GWTW Forum
August 22, 2014, 04:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Virtual Freestyle on Facebook  (Read 2150 times)
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2011, 10:59 AM »

Just think a lot of people are overly paranoid.

In some respects aren't we "offered a fair price to trade it away" by the use of "free" services?  I have been using most of Google's services for years on a daily basis and never paid a dime out of pocket.  Facebook had allowed me to connect to family and friends I probably never would have reconnected with and again no out of pocket expense. So far, and maybe I have just been lucky, the only "bad" things that have happened is that I get targeted advertising and maybe a few more emails for my spam filters to catch. A trade that, so far, I have been willing to make.

My thoughts exactly.

Of course "privacy" is a bizarrely twisted concept these days. People are paranoid because they watch too much TV and listen to too many ridiculous pundits. As usual with media inflated "issues", most people have no clear idea what they are paranoid about.

I have certain internet services I pay for, like my own domain and personal email that I have a completely different expectation of privacy for. I have control to some extent over my mail server, etc. It's worth the small amount I pay every month.

How much would you pay out of pocket for a service like Gmail or Facebook? Varies from person to person and service to service. People have been trained over the last decade or so that services on the internet should be free. Well, they've been duped. There has always been a price to pay and it's nearly always been in the form of eyeballs on advertisements or transfer of marketing data.

Allen, AKA kitehead
mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2011, 03:28 PM »

To start on thread - Facebook is what it is, you can keep it relatively innocuous with some diligence on your part but I'm always upset when they change their system and revert your privacy preferences to their liking or add a new feature that allows them to harvest and share info without notifying you. Adding VF as a facebook group might increase exposure but I'm on the wall on joining, I join few groups and VF is redundant for me.

Now off thread  Wink

There is a healthy level of paranoia though, many people need a larger dose, some have overdosed.

I always laugh about the people who spout off how they would never buy anything over the Internet but think nothing of placing a telephone order and giving a credit card number while talking on their cordless phone ...... really?    Roll Eyes   

Like many of you I'm aware that money is being made off the information I share. I'm not always happy about it but I've consciously chosen to share what I do to keep the development of these free services moving forward. I'm pretty pro-active educating myself on info harvesting and whenever I see somebody else's computer I tend to educate them on the purpose of those half dozen toolbars, games and useless programs that have been installed, often because they didn't read things and just clicked OK. "Do you use this?" The answer is usually "no it just appeared one day", so I end up uninstalling no sense sharing info if you do not use the service. Many times I can show them they already had those services if they had added something for a perceived reason or steer them to a better solution. The bonus is "Gee my internet is faster and it doesn't crash every 30 minutes"

Androids, iPhones, or any smart phone are particularly scary with the abilities they have to track you but they offer amazing conveniences and what I can see coming in the very near future is even more exciting. At this point I have my Android set pretty much wide open but I do study the accesses any App is requesting and if it seems more then I feel is justified I look for a similar app and most often find one with reasonable requests. When I find an App opening by itself I question why? Does it have to load automatically? Is it set it to update info in the background? Do I need it to for my usage? Can I turn that off? If not the uninstall button is a click away and I use it. The last app I was surprisingly compelled to pfffftt.. was a Bible program that opened on phone calls, texts or internet sessions .... sorry .... who needs to know in your business already knows. I don't know why I found that surprising today, but not even my Congress & Constitution apps do that and I'd expect Politicians & Government to be intrusive. 

On the other hand when I find a free app particularly useful I will click the advertisements now and then and click through to a second page, if it gives the Developer a couple cents that's a small price, it's not like I had to read the pages and Google hasn't started selling access through their spam filters like some (shhhh... don't tell them).

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
bojocatkite
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2011, 10:54 PM »

I found this image funny and quite true... Smiley

[attachments older than 90 days deleted by admin]
WinterDaze
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2011, 01:47 AM »

Lips sealed Lips sealed Lips sealed Lips sealed Lips sealed  Smiley Grin Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Cool

+1

WinterDaze AoF
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document