GWTW Forum
April 19, 2014, 07:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lookin' for a new kite  (Read 6661 times)
DaveH
Trade Count: (0)
« on: April 13, 2009, 06:32 AM »

So here's a classic inquiry...
I've got a bit of money to purchase a new kite and would like some ideas. I'm a recreational flyer and enjoy tricking and freestyle.  I've got a Nirvana, an Exile, a Widow (stds) and a set of QPs, plus lots of older kites. I'm not interested in purchasing used and my cap is $350.
Thinking of a Widow Maker because I like the Widow so much, but beyond that I'd like to hear what others would do.
Thanks for your thoughts!

oh yeah, wind.  My inland winds are often rough, but always blowing. Pretty decent, actually.. Its a rare day I can't fly a standard kite.

Dave
« Last Edit: April 13, 2009, 06:52 AM by DaveH » Logged
portley777

« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2009, 06:43 AM »

Hey Dave, I'd perhaps look at a Talon or a Cosmic TC if the exchange rate works (which it probably doesn't). They're the kites that I find less frustrating and more fun to trick (out of my bag). That's just my preference at the moment. There's lots of other delights out there of course Wink

Cheers,
Mike

kite a fly go
fworley
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2009, 06:48 AM »

Seems like a WM would be more of the same ...

Why not something a little different ... a Benson Deep Space or new Gemini perhaps or a Jest Of Eve Talon ?

British made kites are suddenly more affordable as the exchange rate now again favoring the dollar.

-Frazer
Adicakes
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2009, 06:54 AM »

If you're willing to sacrifice a few tricks for lovely, flowing combinations, then I say grab a Gemini.  If you'd like to hang onto those few tricks and retain almost all of the flow, albeit in a more angular form, then grab a Deepspace.
rxburner
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2009, 07:32 AM »

I would have to say that you could not go wrong with a Sea Devil Standard. If you add an extra set of 3PT lower spreaders, you would be good when the wind drops off a little also.
Rx
DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2009, 07:43 AM »

I'd say a standard Talon sounds like the kite you're looking for. It does well in inland wind, has a wide wind range, is a very capable freestyle kite, and is built exceptionally well. And with today's conversion rate its price is a mere $285.

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
Will Sturdy
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2009, 07:53 AM »

I would second the DS or talon. Most other stuff is fairly similar to what you've got.
fworley
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2009, 08:07 AM »

If you fancy something freestyle oriented and made here in the US ... look at the Focus Kite Hydra.

Its very tricky, very well made and priced ~$280.

Frazer
« Last Edit: April 13, 2009, 08:11 AM by fworley » Logged
DaveH
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2009, 08:24 AM »

Very informed, helpful comments thus far.  Thanks. I didn't realize the British kites had become so affordable.  I have to confess I've always really wanted a DS.  After following Frazer's link to Tim's site, I'm happy to know thats a very doable option.  The Hydra looks good too.  Gotta admit, I'm truly enjoying this dilemma Grin 
Dolphinboy
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2009, 08:56 AM »

A Sea Devil would be a nice change from what's in your bag. Very nice and different from what you have. Try one if you can.

I'd also take a look at the Vendetta they're in your price range. I haven't flown one yet but I want to. I don't think the Deepspace or maybe the Widow Maker UL (since you have a Widow) would be a bad choice either. A Focus kite sounds interesting but there isn't' a lot of feedback yet.

James -
Grants Pass, Oregon
A few kite videos YouTube / Vimeo (Yes, I am a Slacker)
Bill Rogers
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2009, 09:04 AM »

Thanks. I didn't realize the British kites had become so affordable. 

I recently bought an updated Gemini and they are running about $100 less than they were about a year ago with the current exchange rate. Huge difference.
Videocat

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2009, 09:33 AM »

If you like doing tricks you might think about a new kite called the Element. Here is a review on it http://www.kiteclique.com/?p=663
Tracy
fworley
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2009, 09:54 AM »

If you like doing tricks you might think about a new kite called the Element. Here is a review on it http://www.kiteclique.com/?p=663
Tracy

Looks very capable for sure ... but its 265 UKP and even the exchange rate won't save you there ... thats $395.

-Frazer
DaveH
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2009, 01:13 PM »

Lots of nice kites mentioned here.  Now that I know the DS is within reach the kite has become like gravity....
Steve
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+39)

« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2009, 01:21 PM »

Dave ... let me know if you'd like to borrow my DS for a while.

Steve
-look to the sky with imagination, grasp the wind with outstretched arms and take flight
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Cal Custom
kitekids.net

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography