GWTW Forum
December 19, 2014, 07:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Recommended trainer?  (Read 3359 times)
Smeagol
Trade Count: (+83)

« on: February 21, 2011, 03:43 PM »

Hi all,

I guess I'm what you would call a "noob" when it comes to duals even though I've had them in one form or another for over 20 years now.  I've just recently started trying to learn tricks on them.  I'm kind of backwards in that I started out flying on quads and never really got into the trick scene on the dualies.  I would usually just go with the Flexifoils if I was in the dual mood and stack them if I wanted a workout.

I'm wondering, which kite would you recommend for learning on?  This is what I have in the collection to choose from:

NewTech French Kiss
NewTech Firestorm
Quantum Pro
Zephyr
Prophecy
Macro-Ion
Thor's Hammer
R-Sky Jordana

I've left out a few older models and generics, along with the Microns as I wouldn't think to try learning tricks on a Micron.  Wink  I'm fairly sure I do not want to attempt learning on the Thor's either unless I'm feeling insane.  I know most really depends on the flyer more than the kite itself, but I thought it might make sense to try sticking with the same kite while learning.  Is that wrong?  I know some of these are older kite designs also, would you recommend I get something more modern?

Currently my skills are extremely limited.  I've managed a few axels, fades, a lazy-susan but some was on accident while the kite was flailing around out of control.  Huh  I guess you could say I'm still getting used to the basics.

Input appreciated.

thanks,
  Mike
« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 07:48 PM by Smeagol » Logged
tpatter
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2011, 03:50 PM »

Of those you mentioned, I have flown: NewTech French Kiss, Quantum Pro, Zephyr, Prophecy, Thor's Hammer.

From those above, I would recommend the Zephyr by far for modern tricks.

6 kite tom
DD
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2011, 04:23 PM »

i would also say zephyr and q pro

Sine Metu!
Ace
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2011, 05:26 PM »

I say go for something more modern, the Q-pro is now dated and feels a little quirky (more difficult to trick) than its modern free flowing counter parts. The Zeph, although more modern (and good looking) is still a light wind kite and it is built as such. (Not as forgiving to noob inputs) Personally I think it has some odd flight characteristics. Feels much heavier on the lines than it really should.

I say go for an actual trick trainer kite like the Mohawk, something bigger from the R-sky range or ultimatelly a Benson, can't go wrong there.

The French did start somewhat of a trick revolution a while a go....... or did we forget about that. Wink

As for Benson, his kites are in a league of their own.  Smiley

In the bag... Quantum Fire, E2 Ice, Micron Red, Deepspace STD and UL Blue, Nirvana Orange, KFX Red, Mohawk XS yellow.
ko
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2011, 06:00 PM »

an exile would def. be a great place to start, they trick but also are capable of flat axles and look good doing  the older style stuff as well. great all around kite although in my hands it liked the lower wind range, somewhat in the zephyr range you can definatley work a trade with what you have (get rid of the zeph) hope this helps have fun KO

have fun kurt
Smeagol

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2011, 06:04 PM »

Yep, I couldn't manage much first flight w/the Zephyr other than uncontrolled chaos, although it was in 10-15MPH which probably is not ideal for it.  I definitely need more time on it.

I've been thinking about picking up a Gemini, they seem made for tricking.  Thanks for the recommendations so far!

Heh, not a Zeph fan eh ko?

thanks,
  Mike
bigpappo1
Trade Count: (+8)

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2011, 06:49 PM »

Of the kites listed, the French Kiss has a lot going for it durable, tricks, price and Steve may still have some. It's going to take a while of flying before you really catch on to what's happening. For what it's worth, there's no use in paying a bundle for a kite until then. As you move up the learning ladder and feel your ready, that's the time to spend on a better kite.
cerfvoliste
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2011, 06:59 PM »

Of all the kites on your list, I would recommend the Zephyr. dispite all the rumors, it is not a light wind kite and is very durable. The new 2011 colors are very nice too.
CV

Alfredo
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2011, 07:41 PM »

Hi. For trick flying, I don't think that the Thor is a very good option. (I feel it could limit you because of the size and wind range) I, too, would recommend a Zephyr. If you buy it, be sure to get some good lines, though. I bet you guys have said this before, but the Zephyr is the only kite I've broken lines on. Also, if you are going to use this as a trainer kite I would surely go for a kite that is modern. I say that because finding parts for a Prophecy is more difficult than finding parts for a Zephyr. Some people say they like the Zephyr better than the Quantum Pro. I would look for local flyiers that might have the kites that you are looking into buying and give them a test fly. If not, you could  buy a Z from Steve at a GREAT price and a Quantum. that would be like $260.  (less than a Quantum Pro)
You can practice on the Quantum and once you get comfortable with some basics and you are not diving into the ground, you could move on to the Z in low winds and short lines.
The Z's from Steve will not last long at that price... I got a Quantum and a Zephyr and I don't regret it.
CV- Have you tried flying with short- maybe 50ft lines? Your surroundings might also be interfering with your wind. Where do you usually fly?

Alfredo.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 07:46 PM by Alfredo » Logged

I fully appreciate the ability of trees to attract kites. They have special powers that way. (Quote by - Charlie Dunton)
Smeagol

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2011, 07:47 PM »

Sorry should have clarified more, I already have all the kites I listed.  Was just wondering what would be best to learn on out of what I have or if I should seek out something else, etc.

Is the 2011 Zephyr any different than previous years besides color schemes?

-Mike
bigpappo1
Trade Count: (+8)

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2011, 07:52 PM »

I hope they use better TE material!.
Alfredo
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2011, 07:56 PM »

Sorry should have clarified more, I already have all the kites I listed.  Was just wondering what would be best to learn on out of what I have or if I should seek out something else, etc.

Is the 2011 Zephyr any different than previous years besides color schemes?

-Mike
No worries. The only difference between the two is the color and the bag it comes with. I am not sure if it still comes with the extra line set, though.
Alfredo.

I fully appreciate the ability of trees to attract kites. They have special powers that way. (Quote by - Charlie Dunton)
fidelio
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2011, 11:42 PM »

+1 for the Zephyr.
to me, it'd be the least quirky and most cooperative of those on your list. over 9mph though i'd switch for the qpro and longer lines.

Fdeli
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+20)

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2011, 11:59 PM »

You certainly don't need any more kites right now (never stopped me,though).

The Jordana is a great trick trainer in higher wind, but small & quick. The QPro and Zenith can do far more than most people cold learn in a year or more. The big kites are fun, but harder to learn on.

Allen, AKA kitehead
KaoS
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2011, 12:26 AM »

Out of what you have... Zephyr!  Pretty neutral, reasonably forgiving, very trick capable, and (apart from the trailing edge tunnel) fairly robust.

Despite the fact it was originally described as a "light wind kite", it isn't really - it's pretty much a standard.

Kevin Sanders

Willunga, South Australia
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Kite Classifieds Ad
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum