GWTW Forum
October 25, 2014, 03:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mac speed  (Read 1630 times)
rncembal
Trade Count: (+2)

« on: January 27, 2011, 02:36 PM »

Wow I just put in a SSD in my old macbook . increased the space a little but the speed is fantastic boots in a seconds and applications launch in one bounce. Cheaper than buying a new one at least for another year.
Rob

Remember before buying on Amazon use this link to help Steve!
http://tinyurl.com/kkid20
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2011, 03:38 PM »

It will improve your battery life and whiten your teeth, too.

Allen, AKA kitehead
rncembal

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2011, 08:49 PM »

I was hoping for hair to, but only where it used to be

GEB
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2011, 09:56 PM »

What SSD did you put in it? The new Macbook Air is a testament to SSD capabilities. It has a slower SSD and a dual core cpu but is very fast at everyday tasks. One bounce for everything it runs.
rncembal

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2011, 10:53 AM »

Kingston SSDNow 128GB SATA 2 Solid State Drive
1 Kingston SNV425-S2/128GB SSDNow V-Series SATA2 2.5 w
From Woot.com  199.00 minus 50 MIR  but tax ahhhh from in state vendor   166.45
if your are going to do it yourself be careful to use all the right srcews in the same holes. And don't forget the shield from the old HD

GEB

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2011, 07:44 PM »

Thanks for the info on the SSD. I have a Dell 1505E laptop that needs a new hard drive and was toying with the idea of using an SSD. I don't really need anything that quick for what I use it for though.
I have a new 27in quad Imac and an Ipad so I have gotten spoiled with their speed. The Imac launches programs on one bounce and is actually faster than the IPad. By comparison you hit the power button on the Dell then go make some lunch while it comes on line.
I just may wait a little longer for the SSD prices to drop some more.
mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2011, 10:57 PM »

... you hit the power button on the Dell then go make some lunch while it comes on line.
I just may wait a little longer for the SSD prices to drop some more.

Enable Hibernate if you can and use that rather then Shut Down, much quicker boots. All our laptops are set to Hibernate when you close the lid, waiting for a laptop seemed weird since it's in your lap. Slow bootups never really bothered me on the desktops but I've always let them run 24/7 so it was just reboots I waited on and those give me an excuse for a smoke break.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
GEB

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2011, 07:38 PM »

Thanks Mike,
We do use hibernate, but even with it engaged this thing is still slow. Cry
One of my sons has multiple degrees in computer programming and I call my daughter for Mac stuff when the Apple tech service experts can't figure things out. All in All I'm in pretty good hands. Thank goodness - because I need it.  Now if I could just find the any key!
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2011, 12:30 PM »

http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/apartmenttherapy/unplggd/~3/MGFawSGnuZM/capacity-vs-performance-solid-state-drives-138172
some info on SSdrives

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
John Welden
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2011, 06:21 PM »

I'm not going to buy a computer with a standard hard drive again. The SSD in my win 7 computer is great.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change