GWTW Forum
September 01, 2014, 02:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: weights at far end of thew tail vs. weights near the center T  (Read 1725 times)
cojack_2107
Trade Count: (0)

« on: February 26, 2011, 03:54 AM »

I was wondering everytime i fly my kites. Will shifting the tail weight closer to the center T have any obvioust effect on the kite from tricking perspective?? flatspins and roll ups... will it be better to have it alittle closer to the center T rather than at the end of the tail for flatspins such as backspin, 540, susans and even taz?? will it make taz any better?? which would you prefer?
bigpappo1
Trade Count: (+8)

« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2011, 04:17 AM »

Yes it will for better or worse!
Weighting depends a lot on the nose width, shape, billow/+- of your sail also the amount of weight, flying style etc.. Most stunt kites are either weighted at the tail, nose, or wingtips. I had a Eolo Over that loved the weight closer to the center t, other kites like weight at the nose and tail some none at all. Experiment! until you get that sweet spot. There's a ton of experienced kite makers and flyers here that I hope will give you some advise. The moderator Ian is one of the best, also KAOS Kevin Sanders, and Will S.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 10:16 PM by bigpappo1 » Logged
Hadge

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2011, 05:25 AM »

The HQ Infinity ( and also I think the Eolo Over) has a sliding tail weight that allows you to experiment with different setting. Basically 2 leading edge fittings back to back with a weight in between.

Age and cunning will always overcome youth and skill!

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
lasapcheong
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2011, 06:44 AM »

Hey Cojack

Here's a rough rule of thumb in my own personal experiences specifically when I wad flying the Nirvana FE. As with most things, it's really broad strokes instead of hard and fast rules.

Weight down to tail, lowering the COG to the tail of the kite : pitch tricks like yoyos faster. But spin based moves like, flatspins like slot machines, 540s, deeper turtles, flatness of lazy susans. Miltulazies suffer. Oversteer increases and precision suffers.

And vice versa. Hence I think u just gotta find the right balance.

-Darryl

"One day I'll learn to comete my quad and hover my dual-line for a minute anywhere in the window"
Kiting Below Horizons : http://www.youtube.com/user/cheongchunti
cojack_2107

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2011, 07:24 AM »

Thanks guys for the quick reply! I guess i just have to play around till i get to where i want it to be.
Thanks darryl!! been so long since we on the same field flying.. more often than not i would be there watching you fly rather than i fly myself..  Cheesy
Will Sturdy
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2011, 02:08 PM »

It varies kite to kite.
Basically add weight near the T if you just want to increase mass and add weight at the tail if you want to move the center of gravity. The exact effects of that change vary hugely depending upon a multitude of design elements.
johnfarl

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2011, 04:32 PM »

When I was in my play with the weight mode, I went to the hardware store and purchased some cylindrical metal objects and glued some velcro to them so that i could attach them to spine of my kite and move them up and down the spine.  It worked pretty good and I learned alot by checking out different amounts of weight and moving the weight up and down the spine.  I found out weights as defined by the builder was normally the best.  As skills have grown I am no longer a weight tinkerer.  But I think everyone has to go there.

John
KaoS
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2011, 06:18 PM »

... what Will said!

Kevin Sanders

Willunga, South Australia
ko
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2011, 07:39 PM »

what john said LOL

have fun kurt
KaoS
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2011, 12:16 AM »

Weight down to tail...

... Oversteer increases and precision suffers.

No criticism Darryl (and certainly no offense intended), but the exact opposite will happen on some kites.  I have also experienced the effect you have noticed, but it is more likely to be the amount of weight that is doing that, rather than the position of the weight.

I have a couple of kites that really "lock in" to precision flying when I add a small amount of weight to the tail, but put too much on and the kite will do just what you describe.

It isn't a completely black art, but there are definitely a few shades of grey in there  Sad

Kevin Sanders

Willunga, South Australia
tpatter
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2011, 12:48 AM »

I used to play around with weights alot on various kites like John described.

I had little good results - about the only thing that worked well was adding a bit more (5-10g) where the designer had already put it.

If you like fiddling with weights - get a QPro with the weight kit.  That one has enough built-in adjustments to keep you busy for a very long time!  In the end, I just put the armature all the way down with the 20g weight sawed in half on it and that was as about perfect.  I've also seen guys have the weight ABOVE the centerT on that one. 

6 kite tom
cojack_2107

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2011, 06:48 AM »

had a go at various positions placing for the weight.. in the end i ended up with the weight 5cm from the tail... tried adding more weight but cascade seems quite uncontrolled the more weight i put on the kite although when in fade position, i feel like Martin Madsen(DPmama74)...  Cheesy
Linus
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2011, 07:02 PM »

I used to fly with a sliding spine weight a lot (on a Jack in the Box). While setting up a sliding system can be a pain if the kite wasn't designed for it, I found that it offers a bit of the best of both worlds. As the kite pitched into a lazy susan the weight would slide toward the nose a bit and help hold it there. It might be worth fooling around with if you're experimenting.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document