GWTW Forum
July 23, 2014, 05:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ever lose a standoff?  (Read 1849 times)
kiteking
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2011, 09:47 PM »

I too have lost a stand-off only to find it another day...

But I have a more recent Needle in the Haystack story.

I was packing up the house in Tucson last week and had numerous cardboard boxes left over so I took them to the local recycle dumpster. As I was tossing in the boxes I felt a strange thing, looking down at my left hand I knew what happened, my wedding ring had flown off my finger into the dumpster....

Luckily I was tossing into the bin closest to the door, and the dumpster had been emptied the day before. I opened the door and about 50 bundles of newspaper spilled out, I moved the bundles to another dumpster begin sifting through the dumpster,shinning my flashlight around in search of the ring, after about and hour and a half I moved a chair out and shined the light around and WOW!! there was my ring... I was both relieved and amazed, after that I wore gloves while unloading the boxes. The next day I went to get my ring re-sized....

"Wind to your back, Kite in the sky."

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-11

#518  -    #110883 -

indigo_wolf
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2011, 06:00 AM »

But I have a more recent Needle in the Haystack story.

Oooohh...  I have one of those....

Some years back, I was working for Verizon in midtown Manhatten. One days, I had a recently acquired tanzanite and diamond ring in my pocket.  It was in a cotton lined film cannister.  Unfortunately I was wearing a pair of pants with extremely shallow pockets.  At the end of the day, I noticed that it was no longer there.  Frantically looked around for it, and then asked one of the cleaning crew, if they had seen a film cannister around my desk.  They said that they had thought it was just trash, and it probably went downstairs with the last batch of trash. 

After many internalized obsceneties, I went down to the security desk and asked where the trash was gathered.  I explained the situation and they let me back into the dock area  where all the dumpsters were.  As I climbed into one of the dumpster the security guard asked me what I was doing. I explained that I was going to find my tanzanite and diamond ring and asked him what he would do in my situation.  He thought about it for a bit and finally relented.  He said I couldn't make a mess and that the garbage trucks would be coming around midnight to haul stuff away.  Oh goodie.... now I had a deadline.

The average size office building tower in midtown Manhatten generates an obscene amount of trash in a given workday... honestly I don't think most people think about it past the little trash bin underneath their desk.  It's certainly a different proposition when you look up at the mountain from the loading dock and the end of the day.

For the next 6 or 7 hours, I methodically dismantled the company's daily offering to the trash gods.  As I searched, I was also looking for clues as to what floor and department's trash I was working through, hoping I could work my way back to the trash from my floor. Shortly, after midnight, I became more and more worried I would soon hear the groan and strain of the large doors letting the garbage trucks in.  I was sweaty, tired, and a tad more odorous than when I had I started.  Then, like some cheesy movie, I started recognizing  discarded mail addressed to my floor (small internal "yip"),  then mail addressed to co-workers (larger internal "yip").  At that point, I was pretty much in dog-after-a-bone mode.

Wait!!!... was that a flash of black & gray?  Does black & gray actually flash? No... it could just be someone else's film or empty canister, but then there wouldn't be a happy ending. I climbed back on the dock. Opened the canister, and verified it was in fact mine (big "Yeeeeessss!!" echoing off the walls). Instead of my pocket, the canister and it's contents went immediately into the internal pockets of my knapsack.  I double-checked that there was little or no evidence of any havoc on the docks or in the dumpsters(?!?!), before I went up to the security desk to let them know that I had found my ring (they were a little shocked and all wanted to see it). Then I headed off to Port Authority to catch the last bus home.... it had been a long day.

ATB,
Sam
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document