GWTW Forum
April 24, 2014, 05:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New or Old trick ?  (Read 1694 times)
prao
Trade Count: (0)

« on: March 09, 2011, 01:38 PM »

Hi freestylers,
a friend of our small group of kiters, made the trick this weekend, is simple but rarely seen (according to Roger by R-SKY). It's a axel (low wing), which starts a movement of a "stop" and turning flat. Watch the video. would be difficult to explain, I only shoot the video. That Joel G. who is the kiter.

figure joel

I await your comments, friends freestylers!

thank you
olive
adx1592
Trade Count: (+31)

« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2011, 03:10 PM »

To me, that looks like a spin axel that was started to early. ?

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
Svolazzo
Trade Count: (+20)

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2011, 03:18 PM »

I have had the same impression

Paolo
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2011, 03:27 PM »

A really hard spin axle executed nicely. I've called them pop axels. Some kites do them easy, some not. Hitting that wing pretty hard to get into it.  Huh
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 03:30 PM by Allen Carter » Logged

Allen, AKA kitehead
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2011, 04:04 PM »

THats usually done from a dive and popped just as you turn 90 degrees but it is a spin axel and not that common anymore.  On some kites you can get a nice single input double axel with that input.
Dolphinboy

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2011, 08:10 PM »

That is not a spin Axel but just an Axel from horizontal flight. There was no spin before the Axel.

James -
Grants Pass, Oregon
A few kite videos YouTube / Vimeo (Yes, I am a Slacker)
JimB
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2011, 08:54 PM »

Old trick.

Called a Genie Pop.
Dolphinboy

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2011, 09:14 PM »

Old trick.

Called a Genie Pop.

I knew it must have a name. There are quite a few kites that hit it well. WM, DS, Saber II to name a few.

James -
Grants Pass, Oregon
kalle

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2011, 10:05 PM »

Inverse Slotmachine  Smiley
JimB
Global Moderator

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2011, 03:26 AM »

Thinking about it a bit more.. it's somewhat between a Genie Pop and an Over Easy. Essentially the same inputs and similar tricks. The input in the video isn't quite aggressive enough to get the kite to settle down into a truly flat axel or, if hit hard enough, double axel la the Genie Pop so the end result looks quite a bit more like an Over Easy except a true Over Easy is executed at the bottom mid-window of a long downward curve across the window which adds a certain something to the result. So not quite either really, but mostly just an execution issue there.

Anyway, both old tricks.
Dolphinboy

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2011, 08:55 AM »

I just read the Genie Pop description and it does say double Axel and come out the opposite direction. So 1/2 Genie POP? Wink I always call it a Powered up Horizontal Axel (just my description) but that doesn't mean it doesn't have a real name attached to it.

This Trick needs to be done with a very hard input on the lower hand then slack, let the kite rotate and pull both hands to come out back in horizontal flight. Super cool close to the ground and repeat like multi Slots. I really like these on the WM.

James -
Grants Pass, Oregon
prao

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2011, 07:47 AM »

thank you to everyone!
it is always nice to have support!
Not knowing if this trick was known, was given a name : The name of our small group of kiters : "Antistatic"
we keep this name or one forgets, or is thrown ... it does not matter! ;-)

And if it's a real "genie pop" .. then it is a "genie pop"
@ Jimb: I'd like to find a video that shows a "genie pop"! to see the difference with this trick!
Dolphinboy @: thank you for your detailed comments!
@ Kalle: Yes, it's almost a "slotmachine" except that this trick is pulling the bottom wing. But I like the idea!

THANKS TO ALL!
JimB
Global Moderator

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2011, 10:38 AM »

A Genie Pop is basically an under axel, ie; you pull the lower wing, which is what you have there. So, yeah, it's a type of Genie Pop, or an over Easy, which is also an under axel. As to the double axel component of the Peter Peters description; I don't think that is the primary part of a Genie Pop. He's just saying that, if you hit it just right you can get a double rotation.

The important component in a Genie Pop is the lower wing pop and rotation IMO.

It's the flatness, or lack there of, in the video, which is much more like an Over Easy. But, whatever, it is a lower wing axel and as such could be called a Genie Pop.

Or whatever you would like to call it. It's freestyle. Smiley
DonCrash

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2011, 06:58 PM »

Speaking of "over easy", @0:35

Prism Trick Show

Vented L'organic; Vortex; DS (closeted); Quantum (modded to taz); Ocius STD, UL, UL (2pt P90), SUL; Pi (Home made kite)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography