GWTW Forum
July 24, 2014, 06:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Most members online at GWTW. Please read!  (Read 3799 times)
Alfredo
Trade Count: (+3)

« on: February 27, 2011, 01:34 PM »

Hi all! I was looking at the bottom of the forum today and noticed the most members ever online was 170. Why don't we try to break that record? Here's my proposal-

Let's all be online on-

Saturday, March, 5, 2011.- Gives everyone time to read this.
9:30 pm Central US time.
Mark your calendars!

Thanks,
Alfredo.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 05:03 AM by Alfredo » Logged

I fully appreciate the ability of trees to attract kites. They have special powers that way. (Quote by - Charlie Dunton)
stapp59
Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2011, 01:55 PM »

But I'll be out flying then!  Cheesy  Roll Eyes
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2011, 03:16 PM »

Scheduling kiters is akin to:

herding cats
pushing a chain
molding water
finding the perfect woman
or wiping your butt with your wrong hand

it can be done, but is incredibly difficult.  Roll Eyes

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
MtnFlyer
Trade Count: (+50)

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2011, 03:37 PM »

John, you crack me up!  Cheesy

I needed that laugh.  Wink

Bob
Bodega Bay Flyer
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2011, 05:09 PM »

Thanks for that John!
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2011, 10:45 PM »

7:00 PM on a spring Saturday seems early to me too.

Steve had figured that 170 was some sort of glitch since it was surrounded by days only in the mid 20's to mid 30's and oddly was on a Thursday at 3:33 AM PST, so unless our overseas members were having a party here without inviting us it seemed unrealistic. But looking now I see there have been a couple more days that have gone higher then the norm. On Tuesday April 3rd, 2010 we hit 167 which was bracketed by mid to high 50's, that's a bit more believable. Then again on a Thursday August 5th, 2010 we hit 137 bracketed by days that averaged in the mid 40's and months that saw additional highs of 70 and 62. Considering that month also set the second highest new registrations record with 155, along with 104 in July (5th) and 111 September (4th), that figure seems realistic. March 2009 saw the most new registrations with 616 new members as everybody shifted from the old forum to the new one.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Alfredo

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2011, 04:59 AM »

Scheduling kiters is akin to:

herding cats
pushing a chain
molding water
finding the perfect woman
or wiping your butt with your wrong hand

it can be done, but is incredibly difficult.  Roll Eyes
Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

I fully appreciate the ability of trees to attract kites. They have special powers that way. (Quote by - Charlie Dunton)
Alfredo

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2011, 05:02 AM »

7:00 PM on a spring Saturday seems early to me too.

Steve had figured that 170 was some sort of glitch since it was surrounded by days only in the mid 20's to mid 30's and oddly was on a Thursday at 3:33 AM PST, so unless our overseas members were having a party here without inviting us it seemed unrealistic. But looking now I see there have been a couple more days that have gone higher then the norm. On Tuesday April 3rd, 2010 we hit 167 which was bracketed by mid to high 50's, that's a bit more believable. Then again on a Thursday August 5th, 2010 we hit 137 bracketed by days that averaged in the mid 40's and months that saw additional highs of 70 and 62. Considering that month also set the second highest new registrations record with 155, along with 104 in July (5th) and 111 September (4th), that figure seems realistic. March 2009 saw the most new registrations with 616 new members as everybody shifted from the old forum to the new one.

I agree about the 170 maybe being a glitch. Lets try to break it, though. Cheesy
I canged the time, by the way.

UPNET
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2011, 07:09 AM »

Hope the oil and spark plugs have been changed in the server(s) by then......... Kiss

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Voltaire
stapp59
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2011, 08:25 AM »

Quote from: stapp59
But I'll be out flying then!  Cheesy  Roll Eyes
I'll make sure I'm home and you changed the time to after dinner as well  Cheesy
Alfredo

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2011, 01:42 PM »

Hope the oil and spark plugs have been changed in the server(s) by then......... Kiss
LOL. I hope so,too.

DonCrash

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2011, 05:38 PM »

Being online and idle won't necessarily do anything;
its when the band spikes if everyone sends/receives some sort of data from the server (all at the same moment) that'll cause a problem.

Isnt "chat" on a different server? imagine the chaos of having 170 people in "chat", and one dude types and sends "hi"...  Cheesy  (provided the server isnt built for it)

Vented L'organic; Vortex; DS (closeted); Quantum (modded to taz); Ocius STD, UL, UL (2pt P90), SUL; Pi (Home made kite)
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2011, 07:49 AM »

Steve had wanted to stress test the chat system to see if it could be used for some real time events that members might be interested in. Something like a "Meet the designer" thing or such if anybody wanted to hold a group chat to promote a product.

Shall we see if we can find a limit?

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
stapp59
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2011, 07:56 AM »

I'll plan to login to chat assuming this Saturday at 9:30 Central is the appointed hour.  Normally I just read the forum news.
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2011, 08:40 AM »

how bad would everyone feel if the server crashed...........

hey...someone had to say it!

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document