GWTW Forum
August 28, 2014, 08:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mamba or Black Mamba?  (Read 5128 times)
KaoS
Trade Count: (+18)

« on: March 05, 2011, 09:43 PM »

I have always LOVED my Mamba.  Larger than average with a commanding presence, solid on the lines yielding excellent precision, a surprisingly competent trickster, graceful, and definitely worthy of its “flagship” status in the Blue Moon range.

So what more could you want?  Well, nothing… or so I thought.

But sometime in 2010 came whisperings and rumours of an altered and improved version.  Ken had been tweaking and come up with the “Black Mamba” specification.

It was still a Mamba, but with different standoffs and a frame upgrade.  Sail shape remained unchanged, even the bridle dimension were unaltered.  Initial reviews indicated the newer version wasn’t necessarily any better, just different.  So was it worth the change?

Ken very kindly published details of the differences between the original and “Black” version of the Mamba allowing users to upgrade if they wished.  I decided to take the plunge and upgrade my standard Mamba part way to the new specs.

No major frame upgrade, the original Skysharks remain, but I made up new standoffs and modded the sail to suit, adding new inner standoff mounts while retaining the original ones.  This allowed me to easily swap between the old spec standoffs and the new ones to provide true back to back comparisons. 

At the same time I added Blue Moon style yo-yo stops (measurements also recommended by Ken).

Flight comparison

I started with the original standoffs fitted and flew in 5 to 8 mph on shore winds for about 15 minutes, and was rewarded with the usual Mamba experience.  Then a quick swap to the new specs and try again.

Wow!!  Who would have thought such a nice kite could get any better?

Flight speed was very similar to before, it still felt very solid on the lines and tracked like it was on rails.  Corners were easier to square off, and even when the wind dropped there was no tendency to oversteer as the sail pressure lessened.

Tip stabs?  Fantastic!  Nice and solid from high up or low down – very controllable.  Just bang it into the ground and hold it on one tip as long as you like.

Fades on the original spec Mamba were okay, but never as locked in as they could have been.  Now they are among the steadiest you’ll find; easy to flip into, very easy to lock against the lines and so very easy to hold for as long as you want.  The nose of the kite sits a bit higher than before, and doesn’t dip until you want it to.  Flic flacs are so controllable – slow, fast, rising, falling…

Flat manoeuvres (axels, slots, 540s, and so on) are just as flat as they were before.  Side slides are a cinch (really upright, too!).
Roll ups require a positive hand (but they always did) but are very achievable.  Wrapped flying is just as solid as unwrapped, so combos like wrap to multi slot to unwrap are nice and predictable.  I didn’t fly with any added weight, so roll up speed may quicken with one or two of the standard Blue Moon brass tubes.

I’m told backspins are easier on the new spec Mamba.  They might be – I could never do them on the original spec.  On the newer spec, I managed some slow gentle backspins a couple of times, but I still need to work on that.  (In much the same way, I used to backspin my Elixir really easily but struggle on it now.  Newer kites seem to give them up a lot easier, I must be getting lazy!)

After 15 minutes of trying everything I can do and finding no faults with the kite, I swapped back to the original specs.  It was still a very nice kite, but a few minutes later I went back to “Black Mamba” specs.  (Or at least Charcoal Mamba until I fit Black Diamond Nitro spars).

Yes I prefer the upgrade, I am really glad I went to the trouble of upgrading.  And I highly recommend the exercise to anyone who has the ability to add new standoff patches to their standard Mamba.  Unlike the early reviews, I would go as far as saying the new specs make the kite better, not just different.  I'll be sticking with the new setup.

Will I do a frame upgrade too?  Possibly, but I don’t think this is as critical, and I’ll wait until I’ve flown a lot more before deciding on that.

Many thanks to Ken McNeill for providing the upgrade specs.  As we say down here in Australia “Top bloke!”

Kevin Sanders

Willunga, South Australia
Allen Carter
Board Moderator

« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2011, 10:28 PM »

Excellent review!

When Ken said that if he was designing the Mamba today, this is how it would come out, I thought that said a lot. Evolution is good.

Allen, AKA kitehead
steve.hobart
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2011, 12:01 AM »

Nice review Kevin.

I haven't tried a Mamba - now you have me interested!

cheers

Steve
doclloyd
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2011, 07:14 AM »

Hi Kaos,

I also have an old mamba, did Ken post the upgrades somewhere? Would you mind giving me details of how to upgrade.. What the location of the new standoff(s)? how long are they now? What are the measurements for the yoyo stoppers from nose? how heavy are the ballast?

thanks in advance

Lloyd
Kite Team Philippines
KaoS

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2011, 04:51 PM »

Hi Kaos,

I also have an old mamba, did Ken post the upgrades somewhere? Would you mind giving me details of how to upgrade.. What the location of the new standoff(s)? how long are they now? What are the measurements for the yoyo stoppers from nose? how heavy are the ballast?

thanks in advance

Lloyd
Kite Team Philippines

I gleaned these measurements from this forum and the Blue Moon forum.

New inner standoff location is 4" (10 cm)  3 1/8" (8 cm) closer to the middle standoff location (away from the spine).  Put another way, the inner standoff location is now 6 7/8" (17.5 cm) from the middle one.
The inner standoffs and middle standoffs are now the same length at 10.25" (26 cm) each
Yoyo stopper is 56.7cm down from the top, outside corner of the nose
Bridle is not changed.
No weights or ballast have been added.

Ken recommends changing lower spreaders to Black Diamond Nitros. (I haven't done this yet)
« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 12:51 AM by KaoS » Logged

Kevin Sanders

Willunga, South Australia
stapp59
Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2011, 06:29 PM »

The new Black Mamba standoff configuration works pretty well on the UL and vent also  Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document