GWTW Forum
September 20, 2014, 07:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My first stunt kite and I have a few questions  (Read 2727 times)
armoworrior
Trade Count: (0)

« on: March 08, 2011, 10:10 PM »

So I picked up the HG Yukon.  I know maybe not the best first stunt kite out there but the price was good and I've seen a few good things about it. One thing I noticed is the on the trailing edge the is small line that is run from tip to center with an adjuster.  Is this a common thing? 
fidelio
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011, 10:57 PM »

yes it's common. it's called a leech line. it's there to help keep the trailing edge of the kite from flapping in the wind as it flies. if it flaps, it's not a big deal. think of it a bit like a speed control.

as the wind gains strength, and the trailing edge of the kite starts to flap, it's dissipating energy and causing friction, slowing down the kites forward motion. tightening the adjustment of the leech line can reduce this effect, making the kite more quiet, and faster through the air. the downside is when the wind is bumpy and irregular, with a tight trailing edge, the kite will also reflect the uneven nature of the wind, speeding up and slowing down.

a tight trailing edge can also improve a kites low wind performance as any wind energy captured by the sail is used to help the kite fly.

how tight you keep it is really personal preference, but you do not want it tight like a drum head. just tight enough to keep some tension on the trailing edge.

please, should you have more questions about this or anything else, just ask. there are many people here far more knowledgeable than myself, also willing to help. on this topic, i just happened to be first.

also, welcome to the forum.

Fdeli
armoworrior
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2011, 11:10 PM »

I just really hope this kite isn't too advanced for my girl that's who it is really for. We are going to fly it for a while together and when I leave it will give her something to do to help keep her mind off me for the most part
fidelio
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2011, 11:27 PM »

a few basic pointers:
keep your arms by your sides. if you find yourself arms overhead, start again.
use small arm movements to start. a couple inches difference between left and right hands is all it takes to steer.
if you get in trouble, just drop the handles. you may have to chase the kite a little, but it should land undamaged.

it's easier than learning to walk, and there's only one rule; enjoy yourself.

Fdeli
Flying Fish
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2011, 11:55 PM »

When I first took up kiting, I also started with a Yukon. Now, many kites later, I still have my first Yukon and fly it occasionally 'for old times sake'. It's a suitable kite to learn the basics on; it won't pull much and will allow your girl to get to grips with basic flying (loops, figure 8s, etc). It can also take quite some beating (I lawn-darted my Yukon plenty of times in the beginning, but never broke a spar).

As fidelio said: have fun!

glk47
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2011, 10:37 AM »

You don't say where you (or your girl) are. There's absolutely no better way to get a handle on flying than doing it with company. My experience with kiters is that they will often walk over to someone who seems to be struggling and offer help.

Larry
bigpappo1
Trade Count: (+8)

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2011, 03:27 PM »

You'll be fine!. Wait for good wind not too strong or to weak. Double check everything and make sure everything is straight rods snug, bridle not twisted or wrapped around anything and the lines are even in length. Try to watch what the kite is doing when flying and stay ahead of it anticipating counter inputs which will become second nature soon. Most of all if everything doesn't go well, remember to have a good time.  Smiley
The yukon is a good kite!.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document