GWTW Forum
August 22, 2014, 04:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Recommended trainer?  (Read 3036 times)
mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2011, 07:45 AM »

Yep your set for kites for starters, the Q Pro & Zephyr cover a decent wind range while keeping enough inertia, even on the Zephyr. Watch video's, practice, fly with others for some pointers.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Smeagol
Trade Count: (+79)

« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2011, 11:37 AM »

Thanks all for the great input!  I will definitely put more time in on the Zeph.  I think I just got frustrated first time out as I couldn't seem to do anything with it, but it was not ideal conditions.  I have watched the videos, but it's quite a bit to take in all at once.  I'll need to watch them again I suppose.

You certainly don't need any more kites right now (never stopped me,though).
Indeed!  ..and that's only a fraction of them.  I do have a problem, heh.   Wink
DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2011, 12:00 PM »

Make the trip up to Chico the first Sunday of the month.
You can get some hands on training from Mike & Steve. They've been at it for years.  Wink

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
tpatter
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2011, 12:42 PM »

Have you seen these?

Prism Zephyr showcase

Prism Zephyr, 1st Flight

6 kite tom
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2011, 01:38 PM »

Make the trip up to Chico the first Sunday of the month.
You can get some hands on training from Mike & Steve. They've been at it for years.  Wink

Denny

And Denny, he might be the newcomer but he's way past me and teaching me now.   Cool

I've watched all those video's and read all the instructions too and I get on the field and just go ... what hand does what now? Somebody standing there saying pull the top down let it rotate to nose away and slightly up and hit the top again is priceless, that's how Denny finally taught me the Slot Machine.

« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 01:45 PM by mikenchico » Logged

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Smeagol

« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2011, 09:06 PM »

Yep, I've seen those tpatter.. thanks for posting them up though.

I hearya Mike, I'm the same way.  I usually just get frustrated and break out the quads or flexifoils.

I'll definitely try making it to the next monthly fly though.

-Mike
Shane
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2011, 12:51 PM »

I have been flying for about 6 month now... the only kite I have is the JoE Talon UL... that said, I am certainly not a pro :-) but what has helped me with learning tricking is to focus on one trick at a time... the basics first of course... snap stall, side slide, axel, half axel...etc. I have spent whole days doing nothing but trying snap stalls... :-) after you get a few of those try something like the lazy suzan or back flip... just take your time... I just learned my first few rungs of a jacobs ladder last week. Don't get frustrated when you can't get it right away. Have fun, the tricks will come in time. :-)

"Once you have flown, you will walk with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you long to return." Leonardo Da Vinci
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2011, 04:08 PM »

Of those you mentioned, I have flown: NewTech French Kiss, Quantum Pro, Zephyr, Prophecy, Thor's Hammer.

From those above, I would recommend the Zephyr by far for modern tricks.
  I'll second this.  THe Z opened up a lot of trick for me.

Yep, I couldn't manage much first flight w/the Zephyr other than uncontrolled chaos, although it was in 10-15MPH which probably is not ideal for it.  I definitely need more time on it.
  THe Ideal range for tricking the Zeph is 3-8 and up to 12 with the weight in and a lot of forward movement
Smeagol

« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2011, 12:00 AM »

Yep, that's what I'm doing, concentrating on one trick at a time.. or at least trying.  heh

I took the Zephyr out today.  Managed to do a fade or two from the ground for about 5-10 seconds.  Most of the time though it seemed as there wasn't enough wind to maintain the fade, even with me walking backwards.  Practiced snap stalls, slides and a few other basics but the wind was really fluctuating so it made being consistent difficult.

I've gotta say, I have to call BS on the 1 MPH rating for the Zeph.  I know I'm not in the ideal area being inland & all, but it must've been in the 3-10mph range today and it seemed to struggle to keep aloft at times.  I was on 50# 60' lines so I know it wasn't the lines weighing the kite down.  Maybe I need to tweak with the bridle as someone recommended.

unfortunately, mine didn't come with the weight.  I got it from the local kite shop as one of the blems Prism deemed unsellable, but for some reason they didn't include the weight.  It was a kite-only deal.

-Mike
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 12:02 AM by Smeagol » Logged
Ca Ike

« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2011, 01:51 AM »

Yep, that's what I'm doing, concentrating on one trick at a time.. or at least trying.  heh

I took the Zephyr out today.  Managed to do a fade or two from the ground for about 5-10 seconds.  Most of the time though it seemed as there wasn't enough wind to maintain the fade, even with me walking backwards.  Practiced snap stalls, slides and a few other basics but the wind was really fluctuating so it made being consistent difficult.

I've gotta say, I have to call BS on the 1 MPH rating for the Zeph.  I know I'm not in the ideal area being inland & all, but it must've been in the 3-10mph range today and it seemed to struggle to keep aloft at times.  I was on 50# 60' lines so I know it wasn't the lines weighing the kite down.  Maybe I need to tweak with the bridle as someone recommended.

unfortunately, mine didn't come with the weight.  I got it from the local kite shop as one of the blems Prism deemed unsellable, but for some reason they didn't include the weight.  It was a kite-only deal.

-Mike
  You don't really need the weight for the Zeph.  I only use it in 8+ and the weight adds a lot of oversteer.  NOW as for the rating I have had mine up in 0-2 quite a few times but it needs a lot of footwork and you have to be smooth on the inputs or you pull it out of the sky.  ANother note is I never move from the light wind knot unless its a steady 6-7 mph and even then only 1/4-1/2 inch.  One bridle mod you can make AFTER you get a feel for the kite, is move the light wind knot 2 cm higher than it is stock.  This will give you more adjustment range for light wind and still keeps it in flyable range, other than that you don't need to mod the bridle.  I also never fly my Z on anything shorter than 75' x 65-80# unless I'm goofing off in 0 wind then I have a 40' set I use.

Now if you haven't gotten one yet plan on getting a wind meter as soon as you can.  That 3-10 mph you think you were flying in was more than likely 0-5.  IF forecast says its 10 mph inland plan on it being maybe 5 mph on the ground since most monitoring stations are 50 foot up on top of buildings with a clear line of sight to the horizon.  One thing you can look at to judge is the trees and grass.  IF the leaves are rustling, grass is moving and you can barely feel the breeze, but branches(over 1/8 inch thick) aren't moving then the wind is generally 2 mph or less.

The most important thing though is ...MOVE YOUR FEET.  As simple as that sounds its real easy to forget and you might be surprised to find when your having trouble staying aloft, its after a tight turn, stall, trick or an over aggressive input and you never moved to keep the line tension up  or take up the slack you gave, but rather standing still pumping your arms hoping there is enough wind to do it for ya.  I think we all can admit to doing that from time to time.  Smiley
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2011, 10:29 PM »

That 1 MPH rating is for smooth steady breezes, I didn't have much time on the Zeph but as I recall it would probably do 1 MPH in smooth beach winds without undo effort. You can pretty much assume nothing will fly "effortlessly" in variable swirling inland winds under 3 MPH. Fades from the ground inland are pretty unreliable too except on those few days the wind is coming in clear, that's not too often here. You'll soon master the 3 step, that's 3 steps back when nose up & 3 steps forward when nose down or tricking and learn to feel and take advantage of every smooth moment that happens through.

Ca Ike

« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2011, 11:25 PM »

That 1 MPH rating is for smooth steady breezes, I didn't have much time on the Zeph but as I recall it would probably do 1 MPH in smooth beach winds without undo effort. You can pretty much assume nothing will fly "effortlessly" in variable swirling inland winds under 3 MPH. Fades from the ground inland are pretty unreliable too except on those few days the wind is coming in clear, that's not too often here. You'll soon master the 3 step, that's 3 steps back when nose up & 3 steps forward when nose down or tricking and learn to feel and take advantage of every smooth moment that happens through.

Couldn't have said it better myself.  Took me a while to figure this out and make it a habit but it does make managing shifty winds a lot easier.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document