GWTW Forum
April 25, 2014, 12:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sheratan, my first project  (Read 2759 times)
Svolazzo
Trade Count: (+20)

« on: March 09, 2011, 02:48 PM »

I finally decided to have a go with a my own project, so after some weeks passed in designing and sewing I'm proud to show the result.
I called it Sheratan, it's a name of a star in Aries constellation, my zodiacal sign.
I made a STD and after testing it, if it will fly as I hope, I'll made the UL version. I have to tie the bridle now but I wasn't able to resist and decided to show you and share some pics of the whole kite and some closeups.
I framed it in P2X ULE, P3X LLE, Spine and US in Structil 6mm, LS in Black Diamond Nitro, wingspan circa 250cm, weight 20gr.
Hope you like it, and most of all hope it will fly well  Smiley
I'm looking forward to fly it!

Paolo

« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 03:23 PM by Svolazzo » Logged
bigpappo1
Trade Count: (+8)

« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2011, 03:19 PM »

Looks like a winner!. It looks like it has all the right stuff.  Smiley video when you get it tweaked?.
stapp59
Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2011, 06:34 PM »

Nice work!
fidelio
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2011, 10:51 PM »

fantastic! let's hope it flies as you like, because the construction is very well done. looking forward to flight reports.

Fdeli
JimB
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2011, 01:16 AM »

Quite handsome.

Wink
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2011, 07:38 AM »

Dang a "First Build"? That is some fine craftsmanship there. I like the panel layout too. Well done.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
sugarbaker

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2011, 09:34 AM »

I'm curious to know if you started with any existing plans... or how you went about creating your kite.  I've considered starting with plans of one of the kites I've built previously and modifying/altering sail shape and other variable such as standoff placement to change flight characteristics.  I am definitely interested in your process and anxious to hear how it flies.  The kite looks excellent and I look forward to hearing more about it.  Great work!

Stephen
Flying Fish
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2011, 11:45 AM »

That's a mighty fine achievement for a first self-built kite. I raise my hat to you, Sir ...

art
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2011, 02:06 PM »

Sharp looking and great craftmanship.  I'll second the hope that you will post a video in the near future.
Svolazzo

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2011, 06:14 PM »

I'm curious to know if you started with any existing plans... or how you went about creating your kite.  I've considered starting with plans of one of the kites I've built previously and modifying/altering sail shape and other variable such as standoff placement to change flight characteristics.  I am definitely interested in your process and anxious to hear how it flies.  The kite looks excellent and I look forward to hearing more about it.  Great work!

Stephen

Thanks to all for the great comments, I'm very happy you like my work so much, and I strongly hope it'll fly as I want. Maybe tomorrow I'll be able to find the time to make the first flight, I'll keep you updated

Stephen, for sure I kept in mind all my previous buildings thinking how to project the Sheratan, as you probably know I built several kites by C. Derefat and lately the B'zar, in the past months, but apart that I started from zero. First I decided the length of the spine, then the nose angle and the shape and length of the leading edge, finally the shape of the trailing edge. I made a first sail but the trailing edge didn't come out as I expected, so I get back to the PC to design a deeper one. That leaded to a slightly longer spine too. With those changes I finally get the shape I was looking for in my mind....now I have to see if what I made is a real kite or a brick Cheesy

Paolo
nubli

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2011, 07:29 PM »

Nice one buddy.. like to see video of it flying if you have Smiley
Svolazzo

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2011, 03:42 AM »

Ok folks, I'm managing to make some footage ASAP, a bit of patience, I have to borrow a videocam from a friend of mine.

Paolo
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 02:36 PM by Svolazzo » Logged
positivo

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2011, 11:32 AM »

Looks good! A wingspan of 250 cm is a bit much, unless you like to "work out" with the kite and enjoy doing big movements for most tricks. On the other hand, that wingspan allows for slow flying, so your axels and 540's are very impressive when executed flat.
Waiting for some footage here as well   :-)
Svolazzo

« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2011, 02:45 PM »

Yes my aim was to have a good presence in the sky, but I have to say that the moves to trick it are pratically the same needed on my NSE or K2, neither larger nor havier. As you stated the size allow some slower flying and very flat rotations.

Paolo
sugarbaker

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2011, 01:49 AM »

Haven't heard much from you about your kite... wondering how you are liking it... any changes you would make?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography