GWTW Forum
November 24, 2014, 04:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Letting Webshots Go  (Read 1264 times)
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« on: January 26, 2011, 11:33 AM »

After several years, I am letting my Webshots site expire. Since the massive undertaking of shifting everything to Picasa, the only reason to keep Webshots around was for the text information, which I refer to from time to time to slowly add text to the new site.

Well, with several thousand photos still to go, I'm just giving up on the text switch. Many old photos have been text updated, but a lot of info will be gone.

If you are ever on the new site looking at the older albums and have some info to share about the kites or people, please just leave a comment and I will transfer that data to the photo and give text credit to the provider.

Judging by the view count, the old photos don't see a lot of monitor screens anyway. It is just a bit sad to see all the information and stories go away.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 11:56 AM by chilese » Logged

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
JimB
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2011, 09:58 PM »

Well, it is sad.
MtnFlyer
Trade Count: (+50)

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2011, 06:25 AM »

I agree.  Sad  Lots of history and time in those shots. Thanks, John.

Bob
kiteking
Trade Count: (+11)

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2011, 08:58 AM »

John,

What about getting a screen shot of the pages, complete with the text. Sort of like contact sheets.

I went to your site and did a screen capture, and saved as a JPG

Still a lot of work, but at least you would have a record of the pic and text

This example doesn't show all the detail but the actual capture shows the text very well

The Mac has a couple options for capture

"Wind to your back, Kite in the sky."

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-11

#518  -    #110883 -

chilese
Global Moderator

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2011, 12:17 PM »

I don't want to assign anything. And it isn't the titles that are the problem in capturing Mike, it's the text which appears under each separate photo.

If anyone wants to volunteer, just highlight the text, highlight the title from the Webshots page, look at the date of the photo, find the photo on the Picasa website and paste the text and title as a comment.

You do that, and I'll transfer the comment to the photo.

None of the photos will be lost when my Webshots goes away, just the text to thousands of photos.

Thanks for any help.

And if you see a photo in Picasa you have info on, feel free to put up your new info. It doesn't have to be a direct word transfer.  Smiley

vertigo2u

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2011, 12:57 PM »

John,you must have a large number of kite photos.  Would you happen to have them on a disk?  Or could you make one up?  I'd like a crack at putting something together with some of your Best photos with some sound...
These are two of my favorites.  #1 are photos my friend took.  #2 Are photos she took of their dog.  He is an old Army Buddy they had just lost him after years.   It's the kind of video that if you loved your dog gets yur heart. Did his video and lost my Sheppard last July.  I would love to have 500+ photos of kites to work with... Any chance of getting a disk full Huh Tongue

« Last Edit: January 28, 2011, 02:36 PM by vertigo2u » Logged

Kite Bag:  Solus ul, Solus std, Pro Dancer SUL, Widow Maker,Widow Maker UL, Ocius SUL, Vision,Vison 5 stack
Baby "Zoomer". Symphony 1.8 para foil...
chilese
Global Moderator

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2011, 01:40 PM »

I made something similar a few years ago, although not as nice as yours. It was formatted for HD.

Please feel free to use any of the photos for non-commercial use. You can download any or all of the photos at full resolution, easily enough pixels for HD.

My personal favorites are in this album:
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej/FavoritesKites#

You have over 6000 (>5GB) to choose from on the entire Picasa website.  Smiley

Sarah McLachlan is one of my favorite singer/songwriters by the way. Nice choice for the video.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 02:01 PM by chilese » Logged

chilese
Global Moderator

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2011, 12:29 PM »

I just got an email telling me of the successful AUTOMATIC rebill for Webshots.

Call it fate. We'll let 2011 be the last year for Webshots. Although I haven't posted any new pictures on Webshots in 9 months.

Please feel free to transfer any text or to add text to the new Picasa website.

Countdown begins now:

« Last Edit: January 30, 2011, 12:42 PM by chilese » Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum