GWTW Forum
July 23, 2014, 04:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Uses for your SLE  (Read 1980 times)
cerfvoliste
Trade Count: (+3)

« on: March 21, 2011, 07:57 PM »

What can a person do with a Super Leading Edge? It is to early to plant tomatoes here. Maybe use 2 for a banner pole? Fishing pole? Curtain rod?

What Ideas do you have?
CV

Dano
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2011, 08:56 PM »

Use it to learn to fly a Rev maybe. 

Lips sealed
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2011, 11:43 PM »

When the wind is over 12 mph, I use to pull out a vented sport kite.

Now, I pull out my 8 year old Rev with SLE and zip around the sky.

Dive stops are spectacular once you eliminate the jelly fish undulation of the overly-flexy B-Series rod sets.

Blobby, energy absorbing frames may be great for all the Revers who fly in line dancing formation, but for crisp action of solo flying in strong wind, I'll take all your SLE rods. They are perfect for higher wind solo flying.

Leave the crowd, fly solo with your Rev.  Smiley

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2011, 03:27 AM »

i wanted to get 2 sets so that i could have a nice strong ul set of tarp poles for camping....
still want to do that..have not...

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Kantaxel
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2011, 08:10 AM »

I heard a rumor once......don't know if it's true, but one could always use them as ground poles with little flags for staking out territory on the beach..........Oh and what John said!  be careful, though.........they won't take as many slams into terra firma as the more flexible ones will. FWIW
Jim

Kant Fly......might just as well buy!
bt
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2011, 12:35 AM »

I`m with John C. on this one even though I rarely fly in winds over 12mph.
I`ve been flying revs for about 16 yrs. and own 21 of them. I still keep an SLE if (and that is a huge IF) I wanted to fly in a strong wind and IF I wanted something stiffer than a 4 wrap. 0 to about 8 mph is where I`m at so a lot of this has to do with personal flying preferences. I must also add I fly by myself.....and have zero interest in megaflys or whatever...too regimented for me, although it is sort of pretty. Used to fly pairs with my partner but she doesn`t fly anymore....
Don`t want to put anyones nose out of joint but I`m really tired of the ya gotta fly with 120` lines, ya gotta use race rods, ya gotta have a Bpro, SLE`s suck attitude that`s been prevalent for the last few years...blah blah blah....whatever. 100` max for me, have a race rod frame but feel it is a compromise between a 2 and 3 wrap frame. Keep in mind I poo pooed 1.5`s when they first came out as I felt they compromised the 1 and 2.... Now I love `em.... I have some B`s but will save for up for a Zen before getting a 1.5 BPro.
Yes I agree an SLE can make the kite feel like a stiff slug but there`s nothing wrong with changing things up every now and then.
bt
bigpappo1
Trade Count: (+8)

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2011, 05:49 AM »

I'm with John C., I'll take all the SLE's you guys want to send. I'm with ya bt, changing it up is far better than being stuck in a rut. I've actually gotten better control with my SLE Rods in higher winds than my 3 wrap.
cerfvoliste
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2011, 12:16 PM »

Hmmm... I have not found a single wind condition where the SLE is of any use.
CV

Smeagol
Trade Count: (+79)

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2011, 01:08 PM »

I'm with John too!  Heh.  Wink  I guess I'm a Rev "weirdo" in that I prefer the Speed Series line so I'm pretty much always using a SLE.  I just like the speed & twitchyness of them.  Don't get me wrong, I still love my Rev II/1.5/I and currently have them set up in a progressive stack.

I still want to try reframing my Thor's Hammer in SLE rods, heh.  Huh  I'm not sure how much weight savings it would be, but it would be an interesting project.  If anyone has any spares let me know!

-Mike

« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 01:09 PM by Smeagol » Logged
Gamelord
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2011, 01:44 PM »

I have to go with the flow here....

I love the SLE rods.  Not only are they nearly indestructible (tons stronger and more durable than the 1/4" rods), they really make the kite COME ALIVE!  I love the zippy twitchy performance that the SLE rod gives the kites.  Much more exciting to fly than just hovers and side slides...... The standard rods slow the kite down so much and takes all the excitement out of it.

Now for team flying or precision, the standard rods and mega brakes are the only logical choice as it dumbs the kite up so much that it just basically sits there until you force it to move.  For solo flying I find this rather boring and can get more enjoyment from my large SLK's.  Slap the SLE in and the kite wakes up and rocks.

Standard rods - Kite is on Ritalin and/or Valium.
SLE rods - Kite is on Red Bull!

Just my opinion and as always, its worth exactly what you paid for it. Smiley

Jim Foster
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2011, 05:10 PM »

Lynn and I have gone away from the SLE spars in favor of the 3 wrap and sometime the 3+2 wrap leading edge.  Seems to be nicer for flying together and with others.
Just a personal preference.  That's what it's all about.  Fly what you like.

However, a "dive stop" in medium to high wind is absolutely spectacular with an SLE leading edge.  The acceleration and stopping power is really something to behold. Huh

Fly Together! Share the Joy, Share the Fun
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document