GWTW Forum
September 14, 2014, 09:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Virtual Freestyle on Facebook  (Read 2189 times)
zippy8
Trade Count: (+13)

« on: February 21, 2011, 11:46 PM »

Here, I hope. Links to pages that you have to be registered to see have a habit of doing odd stuff in my experience.

Mike.

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
zippy8

« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2011, 10:56 PM »

32 members  Smiley Not quite Lil Wayne but who really wants that ?

Mike.

Steve
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+39)

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2011, 11:57 PM »

OK OK ... I'm in!

Steve ... Ancient One
-look to the sky with imagination, grasp the wind with outstretched arms and take flight
DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2011, 05:39 AM »

Facebook is probably the most dangerous site on the web. If you care at all about your privacy or protecting your personal information.
When asked "why people willing give him all their personal information?" Mr. Mark answered "because they're dumb f*cks."

Denny
« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 07:21 AM by DWayne » Logged

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2011, 06:45 AM »

You only give up information that you want to, to who you want to. I don't see why people make such a big deal about loss of privacy. FB is a great tool for keeping in touch with friends & family that live far away.
If used improperly, FB is certainly a dangerous place for your computer.... stay away from the sidebar advertising and those stupid games.

DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2011, 07:19 AM »

Simple fact, Mark Zuckerberg has made billions selling other people's personal information.
Make your own decisions, but be aware of the reality of facebook.

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
Jared

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2011, 09:36 AM »

Does this mean I won't be able to enter future VF competitions because I don't have a Facebook account?
Yan
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2011, 09:53 AM »

Does this mean I won't be able to enter future VF competitions because I don't have a Facebook account?

No. The main place for information regarding VF will remain the VF section of Fractured Axel, although I will try to keep posting significant stuff on GWTW as well.

Yan

Steve
Global Moderator

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2011, 09:56 AM »

Kudos to Mr. Z for having figured out a way to make money collecting information that we have always given away for free.
I don't understand why people are paranoid about someone finding out their phone number and address.  Not too many years ago the phone company not only gave it away they delivered it to almost everyone in the US via phone books (do those still exist?)
Photos? We thought nothing about dropping film off to be developed by some high school kid that obviously had the ability to make copies.
While I agree that the games and ads could hold potential risks like everything on the internet understanding the risks and avoiding risky behavior usually limits the potential for damage.

Steve ... Ancient One
-look to the sky with imagination, grasp the wind with outstretched arms and take flight
zippy8

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2011, 12:51 PM »

Facebook is probably the most dangerous site on the web
Puh-leaze. I've said a million times before that I'm all for hyperbole but that is off into tin-foil hat / Glenn Beck territory.

Simple fact, Mark Zuckerberg has made billions selling other people's personal information.
Simple, possibly, but wrong, definitely. Facebook makes its silly money because it offers advertisers "eye time" as it has a huge user base. I find this stuff (and Google's ads. in my mail) unbelievably easy to ignore. The info. that FB has on me is what I've put there and, like almost everybody there, it is a tiny subset of enough information to make any difference.

FYI... my tax records are online. In two countries. Sites like 192.com in the UK aggregate wholly public knowledge in a way that might have you heading for the root cellar. It's oh-so-very-much No Big Deal.

Anyhooo.... VF has a minor presence on FB. And FA. And GWTW. And it's own website. As always, join in if you like. That really is all its ever been about.

Mike.

fidelio
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2011, 01:42 PM »

Not too many years ago the phone company delivered your phone number and address to almost everyone in the US via phone books
what the phone company did was deliver those books in your immediate region, not nationally, not globally. while the scale was large, the scope was small.

Fdeli
mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2011, 11:37 PM »

I share only the basics on Facebook and turning off all App's keeps your friends from inadvertently (under-educated) sharing your information. I volunteer my real name, location & gender, but that's about all the info 3rd parties can then harvest, safer then many other things we do. Google is a much larger tracker & harvester of info, but you can check what they have on record. A little diligence keeps the amount within my comfort range  despite also using a 'Droid phone and sharing location. I could easily be characterized as paranoid about such things, but a few minutes spent learning how info is harvested, blocking what you feel uncomfortable with and not posting on forums, blogs and social sites anything you don't want everyone to know easily retains the level of privacy you want.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
tpatter
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2011, 11:58 PM »

Android gives more info to Google than ever before. They know where you are, what you read, what you write, what you search, far more than FB.

They don't track individuals specifically, but they certainly profile and sell access to the aggregated demographics which is how they are so successful at making money.

We all seem to have traded privacy of our information for convenience of services. So far, the manipulators seem to have been benevolent.

6 kite tom
Jared

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2011, 07:58 AM »

The difference is that now, compared to then, that information holds much greater value.  Because of the way data is now cross-referenced and stored, and because of how quickly it can be accessed, having a few pieces of personal data is incredibly valuable to a company.  Plus, in the information age, that data doesn't decay or disappear the way it did in the paper-based days of the past.

The fact is, companies pay hundreds of thousands of dollars (or even millions) in order to access targeted demographic data about their customers and potential customers, and we, as consumers, are willing to trade it away for something like a $5 coupon off our next purchase at Best Buy.  We've been sold on a one-way street here.  If our information is that valuable, then we should be offered a fair price to trade it away.

I always shudder when I go into a retail store and hear all my fellow consumers giving away things like their address or phone number to a salesperson, simply because that person asked; and never questioning why a store needs that much information on it's customers.

Kudos to Mr. Z for having figured out a way to make money collecting information that we have always given away for free.
I don't understand why people are paranoid about someone finding out their phone number and address.  Not too many years ago the phone company not only gave it away they delivered it to almost everyone in the US via phone books (do those still exist?)
Photos? We thought nothing about dropping film off to be developed by some high school kid that obviously had the ability to make copies.
While I agree that the games and ads could hold potential risks like everything on the internet understanding the risks and avoiding risky behavior usually limits the potential for damage.
Steve
Global Moderator

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2011, 10:15 AM »

I get that it is different now and poses a greater potential risk.
My point was simply that we make our personal info available in other forms with out much thought. There are still people that don't trust the internet to pay bills and conduct other financial transactions yet seem okay with dropping a personal check in the mail.  Or handing their credit card to a waitress who disappears with it for 5 minutes (which is exactly how I had fraudulent  usage of a card many years ago).

Just think a lot of people are overly paranoid.

In some respects aren't we "offered a fair price to trade it away" by the use of "free" services?  I have been using most of Google's services for years on a daily basis and never paid a dime out of pocket.  Facebook had allowed me to connect to family and friends I probably never would have reconnected with and again no out of pocket expense. So far, and maybe I have just been lucky, the only "bad" things that have happened is that I get targeted advertising and maybe a few more emails for my spam filters to catch. A trade that, so far, I have been willing to make.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 10:17 AM by Steve » Logged

Steve ... Ancient One
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document