GWTW Forum
October 24, 2014, 05:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What type of anchors should be used?  (Read 3179 times)
Alfredo
Trade Count: (+3)

« on: March 13, 2011, 06:10 PM »

Hi all. I've heard of show kites being anchored to dump trucks and all, but don't understand how it's done. Anyone have pictures? Also, does anyone know of alternatives to dump trucks?

Thank you in advance,
Alfredo.

I fully appreciate the ability of trees to attract kites. They have special powers that way. (Quote by - Charlie Dunton)
thief
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2011, 06:24 PM »

best place to check out is gombergkites.com there is a whole lot of info there!!!!!

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Alfredo

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2011, 06:29 PM »

Thank you! Smiley

I fully appreciate the ability of trees to attract kites. They have special powers that way. (Quote by - Charlie Dunton)
mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2011, 07:48 PM »

I've seen back hoe's used, anything judged stable enough might be used. The method is similar to how we might tie off any kite to a stationary object, just on a much larger scale using big ropes, tow straps, etc, and hardware you might find at your logging or trucking supply company.

SOLO was tied off to a backhoe as I recall, I didn't take shots of the anchor

[attachments older than 90 days deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: March 13, 2011, 07:59 PM by mikenchico » Logged

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Alfredo

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2011, 08:12 PM »

Thank you. I was just wondering because a dump truck seems pretty extreme. Do you think my mom's truck would do the trick? We have a Raptor. It's a big truck, but the kite is intimidating...lol

2010_ford_f150_svt_raptor12 by csabamaxxrally, on Flickr

thief

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2011, 03:46 AM »

Alfredo: what kite?Huh

you can always make a car the anchor of a kite...personally i never use any metal items near the vehicle....(if the line breaks i do not want my carabiner through my windows)......the easiest way is to get a loop of rope and lay it on the ground around where the tire is....tug the rope so that the rope pulls tight into the ground/tire interface as you do not really want the anchor sliding up into the back of the wheel assembly.....

Circus tent style stakes work very well.....big 3 or 4' long spikes that you need to use a sledgehammer ot drive in....

http://www.gombergkites.com/faq/faq-a.html

it is always better to admit that you intimidated by a kite than to lose it by accident!

MtnFlyer
Trade Count: (+50)

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2011, 04:16 AM »

Alfredo, for a good answer to your question, you really need to let us know what kite you're referring to and what type of ground you're going to be flying over.

I'm sure you could use them, but I've only seen loaded dump trucks used for anchoring the MegaFlags (10,400 sq ft). For a train of full size octos, I've seen the main line strap run (sideways) around car front tires on the beach. I've used crossed (X) 2' and 3' contractor spikes in fields with solid ground and sand anchors on the beach. It's totally dependent on what you're flying, the wind conditions, and what the ground is like.

But if you do anchor to the truck (reasonable), if it's a hard-pulling kite make sure you anchor to the engine end. Put it in 4WD, leave it in gear and set the parking brake. I've heard of the light back end being lifted when the trailer hitch is used.

As said above, poke around DG's website - there's a plethora of good advice, pictures and drawings to be found. Here's a link on Anchoring to get you started.

Bob
Alfredo

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2011, 08:45 AM »

Thank you guys for your replies. I was thinking of something like a SOLO or Whale from Peter Lynn. Those kites seem to be some of the biggest they have.

thief

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2011, 09:03 AM »

You have some good taste! nice big things....
one thing to keep in mind is whether or not you want to do ONE major kite or a few smaller ones (Large and mediums mixed) to create more of a display...
I know of some large peter lynn pieces at good prices...........

Alfredo

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2011, 10:27 AM »

Someday, I would like to own a SOLO, Whale, and Ray. I'll stick to duals for now, though.
The show kites can get pricey...lol
Let me see-
Whale......$4500 Shocked
OLO.........$5100 Huh
Ray..........$4500 Embarrassed
Total- $14,100 Cry Cry Cry Cry

Steve
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+39)

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2011, 10:41 AM »

Show kites look like a lot of fun ... but ... they are also a lot of work and and  the is a certain amount of danger in flying them.  Should you decide in the future to get one I would STRONGLY recommend you spend some time with an experienced show kite pilot "helping out".  Besides learning all the safety issues you may also find that flying and tending them is not as much fun as you may think.
Flying large kites is a huge responsibility and should not be taken lightly.

Steve ... Ancient One
-look to the sky with imagination, grasp the wind with outstretched arms and take flight
thief

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2011, 10:52 AM »

Someday, I would like to own a SOLO, Whale, and Ray. I'll stick to duals for now, though.
The show kites can get pricey...lol
Let me see-
Whale......$4500 Shocked
OLO.........$5100 Huh
Ray..........$4500 Embarrassed
Total- $14,100 Cry Cry Cry Cry

yes they can get VERY pricey....and then do not forget shipping from "down under"....
the price of the line needed can easily be 3 digits!!!

personally like a mix of smaller pieces that fly well that i can handle myself...the overally huge stuff is not my cup of tea...rather fly a bunch of mediums........

« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 10:53 AM by thief » Logged

Alfredo

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2011, 11:07 AM »

Show kites look like a lot of fun ... but ... they are also a lot of work and and  the is a certain amount of danger in flying them.  Should you decide in the future to get one I would STRONGLY recommend you spend some time with an experienced show kite pilot "helping out".  Besides learning all the safety issues you may also find that flying and tending them is not as much fun as you may think.
Flying large kites is a huge responsibility and should not be taken lightly.
Thanks. I will go to a kite fest this 19th. There will be a couple of show kite pilots there, so I will be watching the whole process. I know for sure that at least 3 OLOs will come. Smiley

thief

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2011, 02:21 PM »

what fest are you going to Alfredo?

If you are interested in the big stuff I would suggest you search out Barry Ogletree....or you can google WhatAKite and chat with him....he is a great guy who will probably get you onto his ground crew to get experience...

Alfredo

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2011, 02:24 PM »

I am going to Fest of tails in San Antonio. it is a dog/kite event, so it will be pretty cool. Thanks for the info, I will do my research.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change