GWTW Forum
August 23, 2014, 10:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Be Careful when you buy a new TV  (Read 2728 times)
tpatter
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2011, 05:46 PM »

I once felt the same way until I bought an HD TV last year.  Now, no way I could go back to a CRT.  If you have an HD signal (Netflix, cable), it is much much better. 

It's just a shame that the new technology seems to be so much more disposable.

6 kite tom
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2011, 05:52 PM »

Well, sure, alot of new stuff is "better" but is better nescesary? In this case, for me, it's not.

Allen, AKA kitehead
GEB
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2011, 08:34 PM »

I see and hear myself in some of your comments about being happy with the old equipment. I donít like change just for the sake of change. But I was really tired of TV commercials with a program wedged in between them and the general junk on 150 channels. Not to mention infomercials.  We bought a few new flats screens and went to streaming. I have watched more quality programming in the last month via this method than I had in the last two years on the Dish. I spent little time in front of the tube before. Now I spend even less but see a whole lot more. I watch what I want when I want. I must admit it has not all been roses though. I am not sure what kind of new pill I may need, which type of car I canít live without and by golly my old mop! It just might be leaving some germs on my floors. What am I to do? Could I be saving money with Geico and Progressive? Maybe I should start sending them $75 a month to find out!

TV's - I doubt any TV made today will last the 18+ years my good old Hitachi did. Man I wished I could buy another one of those.
mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2011, 12:19 AM »

We've been mostly watching a Hannspree 28" 1080 LCD lately in a small room at about 10' distance which pretty well fills our field of view, I watched the Sony 27" CRT the other night at about 15' and sort of struggled with it, small field and not as sharp. We just use a rooftop antenna for a signal, that gives us 4 of the 5 broadcast networks in High Def and 20 + channels. We can't see spending money to receive a TV signal, as stated above there's nothing on. Even when we are out of town and getting 120+ channels we can't find anything we really want to watch, there are maybe two shows we turn on regularly. We can stream Netflix over the Wii and always have a DVD on the way. Otherwise the TV is just white noise in the background for the most part. We do have surround sound in both rooms though, I like the saturation of sound you get when watching movies. I'll also pull up music video's on YouTube and run them through the big surround sound that's hooked to the Sony CRT in the Living Room, the picture quality is secondary in that case since YouTube HD is below what the Sony can do anyway. Broadcast TV is just listened to through the TV speakers.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
fidelio
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2011, 11:30 AM »

a dvr does for tv, what the internet does for computers.

F°deliį
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document