GWTW Forum
October 24, 2014, 06:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Freestyle kite flying is...  (Read 6031 times)
mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2011, 12:31 PM »

... And I agree, time is continual, linear, without axis...

Denny

But Einsteins theories seem to state time can be bent which would seem to give it an axis. I subscribe to the theory's of Gottfried Leibniz and Immanuel Kant, whereby "Space and time do not exist in and of themselves, but ... are the product of the way we represent things" because we can know objects only as they appear to us. <from Wikipedia>

Something we use to define other things such as velocity, I hold out that much of physics may fall into place once we discover times universal measurement used in creation rather then our arbitrary 86,400th of our earths rotation. Same theory with numbers, who is it that decided that creation must have 10 fingers? I hold we are still stuck in our Terra/Homo-Centric flat earth mode, we need a little "Freestyle" thinking before we understand.

Freestyle flying isn't art as hung on a wall but it is performance art, it's only there at that moment then it's gone, and like performance art many may witness it but few may see it.

Ok, ok ... I'm getting a little too freestyle here, I'll shut-up now  Cheesy

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2011, 12:55 PM »

I believe axes is the commonly accepted plural of axis. Though I think pitch & yaw are the only really relevant axes of rotation in dual line kites.

Denny

To side step again on this.

axis  (kss)
Plural axes (ksz)
1. An imaginary line around which an object rotates. In a rotating sphere, such as the Earth and other planets, the two ends of the axis are called poles. The 23.45 tilt of the Earth's axis with respect to the plane of its orbit around the Sun causes the Northern and Southern Hemispheres to point toward and away from the Sun at different times of the year, creating seasonal patterns of weather and climate. Other planets in the solar system have widely varying tilts to their axes, ranging from near 0 for Mercury to 177 for Venus.
2. Mathematics
a. A line, ray, or line segment with respect to which a figure or object is symmetrical.
b. A reference line from which distances or angles are measured in a coordinate system, such as the x-axis and y-axis in the Cartesian coordinate system.
3. Anatomy The second cervical vertebra, which serves as a pivot for the head.
4. Botany The main stem or central part of a plant or plant part, about which other plant parts, such as branches or leaflets, are arranged.
axial adjective

If you really look at how a trick kite is flown we do use all 3 axes of rotation all be it one way less than the other two.   
Pitch=yo yo based tricks , fade, flare
 Yaw= 540's, lazy's , backspins, figures 
 Roll= barrel roll fade recovery   

Axels, insane's and barrel roll type backspins use both yaw and roll axes.
tpatter

« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2011, 02:34 PM »

This is like defining 'dance'.

The definition can be technically specified, but will still tell you little about the words true meaning.

6 kite tom
stapp59
« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2011, 04:43 PM »

Freestyle - Performance kite flying in which the pilot demonstrates skill, style, and expression to link together tricks and figures in an aesthetically pleasing manner. Competent fliers often display expressions of fun and enjoyment. Expert fliers may experience a metal state of 'flow' in the pursuit of 'artful expression'.  Master fliers strive for a state of 'oneness with the universe' and can be spontaneously transported through the space time continuum leaving behind empty handles and spectator wonderment.

Added a few sentences around mastery progression and transcendence.  Roll Eyes Cheesy

« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 05:04 PM by stapp59 » Logged
Kantaxel
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #34 on: March 12, 2011, 05:47 PM »

I believe axes is the commonly accepted plural of axis. Though I think pitch & yaw are the only really relevant axes of rotation in dual line kites.
And I agree, time is continual, linear, without axis.
Denny

Agreed, I was trying to conjugate a verb which axis is not............I stand corrected on that Mike.

Kant Fly......might just as well buy!
fidelio
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2011, 07:53 PM »

time can absolutely be bent, but the scale at which it curves is so large, from any single observation point it would always appear flat.

Fdeli
WinterDaze
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2011, 11:49 PM »

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Ummmm, PR...  Public Relations.... and ummm not 'Physics Revised'...

They may well be the most opposite of ideas... Lips sealed

But please continue, there are a few good ideas starting to surface...

But lets try and aim the description at maybe just a little under Professor,
(just trying to be inclusive of a slightly broader audience)  Wink

As you were...

WinterDaze AoF
fidelio
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #37 on: March 13, 2011, 04:55 AM »

freestyle kite flying: play with the breeze, as you please.

Fdeli
Ca Ike

« Reply #38 on: March 13, 2011, 09:02 PM »

Ok this is Pretty much moot guys.  IF you want to get technical freestyle and freeform are the same thing.  Basically meaning to go beyond the conventional adding a unique flare or touch creating a new form or style.  Mostly describing art or architechture.

As near as I can find, freestyle is basically slang for the phrase "freeform style".  Common use and origin seems to have come about during the boom in trick skateboarding and BMX biking.  THe phrase "freeform style" eventually was condensed to freestyle when it came to sport type activities.  Freestyle BMX etc.  THats really what we do, take conventional kite flying styles and put them together how we want creating a new acrobatic form.
WinterDaze
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #39 on: March 13, 2011, 10:10 PM »

Ok this is Pretty much moot guys.  IF you want to get technical

A, we're not supposed to get technical in this thread, think of this as 'Freestyle words' I'm on the quest of words that dance:

Here is and example, Bill actually says nothing about her, he uses the idea that description would be pointless... Yet, he leaves you with and indefinable image of the described.

SONNET 17

Who will believe my verse in time to come,
If it were fill'd with your most high deserts?
Though yet, heaven knows, it is but as a tomb
Which hides your life and shows not half your parts.
If I could write the beauty of your eyes
And in fresh numbers number all your graces,
The age to come would say 'This poet lies:
Such heavenly touches ne'er touch'd earthly faces.'
So should my papers yellow'd with their age
Be scorn'd like old men of less truth than tongue,
And your true rights be term'd a poet's rage
And stretched metre of an antique song:
   But were some child of yours alive that time,
   You should live twice; in it and in my rhyme.

By Bill.

Hard  act to follow, but one of my favorite examples of his work.

It's all about the 'idea', and just so you know, I am well aware the English language is piss poor at emotive descriptive, but none the less  Wink

As near as I can find, freestyle is basically slang for the phrase "freeform style"

A, I'm not looking for a google fest, I can do that myself, I want some original work, have you seen the film 'Dead Poet Society'? Awesome movie, this bit stuck with me, Robin says it better that I could type it

WD

Apologies to all, this can happen if you catch me with a glass of red in my hands Wink but hey it is my thread....  Cool

Dead Poets Society - the mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation; don't resign to that...

A, this is the bit I want you to play with
take conventional kite flying styles and put them together how we want creating a new acrobatic form.
In Australia this might be described as "As dry as a dead dingo's donga" (no link, for good reason Wink)

If you can spice this up a bit though well,then we might be cookin up something a bit special  Smiley

WD
« Last Edit: March 13, 2011, 10:40 PM by WinterDaze » Logged

WinterDaze AoF
Kantaxel
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #40 on: March 14, 2011, 01:16 AM »

Ok this is Pretty much moot guys.  IF you want to get technical

A, we're not supposed to get technical in this thread, think of this as 'Freestyle words' I'm on the quest of words that dance:

Apologies to all, this can happen if you catch me with a glass of red in my hands Wink but hey it is my thread....  Cool

Maybe........just maybe Smiley Shannon, a change to a less colorful beverage is in order?  Something along the likes of clear or maybe even Amber?

Just sayin' Undecided

cheers,
Jim

Kant Fly......might just as well buy!
zippy8
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #41 on: March 14, 2011, 10:35 AM »

Maybe........just maybe Smiley Shannon, a change to a less colorful beverage is in order?

Are you not familiar with the qualities of Australian table wines ?

Mike,
bugger.

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
GWTWNewb
« Reply #42 on: March 21, 2011, 04:42 AM »

If I might hijack the thread a bit.

I haven't ever been asked what freestyle is, but I do regularly get asked by random passers-by: "How come the strings don't get tangled up when you do that?"

I never really know what to say, other than "You need the right sort of kite and a lot of practice.", and that doesn't seem to satisfy their curiosity.  Any ideas about a better answer?
stapp59
« Reply #43 on: March 21, 2011, 06:07 AM »

If I might hijack the thread a bit.

I haven't ever been asked what freestyle is, but I do regularly get asked by random passers-by: "How come the strings don't get tangled up when you do that?"

I never really know what to say, other than "You need the right sort of kite and a lot of practice.", and that doesn't seem to satisfy their curiosity.  Any ideas about a better answer?

I like to use the ice skating/skateboarding/snowboarding/BMX bike etc analogy.  It's pretty easy to learn how to skate around for enjoyment.  Learning to do spins and tricks takes time and practice not to end up in a heap on the ground...
cerfvoliste
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #44 on: March 21, 2011, 09:43 AM »

I do regularly get asked by random passers-by: "How come the strings don't get tangled up when you do that?"

When, I get asked that question I say; "They do."
CV

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change