GWTW Forum
November 23, 2014, 02:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Northwest Florida  (Read 3727 times)
Christine
Forum Princess
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2011, 03:24 PM »

Bummer..I am back in Calif now! I went to Beasley Park one last time before i had to leave for home and still no one was out there..My sister was all bundled up and my daughter and I were in shorts and tank top and in the water! It was so nice! Warm water compared to Calif beaches! I would have gotten all the way in the water but we were going shopping after we left the beach lol Im bummed cause I never saw other kite fliers and there was only 2 kite surfers and a kite with a guy strapped on with a huge motor like you see on those boats that are used in the everglades  lol I know they have a name but cannot think of it for the life of me at this moment haha! Getting old I guess! Well, maybe one day I will go back and if you are all still there we can meet up and fly! take care and fly one for me on those beautiful beaches!

[attachments older than 90 days deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 03:37 PM by Christine » Logged

Blue Moon Princess ;0)
aka Warrior Princess too!

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "Oh Crap, She's up!"
justinpwheeler
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2011, 06:41 AM »

Great pictures!  I stopped at Beasley on Friday on my way to Destin, but the wind was almost dead.  Saturday I flew a bit by our condo in Destin that we rented for the weekend.  The water was way too cold for me, but the family and I did soak up some rays.  We'll be at our beaches in Navarre this weekend as we are expecting mid to upper 70s again.  The water really isn't warm enough in my opinion until at least April.  That's how we can tell the tourists from the locals.  LOL!

I told my wife when I moved here that if I didn't know it was sand I would almost say we were in the Colorado foothills after a light snow because those dunes are so spectacular in shape and color.
greenbulletblues
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2011, 06:11 AM »

Christine, I chuckled about the pontoon kite, I was there the weekend after you and it was out flying again.  Nice pics, is that a tube tail?  I made a flat tail for my kite and it gets all wound up.  I was going to but a swivel on it to see if that helped and then turn it into a tube if that failed.  Should I just go directly to the tube style?
It's a shame you didn't get any flying friends while you were there. There are a few flyers, but not many.  Post if you ever go back, maybe we can all meet up.  Let me know your thoughts on the tail?
Christine
Forum Princess

« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2011, 09:07 PM »

Tube tail for sure!! I dont like flat tails and this one was actually made for me by Dick Barnes of Pizazz Kites to match my custom kite that Steve and Dick created together on a chat. Steve surprised me with the kite on my 40th birthday. It matched my Pizazz #143 perfectly and now it looks so beautiful on my warrior. Its a 65' tail and is a perfect length! Ya and the pontoon kite was flying right in the path of the kite surfers to the point that they were flying over the beach and staying close to shore and low so the pontoon wouldnt cross up with them..kinda scary. I would love to go back to Florida and spend the entire time flying on the beach lol I wish I could have spent a lot more time there but had a great time spending time with my family! Anyway, I would seriously go straight to the tube tail but that is my personal preference! I think they look much better and flow much smoother and dont flap like a flat tail! I want pics when you get it made!  Smiley

Blue Moon Princess ;0)

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "Oh Crap, She's up!"
greenbulletblues

« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2011, 09:18 AM »

Christine It wont take me long to turn it into a tube tail.  Its already about 5 wide, I think, so its just a matter of sewing it up. I have to do something, because when it is all twisted up it looks like crap anyway. Some more questions for you, does your tail have something at the mouth to hold it open or does it just have a 3 point connection on the tail?  Im trying to get an idea of the diameter of your tail, if you lay it flat, how wide is it? Im thinking I might need to add another panel onto mine before I sew it up into a tube.  At 50 ft. thats a lot of weight though.  Please give me any details you can, much appreciated.
mikenchico

« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2011, 02:53 PM »

The line used in string trimmers (edgers used in yard maintenance) works well to hold open the front if you choose to go that way. A 5" circumference gives you a 1.6" diameter, hopefully yours is a bit wider.

http://www.datedial.com/datCircle_Solver.asp

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
greenbulletblues

« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2011, 06:13 AM »

Mike thanks, the trimmer line is a good idea.  I measured the tail I made last night and it is only 4 wide, bummer !!!!!   The tail I made is striped, so I can add another 2.5 to the width and still hold the symmetry, which would make it roughly 2 diameter.  Not exactly the 3 diameter I would have preferred, but I think it will look OK.  Back to the sewing machine.
mikenchico

« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2011, 07:37 AM »

Some tails have a funnel type leading edge to get a bit more air into them. I can't say if it helps or just creates undo drag but you might give it a thought while your sewing.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Christine
Forum Princess

« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2011, 01:18 PM »

Thanks Mike..I dont have my kite or tail here but it has a stiff rim around the opening and a 3 point tow point and I believe the width of the opening is only 3-4 inches  but not sure!Im just trying to visualize it right now lol So at this point Id say Mike is definitely good at the making of this stuff so he is probably right on with his info..ok not probably he is haha..I just know how to attach it and know its beautiful when its flying behind my kite  Grin

Blue Moon Princess ;0)

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum