GWTW Forum
November 23, 2014, 05:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: History Lane: Catalogs from the early 90's???  (Read 1517 times)
w8kbrder
Trade Count: (+5)

« on: February 27, 2011, 09:13 PM »

I got into kiting around '93 when I bought my first Prism ION. I remember seeing a small catalog that my cousin gave me from a local shop in Charleston, SC. I was always interested in the Prisms...but I remember seeing a kite that looked very similar to the Prism Ion..however it was not a Prism and I do remember the word "Spider" being part of it. Any idea as to what kite this would have been?

Also, anyone have any scans of any old catalogs going back to that time frame?

I know I have every "Into the Wind" catalog since '93.....stashed away somewhere. Its fun to look back on what used to be top of the line at the time!

PRISM: Micron, Ion, Eclipse, Total Eclipse, Radian, Classic Illusion (vented), Fanatic, Ozone, 3-D, Vector, Stylus 1.8

TOTL: Hawaiian Spinoff
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2011, 04:09 AM »

I think someone here was working on a scanning project of the old Into The Wind catalogs.  I never heard what happened to that... I have a few old copies, but most of mine got lost, having moved 3 times since 1990.

kiteking
Trade Count: (+11)

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2011, 09:10 AM »

I think someone here was working on a scanning project of the old Into The Wind catalogs.

That would be me... what has happened.. Heart attack in July, then I got involved in packing/moving 20 years of living in Tucson to the Oregon Coast, setting up my wife's new practice, preparing a house to become a rental, and spending days flying on a beach again.

I know it sounds like an excuse, I always hate when life gets in the way of a project, I have located the box that has all the old ITTW catalogs.

I looked from 1989 thru 1996 and found, wasps, bees, scorpions, and mosquitoes, but no spiders. Can you remember any other details? I am assuming the kite was a dual line, was the shape delta? diamond?, did the sail have a pattern?, or solid panels?

I know Catch the Wind made spider-line anyone remember if they had spider kites also?

sorry I couldn't be more help

"Wind to your back, Kite in the sky."

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-11

#518  -    #110883 -

w8kbrder

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2011, 12:53 PM »

I think someone here was working on a scanning project of the old Into The Wind catalogs.

I looked from 1989 thru 1996 and found, wasps, bees, scorpions, and mosquitoes, but no spiders. Can you remember any other details? I am assuming the kite was a dual line, was the shape delta? diamond?, did the sail have a pattern?, or solid panels?

I know Catch the Wind made spider-line anyone remember if they had spider kites also?

sorry I couldn't be more help

You know I wish I could remember..this was back when I first had an interest in sport kites and I knew nothing about them. I remember the it was a duel line sport kite with the shape of a Prism Ion....but it was not made by Prism and had the word "spider" somewhere in it. It very well could have been a Spider-line by Catch the Wind. If I saw a picture of it, I would probably remember. I honestly cannot remember if the word Spider was part of the brand name or if it was a model name...I just remember trying to decide between it and a Prism Ion...which I ended up going with the Ion.

PRISM: Micron, Ion, Eclipse, Total Eclipse, Radian, Classic Illusion (vented), Fanatic, Ozone, 3-D, Vector, Stylus 1.8

kiteking

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2011, 04:03 PM »

Some of my old school stunt kites:

- Catch the Wind Spider Wing (2 & 4)

Troy has a spider wing, maybe he can post a picture??

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-11

#518  -    #110883 -

reddobie
Trade Count: (+33)

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2011, 05:26 PM »

This what a Spider Wing 2 looks like.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/reddobie2/4123386880/#in/set-72157622725826249/

kiteking

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2011, 06:01 PM »

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-11

#518  -    #110883 -

mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2011, 10:06 PM »

Here's the advertisement for the Spiderwing from Kitelines Magazine, Summer 1990. A revolutionary concept from Catch the Wind, a single frame with 4 different sail designs available that you could interchange for different conditions. Catch the Wind was the largest West Coast kite chain with something like 8 stores, and manufactured kites and most famously the Spinsock along with the original Spectra line for kites Spiderwire. It was a leader in growing the sport during the late 1980's and 1990's. It was sad to see that the last store had closed it's doors last year.

« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 10:10 PM by mikenchico » Logged

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
lylenc
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2011, 08:37 AM »

Thanks for posting the advertisement. A couple of months ago, I was going through an old soccer bag used to hold miscellaneous kite stuff. I saw a sail without a frame and was wondering why I would have bought it. I was on my way to the kite field, so I didn't take time to look it over and forgot about it by the time I got back home. I must have one sail that's framed and the extra sail is the one of the other three alternate sail patterns.

I never did fly the extra sail or the framed one much either for that matter. I mainly bought the kite for the kids, but they lost interest in kiting about that time. They discovered girls. Now that they are 30 something, they are becoming aware of the error of that decision.

Catch The Wind was one of my favorite kite store(s) from 1988 until until they started downsizing. On vacations to Lincoln City, if the wind wasn't suitable for my kites, I'd go to their stores and buy something that might work. That's how I got a Rev II for my "high wind" kite and the start of my journey into UL and SUL. On one trip that was cursed with much rain, we went to their stores between Hood River - Lincoln City - Florence (including an A-frame out in the middle of nowhere along 101), plus other kite companies along the way. I had to bribe the kids with much food/goodies, the wife with non-kite shopping, and listen to a lot of groaning about "not another kite store" on that trip.

Craig     Walla Walla, WA     Just One More!
w8kbrder

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2011, 10:24 AM »

Spiderwing was definitely the kite I was thinking of....b/c now I definitely remember the logo. But the spiderwing kite I was trying to remember would have been around circa 1993-1994........it looked a bit more advanced than the ones pictured in the black and white ad....

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum