GWTW Forum
December 20, 2014, 02:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Be Careful when you buy a new TV  (Read 2983 times)
Dano
Trade Count: (+9)

« on: January 28, 2011, 08:22 PM »

10 years ago...
new 32" CRT
a few days later-need a new receiver w\ surround sound
a few days later-need a dvd player to replace vcr
a few days later-crap, need a new receiver that has Dolby 5.1 and s-video
a few days later-need better speakers and a powered sub.

last week...
I bought a new big flat screen
a few days later- I need a larger TV console
a few days later-I need a new a/v receiver that has HDMI connections
a few days later-I need a Blu-Ray to really experience HD
a few days later- i need to upgrade DISH to HD w\ a DVR
 Roll Eyes  Cry Cry

I got a good deal on the TV though.  Cheesy
tpatter
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2011, 08:32 PM »

A timely subject!

I bought a Samsung HD TV for Xmas last year - I have traditionally gone with Sony, but I needed a new TV and the Samsung just looked alot better to me image-quality-wise.

It's been a great tv until tonight - 13 months later (1 month out of warranty) and it has a red blinking light near the power button and will not turn on.  I called Samsung, tried their recommendations, and now I am down to likely having to replace it since it is out of warranty.

The TV that is replaced was an 16 year old Sony that worked perfectly.  I gave it away - for all I know it is still working.  They just don't make 'em like they used to!  Smiley

6 kite tom
mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2011, 09:56 PM »

... It's been a great tv until tonight - 13 months later (1 month out of warranty) ...

Dang good engineering there, actually my first TV 40 years ago did the exact same thing, so it's not a new problem. Sure makes you wish you had spent the money on the extended warranty though, but overall those  are a waste of money since most solid state electronics go out quickly or run 5 years or more trouble free barring a power surge or excessive heat.

I've had good luck with my Sony, I finally bought it since whenever I was dreaming of a new TV I would stand back and zero in on the best picture, when I would go for a close look it was always a Sony, but today with the LCD's and LED's that hasn't always held true.

Good marketing how they can upgrade technology a bit on one component and thus convince you that you NEED to buy 3-4 more components to get the most out of your new purchase.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
alleykat
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2011, 06:16 AM »

A timely subject!

I bought a Samsung HD TV for Xmas last year - I have traditionally gone with Sony, but I needed a new TV and the Samsung just looked alot better to me image-quality-wise.

It's been a great tv until tonight - 13 months later (1 month out of warranty) and it has a red blinking light near the power button and will not turn on.  I called Samsung, tried their recommendations, and now I am down to likely having to replace it since it is out of warranty.

The TV that is replaced was an 16 year old Sony that worked perfectly.  I gave it away - for all I know it is still working.  They just don't make 'em like they used to!  Smiley

I had one given to me that did not work. It took about 20 minutes and 4 caps from Radio Shack to fix it. Cost me about 10 bucks and 20 miuntes of my time to replace them. Of course a shop wanted about 150 to fix it. Google makes life easier  Cheesy

Alleykat
Field of Strings
Darkside Newbie
the*real*stoney
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2011, 09:02 AM »

Have any of you considered the possibility that  those expensive TVs are becoming ill because of the rotten programs? How many really decent programs have you seen during the past year, something that had a plausible story line that showed people who were not hacking up their children, wives, girlfriends, husbands, and/or neighbors? When was the last time you saw a TV  program that had an interesting plot involving characters who were working toward a worthwhile goal? You guys need to do is to stand out in the sunshine, make some new friends, learn something new like a new way to fly kites.

Stoney
Mrhide

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2011, 09:40 AM »

A timely subject!

I bought a Samsung HD TV for Xmas last year -It's been a great tv until tonight - 13 months later (1 month out of warranty) and it has a red blinking light near the power button and will not turn on.  I called Samsung, tried their recommendations, and now I am down to likely having to replace it since it is out of warranty.

Plasma right?

DONT BUY PLASMA!
Lee S
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2011, 11:04 AM »

Let's see here....

I just bought a new kite.

Now, I need new lines.
Now I need the UL version.
Now I need the vented version.
Now I need a new MP3 player.

Sound familiar? Face it Dano, we're all suckers for something.   Cheesy Cheesy  (Includes me)

On the up side, a buddy of mine just went through the same thing with his Samsung. His had a bad power supply. Google is your friend.
KaoS
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2011, 03:54 PM »

Check with your consumer affairs department before giving up!!

Obviously consumer laws differ from country to country....  but here in Australia a manufacturer's warranty isn't the only warranty granted under law.  The retailer (I used to be one, I know this law pretty well) has an implicit warranty obligation under consumer law that obliges the retailer to provide warranty for as long as can be reasonably expected that an item functions when used for the purpose it was designed for.

In other words, if you buy a plastic kite and fly it in strong winds, it is reasonable to assume it will last less than one day.  You destroyed it, no warranty.  But if you buy a widescreen TV it is reasonable to assume it will function well for at least 5 years.  So the manufacturer offers a 12 month warranty, they are not obliged to repair or replace your TV after the 12 months.  However, the retailer IS obliged to make reasonable steps to return your TV to working order or replace it.

Most consumers are unaware of this law, and most retailers are quite happy to maintain the customer's ignorance.

Kevin Sanders

Willunga, South Australia
tpatter
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2011, 04:23 PM »

Check with your consumer affairs department before giving up!!

Obviously consumer laws differ from country to country....  but here in Australia a manufacturer's warranty isn't the only warranty granted under law.  The retailer (I used to be one, I know this law pretty well) has an implicit warranty obligation under consumer law that obliges the retailer to provide warranty for as long as can be reasonably expected that an item functions when used for the purpose it was designed for.

In other words, if you buy a plastic kite and fly it in strong winds, it is reasonable to assume it will last less than one day.  You destroyed it, no warranty.  But if you buy a widescreen TV it is reasonable to assume it will function well for at least 5 years.  So the manufacturer offers a 12 month warranty, they are not obliged to repair or replace your TV after the 12 months.  However, the retailer IS obliged to make reasonable steps to return your TV to working order or replace it.

Most consumers are unaware of this law, and most retailers are quite happy to maintain the customer's ignorance.

I've got a happy update on this. 

I called Samsung back to ask them if there was anything that could be done.  She explained that they do have a "leeway" on the warranty expiration and that Samsung will repair it for me.

I never buy those extended warrantys, but I will definitely think about it the next time I buy a tv.

-Tom

6 kite tom
King-J

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2011, 07:22 PM »

10 years ago...
new 32" CRT
a few days later-need a new receiver w\ surround sound
a few days later-need a dvd player to replace vcr
a few days later-crap, need a new receiver that has Dolby 5.1 and s-video
a few days later-need better speakers and a powered sub.

last week...
I bought a new big flat screen
a few days later- I need a larger TV console
a few days later-I need a new a/v receiver that has HDMI connections
a few days later-I need a Blu-Ray to really experience HD
a few days later- i need to upgrade DISH to HD w\ a DVR
 Roll Eyes  :'( :'(

I got a good deal on the TV though.  Cheesy

I here you there, I did the same thing Just before Christmas, bought a new 50" plasma, got tired of the antenna (3 Channels) picture going out, got Dish since Direct could not pick up their Satellites up here among the Tall Pines, same thing DVD player out dated picked up Blue-Ray, sound needed updated 5-1 Surround sound, fortunately for me when I remodeled the Kitchen which lead to the living-room I thought ahead and had the hickory built in entertainment center set up for a 50" TV, Then you have all the cables to get , Is TV entertainment worth the , Do you know I probably could have bought every Kite I ever wanted

My Family, With More To Be Born                          
fidelio
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2011, 10:16 PM »

isn't it also true though, you buy a kite:

now you need a light wind kite,
now you need a high wind kite,
now you need a bigger kite bag,
now you need a few kites to fill out your new kite bag,
and so on, and so forth.

Tongue

could this explain why i have 2.5Tb of external storage for my dvr?

Fdeli
kiteking
Trade Count: (+11)

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2011, 12:41 PM »

Hey guys, who needs all that fancy stuff,.. my big screen is in Oregon, I am in Tucson watching HULU on a 15.6 laptop with built in speakers

"Wind to your back, Kite in the sky."

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-11

#518  -    #110883 -

johnfarl

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2011, 01:00 PM »

It is all about redistribution of your wealth.  Who gets it.  The TV guy or the Kite guy.  Both and you can watch your kite vids on  a big TV
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+20)

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2011, 04:48 PM »

I dont get it. What I've got now is awesome. There is nothing lacking (surround sound is gimmicky)

I watch a ton of movies and TV shows on DVD, VHS and Netflix (haven't had TV for a decade) on a hand me down 32" CRT (10 years old?) with a plain old DVD player, a plain old VCR and a Roku box. Audio feeds into a '90s vintage Sony receiver and out through some very nice '80s vintage Polk monitors.

The CRT will die soon. I'll be spending the upgrade money on kites. I assume they make flat panels about the same size? I suppose the deal breaker would be the lack of good old fashioned RCA connectors.

Allen, AKA kitehead
Steve
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+39)

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2011, 05:33 PM »

Amen brother

Steve ... Ancient One
-look to the sky with imagination, grasp the wind with outstretched arms and take flight
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Kite Classifieds Ad
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum