GWTW Forum
November 26, 2014, 07:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fondest kite memories?  (Read 1841 times)
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« on: March 10, 2011, 09:45 PM »

Was talking about kites we had as kids on chat and that got me thinking.  Whats your fondest memories of kiting?

For me its the times sitting around with my dad as a kid making diamonds out of newspaper or sleds out of plastic garbage bags and dowels( back in the 70's).  He still has one I don't remember making but I was 6 and it has my hand prints all over it in fingerpaints Smiley
inewham
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2011, 12:47 AM »

A seaside holiday with my parents and an uncle who was my hero at the time (he got me into kites and motorcycles).

I was bored while everyone was lounging on the beach so my uncle took me to a gardening shop in his little Isetta bubble car. He bought bamboo canes, polythene sheet and lots of nylon string.

When we got back we made the biggest diamond kite I'd ever seen (I was only 5 or 6 y/o) I guess it must have been about 6ft tall in hindsight.

We kept tying a new spool of string on when each one ran out until I could barely see the kite - then the string snapped  Sad

We spent the next hour touring around in his little Isetta looking for the kite and we did find it but had to break it to fit it in the car.

That night I'd spent so long in the sun I was really badly sunburnt but its probably my fondest kite memory.

Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2011, 10:35 AM »

My first two serious kites were a 25' Mylar dragon and a Mylar Indian fighter. At age
12 I spent a lot of time on the beach with these and the experience is the essence of kiting for me.

Allen, AKA kitehead
ko
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2011, 11:27 AM »

my first kite .on vacation 600 miles from nowhere in baja mexico

have fun kurt
stapp59
Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2011, 12:35 PM »

Somewhere around 40 years ago a Jolly Rogers paper diamond on cotton string tied to a tree.  Mom called for dinner and I left the kite to fly.  Still there flying after dinner.  Way cool...
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2011, 10:44 AM »

A lot of memories actually of childhood kite flying, getting a kite & line was almost a yearly tradition. Most went like this, once Monkey Wards got kites in stock Mom would give each of us enough money for a kite and 2 rolls of line and us kids would walk on down to Wards to pick out our kite, then home to rip up a sheet for tails. Once together we would head to the fields behind our houses for a test fly. Of course there were usually further plans for the kites, on a following weekend the whole family would head up to the Park at the Easter Cross with a picnic to spend the day flying. One year I especially remember was when we actually had wind and ended up training all five or six kites out with both rolls of line between each, tied them off and headed home to see if we could spot them over the house.

Another year our elementary school planned a kite day, Dad designed my brother and I a kite, ripped the sticks and we built them, a Butterfly for my brother and a bird for me. Vic's Butterfly won for the most beautiful and as is typical we had no wind but I got much of my class running with the line along the longest route I could figure through the odd shaped school yard in a big figure 8 loop, we got two rolls of line out with about 3 rounds so we won for highest flying.

That Sping tradition was resurrected in the mid 1980's when us kids started our own families, I had began flying kites again with the introduction of Sport Kites so my sister Leslie said let's all go up to Table Mountain Easter Sunday, hide eggs, fly kites and picnic. The Table Mt. Easter tradition continues today, weather permitting, now that those kids have kids of their own. That's something like 50 years now the Hagen clan here in Chico has been gathering at some point on or around Easter to fly kites, picnic and celebrate the exit of winter and new life springing up.

Oh and Dad still builds a kite now and then, Mom & Dad do the Table Mt. picnic/kite fly/hike to the falls, along with Chico Kite Day and WSIKF every year.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
greenbulletblues

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2011, 03:11 PM »

Actually my fondest memory was only 7 years ago.  I couldn't afford any decent kites as a child and had very few.  Then I entered my second childhood at age 45. I bought a red triplane kite at Holden Beach, NC that was made by Go Fly A Kite. I marveled at how well it was made and the ingenious design. It was about $40, which I thought was crazy to spend for a kite.  Ha Ha, I just bought a Rev. B and other stunt kites, $40 was nothing. Fortunately, it flew perfect out of the box, because I would not have had a clue as to what to modify or change.  I was hooked on kites and their beauty with that one.  I still have it and love to watch it fly several times a summer.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 03:45 PM by bulletblues » Logged
bigpappo1
Trade Count: (+8)

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2011, 05:15 PM »

My dad bought me a man in the moon paper kite when I was 4 (58 years ago). I was so much in awe of something flying on the other end of the string, wasn't paying any attention when clouds and rain moved in. My dad couldn't talk me into coming in the house and the kite fell apart as it got wet (Dad was laughing, I was crying!). Dad taught me how to make a kite out of sticks and newspaper the next day, and I was hooked for sure. I still have a bunch of paper kites and take one out once and awhile just to try and remember the rush I got back then. I miss my dad too!.
Charly
Trade Count: (+22)

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2011, 07:41 AM »

My fondest kite memory actually had nothing to with an actual kite.  In 2004 I was at WSIKF and I went to meet and greet Ray Rethell as I hadn't seen him since the year before.  Ray stuck out his hand to shake mine, and greeted me in French.  I decided to mess with him a little so I answered him in Japanese.  Ray stood there for a few seconds first, then he replied "if you do you have to clean it up".  Those around us split a gut laughing.  Thanks again Ray.

Charly

Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be a convenience store and not a government agency!
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2011, 02:05 PM »

Wow.  THere's some great stories here.  Thats a great tradition you have there MIke and I hope  it continues for you and your family. 

Thats where this hobby is better than most.  I keep a couple of my beginner(beater) kites on me when i go out and nearly every time fly someone wants to ask about it.  Usually a parent with a kid thats just amazed at my novice skills and what these kites can do and I always offer to let them have a go on one.  THe excitement on these kids faces just adds to the fun of the hobby and I'm sure I've sparked more than one new family activity interest.  HAppened again yesterday with a Father and his 11 yo daughter.  Now they're both hooked and asked me to go with them to help pick out a good kite for each of them.  Whats interesting though, is lately there have been more young girls than boys wanting to try them out and get into the hobby and I think thats great.  A new generation of women kiters coming up Smiley
RevJim
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2011, 01:16 PM »

In the early to mid 80s I attended an event called RecLab several times in Lake Yale, Florida. One year I learned how to lead workshops teaching kids to build Hornbeam Sled kites using bright, designed trash bags. The kites are great low wind flyers. Warren Bailey of WorldWide Games taught the class. He was also kind enough to invite me to meet him one afternoon beside the lake and have a turn flying his Hawaiian Team kite. He was so gracious (standing behind me coaching me along). His kite was so great. Wow! What power! What a roar! I was amazed that I could actually lean back against the pull of the kite. It was great to fly that kite. I can just guess what my face looked like. I'll never forget it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum