GWTW Forum
October 01, 2014, 05:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Freestyle kite flying is...  (Read 5970 times)
WinterDaze
Trade Count: (+1)

« on: March 10, 2011, 08:55 PM »

Alright,

A little more of my manifesto work.... Wink

I went looking for a succinct description of what we do with a kite, something that defines the different 'Freestyle form' from other forms of kite flying. And TBH there's not much out there...

Wiki

I found this on a '.org' site "Freestyle flying is about expressing yourself with a kite through a range of unusual maneuvers; flying the kite on its back, its belly and linking it all together to look really smooth."

TBH.. A little dry and non descriptive if not possibly miss-representative...

I found this on AW's Site

Freestyle is about letting the moment unfold. It is about expressing yourself as an artwork carved in the wind, on a quarter-pipe or in a powder bowl. It is about balancing yourself with the forces of nature - dancing with gravity, riding the wind, or carving the snow. Freestyle is everywhere. It is the way of the Tao. Everything flows.

"Freestyle is not just another word for "trick flying". Sure, freestyle flying will often include radical tricks and extreme moves, but the two are not synonymous. Freestyle is about Freedom and Style. Freedom to express yourself and explore the moment, and to do it with style. Freestyle flying can be any kind of flying. That's where the freedom comes from."

That seemed a lot closer to me, but we can't go and just steal Andy's word's whenever we need a description....

So I'm putting it out there, how you would go about writing a piece of descriptive writing, read 'PR Blurb' in a description of Freestyle, to and for 'the freestyle layman'?

I was thinking that if we all had a bit of a go that maybe we could gather up a little resource of 'open source' phrases that we, as a 'style', can dole out to the laymen to assist them in their 'education'. Who knows it might make it easier for us to get good press.

This is my little go with the idea, and trust me I know there are better ways to say it, go on have a play Smiley

The 'pilot' of a Sports Kite is as much artist as athlete, If we were to fly in a 'gallery' many of the forms that are flown could just as easily be described as, “Intimate visual studies in environmental awareness and fluid dynamics, using a highly tuned sports kite as a 4 dimensional brush”.

But we don't generally fly in galleries, the canvas of choice that the pilot chooses is the sky, And our medium?  Quite simply, it's the wind.

A highly interactive and intuitive style of kite flying, The freestyle pilots roll is seen more as that of a guide rather than of a master. At most a pilot only ever asks for their kites co-operation,

The expression, in it's highest form is considered by it's practitioners as much as 'artful play' as 'disciplined structure'.

So as I've said, there should be a few of you out there with some half decent wordsmithery skills....

Anything coming to mind?

Who knows, you might end up defining a movement, for a movement!!! Cool

WinterDaze AoF
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2011, 09:26 PM »

I like ABWs definition a lot.

I like yours too, but it's too long.

Allen, AKA kitehead
WinterDaze

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2011, 09:49 PM »

+1 Wink

Cut and paste to your hearts content   Undecided

WinterDaze AoF
fidelio
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2011, 10:36 PM »

freestyle kite flying is like being a musician of sorts.

music has an underlying structure which is brought to life by the skill of the musician with their instrument. improvisation allows the musician to rearrange the composition and timing to embellish the performance, interpreting the music in his or her own way, to speak to an idea or emotion.

in freestyle kite flying, you're doing the same thing. you're creatively expressing yourself through an improvised performance of a honed skill. the greater the refinement in skill, the more impressive and varied the result.

but ask me tomorrow and i'll give you a different answer.

F¡deli°
steve.hobart
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2011, 01:02 AM »

is..."freedom".....

I think that belongs to Dean Parson's...but to me it is simple but powerful and sums it all up....
Yan
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2011, 01:33 AM »

I have been trying to think of somthing like this to put on a 'front page' for the VF website, not really for flyers but for the layman that found the website and wanted to know what to know what 'freestyle kite flying' is. As I think we are missing an opportunity to promote the sport.

So far i've got the first 4 words, pretty much the same as the title for this thread, and a few ideas of words like 'three dimensional'.....  and somthing about it being the progression of technical skill - like the music referance Fidelio made.

stapp59
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2011, 01:52 AM »

Operative words include kites, tricks, figures, skill, style, expression.

Maybe something like:

Freestyle - Performance kite flying where the pilot demonstrates skill, style, and expression to link together tricks and figures in an aesthetically pleasing manner.
zippy8
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2011, 02:36 AM »

Flying one, single, disembodied trick is sort of clever and is Trick Flying.

Flying a kite in a seamless flow of movements, using all possible axes of rotation and all possible control inputs is Freestyle Flying.

At least that's what I thought in 1998 when I wrote that  Smiley I'd really like to avoid any reference to "art" lest we become too <swishes hands across face> conceptual.

Mike.

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2011, 03:22 AM »

Flying a kite in a seamless flow of movements, using all possible axes of rotation.........

Just how many axes of rotation are there?  Roll Eyes

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
WinterDaze

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2011, 03:56 AM »

Denny, this is a creative space, logic need not apply, if you want Rainbows and Unicorns or even axes, well in here thats just as valid for now as poly axial flying Wink

So lets put your hat back on and point it in the right direction, come on, you've always be able to express yourself, have a crack yourself  Smiley

Mike, I disagree, art is allowed the space it asks in this, I sensed you nearly mentioned it (art) back then, you just choked 'it' off before saying it... Wink

I want descriptions that are allowed to include concepts slightly beyond 'fact' I'm looking for a mix of it all (I think  Lips sealed)

continue!
« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 04:09 AM by WinterDaze » Logged

WinterDaze AoF
zippy8
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2011, 04:09 AM »

Just how many axes of rotation are there?  Roll Eyes

Conventionally three but if you wish to consider time as an axis then four.

You are pronouncing the plural of axis correctly, aren't you ?

Quote from: WinterDaze
Mike, I disagree, art is allowed

You're dead to me.

Mike.

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
WinterDaze

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2011, 04:15 AM »

[Edit out of sync]

lol Don't get me started on art, I'd be easier to just let it go, art's in if you want it in, it's a very inclusive house

It's a creative space you've walked into, there are hugs everywhere if you want  Kiss

WinterDaze AoF
Flying High

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2011, 04:58 AM »

Hi,

The manifesto?

It's a head space that we all escape to just to get some time out, It's an awesome place with so many kites. Hope you like the little gift I gave you at Christmas.

Cheers
kalle

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2011, 05:02 AM »

To define freestyle is yet to restrict it!

Freestyle is everything which comes in my mind while flying. Sometimes I just fly corners, angles, circles and straight lines because it`s in my mind. Freestyle? Of course!

Sometimes I am in a Jacob`s Ladder-Combination for a few minutes. Freestyle? Of course!
Yan

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2011, 06:00 AM »

hmmm, because of it's subjective and creative nature, I also think that art cannot be ruled out... Wink
« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 06:03 AM by Yan » Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document