GWTW Forum
November 26, 2014, 09:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking For a Good 0-10 MPH UL???  (Read 7667 times)
rmillerawacs
Trade Count: (+1)

« on: April 13, 2009, 03:26 PM »

I have 2 HQ Breeze's they are nice kites.  But they lack some in the trick department. Can anyone help out?
ezme6
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2009, 03:42 PM »

Where do you fly the most? Do you fly alot or just occasionaly? Most important.....what is your budget? Wink

If you want the best....Fearless SUL

"Do what you like"
ko
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2009, 03:49 PM »

IMO shadow  it is also inexpensive for what it does 0 is pushing it i asked the same question on the old forum actually 0-6 came up with the shadow it is a little sensitive and i have heard there are some out there that don't like it,but everybody i heard from had only good. so now the question is $150or $350+  KO    next--- ps yes if i had the $ it would be the fearless sul someday soon i hope
« Last Edit: April 13, 2009, 03:51 PM by ko » Logged

have fun kurt
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2009, 03:54 PM »

O-10MPH?

In practical terms, no such thing.

Anything that will be pleasant to fly in no wind will be hopelessly over powered in 10MPH. And visa-versa.

Allen, AKA kitehead
rmillerawacs
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2009, 04:26 PM »

475.00$$ Well It is a custom Kite. And man what a beautiful kite as well! Looks like I might Have to try one of these out. I am going to have to be really nice to the wife!!! Thanks for the info on this awesome kite!! As for indoor stuff only where should I look???
« Last Edit: April 13, 2009, 06:14 PM by rmillerawacs » Logged
Dolphinboy
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2009, 10:08 PM »

If you have the $$$ get a Fearless SUL.  Very tricky and a real SUL. I only fly mine in well under 5 mph conditions & I would think that 7-8 mph might be the high end. You can add an xtra set of 3pt lower spreaders. That will help a bit when the wind picks up.  I still wouldn't fly it in 10 mph winds though.

James -
Grants Pass, Oregon
A few kite videos YouTube / Vimeo (Yes, I am a Slacker)
jaybett
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2009, 12:47 AM »

The Fearless SUL is a great kite. Lam rates its top end at 8mph. His kites have a wide wind ranges. Lam kites are easy to fly with no odd characteristics.

Two other choices would be the Exile from Blue Moon Kites or the Widow Maker from Sky Burner. Both Ken and Jon, make kites that handle in land wind condition i.e. variable and inconsistent. Their standards are more like UL's, and their UL's are SUL's. The Widow Maker will fly in higher winds then the Exile. The Exile will fly in very low winds. The Widow Maker has a reputation for flying in low winds, but I have not tried it.

Another interesting choice would be Focus Kites. They have the Jinx which is a full size kite. It is offered in a UL version. The one I flew had good drive in low winds. I felt the Exile would go lower, but Frazer is in a better position to comment on this then I am. They also have the Hydra which is a very nice trick kite.

If you want a kite that is easy to roll up, then take a look at the Talon from Jest of Eve Kites. I've been fortunate to fly a standard a few times, and was quite impressed with it. The UL according to its maker and other fliers is the best of the bunch.

Good luck with your decision,

Jay
Francois
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2009, 01:49 AM »

Talon UL no question... Cool

The new Frank!
Mark E Mark
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2009, 04:36 AM »

My first reaction would be to recommend the Talon UL - however, it is an UL and not a SUL, it won't fly in very close to 0 wind. The difference is that if you do have a couple of mph (perhaps 1 if the wind is smooth) it fly’s very much like a standard and is very capable of all the usual tricks. I also have an Akuji SUL which flies in a little (not much) less wind but is nothing like as much fun to trick as the Talon.

As Allan states - nothing that flies in 0 (an indoor kite) will fly in 10mph (well into standard territory and many venteds can be flown in this).
fworley
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2009, 04:42 AM »

No one kite will serve you well at all for that range, period. You might find a kite which has a big range to cover most of it though.

The Blue Moon Exile can be flown from 2mph (remove tailweight and upper spreader) as can the Benson Deep Space (ditto) up through 10mph - although they are starting to get quick at 10mph.

These ... err tireless ... Fearless SUL champions crack me up ... ask Tom's Bush what he'd recommend to cut your grass and he'd say "Fearless SUL".

-Frazer
DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2009, 06:01 AM »

A Talon UL has a listed wind range of 2 to 12 mph.
And what fun to fly.  Grin

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
ezme6
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2009, 08:04 AM »

These ... err tireless ... Fearless SUL champions crack me up ... ask Tom's Bush what he'd recommend to cut your grass and he'd say "Fearless SUL".

-Frazer

Tom Bush reccomends a good Mexican to cut your grass Cool

"Do what you like"
the*real*stoney
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2009, 08:49 AM »

HQ Breeze, Shadow, Fearless UL, Exile, Widow Maker, Hydra, Talon Huh

All good kites but they are all readily available.

But, if you want to get the best 0 to 10 kite, you will be looking for a vented UL Pizazz with vent covers, a Pizazz Plus, or an M2. But, alas, they aren't readily available. In fact, I would be surprised if any are available - because their owners are satisfied.

But just in case any owners of these kites aren't aware of the qualities of these kites, please contact me.

Stoney
Dolphinboy
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2009, 09:39 AM »

I think that people recommend the Fearless SUL because when there is a request for a SUL that tricks well.... hmmm lets see... IT DOES THAT VERY WELL!!!

It's also super expensive but I never wish I didn't spend the money for it. Just the opposite. Lam's also a nice guy so I feel good buying kites from him and recommending his products.

Good luck

James -
Grants Pass, Oregon
A few kite videos YouTube / Vimeo (Yes, I am a Slacker)
fworley
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2009, 09:56 AM »

I think that people recommend the Fearless SUL because when there is a request for a SUL that tricks well.... hmmm lets see... IT DOES THAT VERY WELL!!!
No doubt ... but anyone flying a SUL in 10mph (see the original posting) needs their head examined.

An SUL is not a good solution for this wind range.

-Frazer
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum