GWTW Forum
October 30, 2014, 11:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Free In Las Vegas  (Read 2964 times)
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« on: February 08, 2011, 02:17 AM »

Sunday, Bambi and I watched the first half of the Super Bowl on the overhead screens at the UNLV basketball stadium. But that was not the draw. We came to watch

Lingerie Bowl VIII: http://www.lasvegassun.com/photos/galleries/2011/feb/06/0206lingerie/

I strongly urge you to go through all the article's photos at full screen. These were some very good players with passes of up to 30 yards in the air and serious tackling.

Then, on Monday, we went to see the first half of the WCPP at the Palms.

http://worldchampionshippowerpong.com/

Total cost for tickets? Zero

And Darren informs me that an Ansel Adams exhibit is showing at the college with original prints, not reproductions, until March 5. Free.

I like this town.  Smiley

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
Gamelord
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2011, 11:20 AM »

And I heard that this Friday there is a kite flying party with demo kites and good friends ----- totally FREE!

fidelio
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2011, 01:10 PM »

count me in!

Fdeli
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2011, 01:23 PM »

Last time I was in Vegas the only things that were free were watered down drinks and day old buffet.

Of course, that was 1980...

Allen, AKA kitehead
Gardner

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2011, 11:00 PM »

John,

With your interest in photography, the Ansel Adams exhibit should be a must-see.  He was and his photos stil are among the greatest even though the shots are black-and-white. There aren't enough superlatives to describe them.

Adams was among my photographers idols along with David Douglas Duncan (the D-Day shots of Omaha Beach), Alfred Eisenstadt of Life Mag and the sailor kissing the nurse at the end of WWII, Josef Karsh whose bulldog shot of Sir Winston is immortal.
reddobie
Trade Count: (+33)

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2011, 06:07 PM »

Guess what, I ill be there this week.

fidelio
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2011, 12:13 AM »

yay

Fdeli
mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2011, 06:57 AM »

John,

....even though the shots are black-and-white....

Huh? I'm sure you didn't mean it like that if you are a photographer or appreciator, Black and White captures feelings and details that color never could.

I spent a year photographing Motorcycle races in Black & White mostly. I shot color one day, those color pics just seemed flat & lifeless even though they were shot on the one sunny day we had. The Black & White shots were through fog and pushed to the limit and although they were technically flat they had life. The color also didn't sell well, I ate 90% of those shots.

I would love to see Adams original work too, you're lucky to have access to them, free or not, enjoy.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Gardner

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2011, 08:58 AM »

You didn't read the  rest of the sentence "......there aren't enough superlatives to describe them."

Gardner
Gardner

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2011, 09:09 AM »

P.S -- BTW  -- I did almost 40 years as a news photog, retiring in 1994.  All my work was black and white, from newborn babies to plane crashes.  Since the digital revolution, everthing almost is color.

Gardner
chilese
Global Moderator

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2011, 11:40 AM »

Remember gentlemen, even a digital sensor is B/W. They put a multi-frequency filter in front of the sensor to recreate the colors. You can always turn the filter off.  Smiley

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2011, 05:58 PM »

Ansel would have LOVED todays digital cameras. He'd be shooting digital 4x5.

Allen, AKA kitehead
Gardner

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2011, 07:36 PM »

...... and we still would be amazed at the outstanding photographs he produce in eithere bw or color.

Gardner
WinterDaze
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2011, 12:47 AM »

Ansel would have LOVED todays digital cameras. He'd be shooting digital 4x5.
As a musing I think, as he was the farther of the zone system, he may not have been so enthused, I could here him arguing the archival merits of film over digital formats, and battery life not keeping up with his week long vigils, not to mention the added weight his donkey would have had to endure. A simple 5x4 and 2 DD slides would have been all he'd of needed in his day, (pod and cable release a given)

I think he may also not be a fan of HDR even though...

I remember the first time I saw an original of 'Moon and Half Dome' at what must have been a wall sized print, it stopped me in my tracks, I couldn't believe how life like a B&W print could look, he and HCB had a lot of influence on me heading down this path (along also with Eisenstadt and Sebastiao Salgado) (with benchmarks like those I have lerned to be content knowing I'm not that good at this photography medium  Grin)

Sorry Il Duce for the little meander... If I was a smidgen closer I'd join you for an afternoon wander...

[/quietly just a little jealous]

WinterDaze AoF
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change