GWTW Forum
August 20, 2014, 03:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking For a Good 0-10 MPH UL???  (Read 7252 times)
JimB
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2009, 10:52 AM »

Best deal out there:

Flying Wings Silver Fox 2.3 UL

Steve has 'em for, like, $135.00?

It's not 0-10MPH.. more like 2 or 3-12MPH.
Jest_of_Eve
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2009, 11:49 AM »

Kind of self-defeating to mention this, but the Cosmic Ghost seems like it will fly in extremely light wind and still trick well.

It's always struck me as being a fine version of the original.

Now enough of this traiterous talk   Lips sealed

Wink

Mark

http://www.jestofevekites.com
http://www.justin.tv/jest_of_eve

The Talon colourizer will increase your sex-drive and save the world from climate change and pixies!
kiten00b
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2009, 12:03 PM »

the new revs have 2 sets of spars and will fly over a very wide wind range
rmillerawacs
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2009, 12:43 PM »

Thanks for all the good info!! I am still thinking about the Fearless!! I might have to wait till the end of may though! I have had a BMK Mamba that was custom made.....got rid of it like a dumb a!@. I think the Fearless would be a nice addition to my kite bag!!! I have looked at the new Focus kites. They are really nice looking kites also!
tpatter
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2009, 12:52 PM »

Fearless Light is a good choice IMO. It readily flys very low (perhaps 2) and will fly up to anything you want to be flying in (say, 15).  It handles both light and medium wind very well - maintains good managable speed and is easily trickable throughout.  Even in high wind, there is no shudder and it is still easy to trick (but the standard is even better in higher wind).  It has some mass so you can throw it around, but it is also very floaty.

For the winds I usually have here - the Light is the one I fly most often.

6 kite tom
Dolphinboy
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2009, 10:26 PM »

I think most of us would agree that 0-10 mph wind range will require at least two kites. I've flown quite a few SULs and ULs and for the most part, they just don't like higher winds. There are some UL I'd fly at 10 mph but only if I didn't bring a standard or thought the wind was going to come back down.

James -
Grants Pass, Oregon
A few kite videos YouTube / Vimeo (Yes, I am a Slacker)
kevspilly
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2009, 10:53 AM »

Quantum Pro SUL has a good wind range but as Frazer said 0-10 is really to wide a wind range to cover on one kite.
Mark E Mark

« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2009, 01:31 AM »

Fearless Light is a good choice IMO. It readily flys very low (perhaps 2) and will fly up to anything you want to be flying in (say, 15).  It handles both light and medium wind very well - maintains good managable speed and is easily trickable throughout.  Even in high wind, there is no shudder and it is still easy to trick (but the standard is even better in higher wind).  It has some mass so you can throw it around, but it is also very floaty.

Blimey, with all due respect I find this very difficult to believe - 15mph! I mean, 15mph is a lot of wind - well into vented territory.
jaybett
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2009, 07:25 AM »

Blimey, with all due respect I find this very difficult to believe - 15mph! I mean, 15mph is a lot of wind - well into vented territory.

Believe it, all the Fearless(es) have surprisingly large wind windows. I've flown my Fearless light, while others have reached for their standards and vented. The standard goes into the high teens/low twenties, and is still able to trick. If anything is over stated is the low end. While it is possible to fly in 2mph, the light isn't comfortable until it gets 3-4mph.

Jay
tpatter
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2009, 10:28 AM »

I think the best wind for FL is 2.5 to 10, but I fly it much higher with no concerns.  When the wind is up in the teens, the standard is easier to trick as you would expect, but the Light it still easier than many others I've flown in that wind. 

My main point was that, when I am only taking one kite to the field, its the Light.  So far, I have not been disappointed with its performance in a variety of winds. 

6 kite tom
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document