GWTW Forum
October 31, 2014, 12:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Northwest Florida  (Read 3684 times)
justinpwheeler
Trade Count: (+7)

« on: February 15, 2011, 09:20 AM »

Just curious to see if there is anyone in the Florida panhandle?  Specifically the emerald coast from Mobile, AL to Panama City Beach.  I am right in the middle near Destin/Navarre Beach. 

Lots of kite boarders but I rarely if ever see a stunt kite. 
« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 04:35 PM by JimB » Logged
alleykat
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2011, 04:44 PM »

I will be down there this weekend in Destin area. Was not planning on bringing dualies just Revs  Grin

Alleykat
Field of Strings
Darkside Newbie
justinpwheeler

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2011, 07:04 PM »

Cool.  We've got great weather the next 10 days.  I actually made it to the beach today but the wind was nowhere near the 7 mph the local weather was reporting.   Funny thing is I bumpEd into a guy trying to fly also.   Maybe local kiters do exist?
Steve
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+39)

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2011, 07:59 PM »

Chris was flying her Warrior on Destin Beach this past Sunday

Steve ... Ancient One
-look to the sky with imagination, grasp the wind with outstretched arms and take flight
justinpwheeler

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2011, 08:21 PM »

I was at the wrong beach!  Actually I was fishing Navarre pier.... I did not say I was catching but it was fun nonetheless.
Christine
Forum Princess
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2011, 07:10 PM »

I will be there tomorrow too.we were at Beasley Park in Okaloosa Island...Im not sure if that is where we will be tomorrow but its where they usually go!Its nice! Dont think Ill be flying cause had 3 teeth pulled and in pain but "Its the Beach!" Pain or no pain I gotta go to the beach cause we leave for home Sunday! Weather is spectacular! Grin

Blue Moon Princess ;0)
aka Warrior Princess too!

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "Oh Crap, She's up!"
justinpwheeler

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2011, 07:44 PM »

That's great!  My wife and I are renting a Destin condo with some friends this weekend as a mini stay-cation.  I already have my few kites in the car ready to go.  Beasley is a great park.   I was down at The Boardwalk on the island on Tuesday trying to fly but with little wind. 

Thank you for bringing some warm weather to the area.  Last week was just miserable! 
greenbulletblues
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2011, 06:57 AM »

What a shame.  I just saw this post this morning.  We were at Navarre this weekend 2/19.  Beautiful weather, great winds on Saturday and not bad on Sunday morning.  Met many nice people as a result of kite flying. Next time we go I'll drop you an email and see if you're up for flying.  We usually go down the island to were the beach is wide and there aren't as many people.  You probably know, but there is a Kite Festival on 4/2/11 in Ft. Walton.  We plan on being there.
justinpwheeler

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2011, 07:16 AM »

That's great!  I do plan on being at the "festival" in April.    I usually fly out past the houses at the first parking lot in the national park.  Definitely shoot me a line when you come back down.
greenbulletblues

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2011, 07:47 AM »

First parking lot past the houses is where we usually go.  This weekend we went a little further down to the park where there were bathrooms.  The water is still too cold, if ya know what I mean.
justinpwheeler

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2011, 07:51 AM »

That's the exact same place I go and will be later today!  The park with the bathrooms is called Opal Beach, I think. I have never been because I didn't want to pay the entrance fee during season.  And yes, the water is far too cold right now.  It needs another month or two.
greenbulletblues

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2011, 07:56 AM »

No entrance fee until Memorial day.  Horay !!!! FREE bathrooms for everybody.  Up side also, several parking lots so people are more spread out there.
justinpwheeler

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2011, 03:20 PM »

I was out there today.  It was nice, but there is definitely, more rocks and debris in the sand than my normal spot.  It was a nice, light wind day.  My wind meter is on my iPhone and it doesn't read well below 6 mph.  I was getting no reading on it until I blew on it.  Then it would hang around 5 mph for a bit and then nothing.  I figure the actual wind was maybe 5 mph from the south.  A sweet wind for my silverfox UL.  Let me know when you come back down.  Mardi GRAS parade is march 5.  Beach will be hopping that day.
greenbulletblues

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2011, 06:30 AM »

Justin, your right about all the rocks and debris.  I was a little surprised since it was a park.  I guess the chunks of asphalt and other man made debris is what I was most surprised about.  The beach furthest towards Pensacola was a lot cleaner.
I'm buying some new toys today, main item is the Rev. B, yep, stepping to the dark side.  See you in sunny, breezy Navarre FL soon.
justinpwheeler

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2011, 06:53 AM »

Yeah, I think the debris is from Hurricanes Opal, Ivan and Dennis.  You know that road was closed for the longest time as it got washed out?  I bet they just didn't remove all the damaged asphalt for the cost of sifting and removing would likely be prohibitive and damage the remaining beach. 

I got a new toy yesterday too, a Mantis V2.  Hopefully I get the winds to fly it.  I'll be looking forward to meeting you and putting some kites in the sky when you come back this way.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change