GWTW Forum
December 20, 2014, 06:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2 ... 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: KITE PARTY 10  (Read 15602 times)
Revgod
Trade Count: (+1)

« on: March 13, 2011, 11:42 PM »

The weekend of March 10-11, 2012. The only forseeable change could be adding a day!
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 07:20 AM by mikenchico » Logged

Steve's CTR
cgregurich73
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2011, 11:44 PM »

that will be my first kite party going to start saving now.....

My wife can't tell me to go fly a kite when shes mad at me now.

Whats in the bag?
 Hq baby tana 2002
 Revolution 1.5
Wakeless Kites
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2011, 02:49 PM »

I have to say that the webcam was great. I found that I liked it best on the big screen Grin Grin
Made me really want to "not" miss another KP.

Did I hear something about it being offically 3 days?
 next year
adx1592
Trade Count: (+31)

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2011, 03:28 PM »

You guys have no idea how badly I want to go!   Cry

Hopefully it's on spring break next year.

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
Revgod

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2011, 08:43 PM »

...Did I hear something about it being offically 3 days?
 next year

Not "officially" yet. Meeting with the city in the next couple weeks.
Dave

Steve's CTR
Gamelord
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2011, 12:11 PM »

I'll be there!

Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+20)

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2011, 02:47 PM »

The weekend of March 10-11, 2012. The only forseeable change could be adding a day!

Would that change Friday from a casual day to a restricted field day? I'm kinda down on that idea. Best flying is often on Friday.

Not like I'm gonna boycott or anything...

Allen, AKA kitehead
monkey

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2011, 03:15 PM »

I suspect Friday will become parking lot day from now on. Cheesy

david hathaway
www.iquad.ca
quaa714

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2011, 05:00 PM »

I suspect Friday will become parking lot day from now on. Cheesy

Team flying on 75s in a parking lot that mightve been 60 feet at best was AWESOME!!!!!!! Sure did make for some interesting take offs and landings!!!!!!
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2011, 05:10 PM »

Admittedly, the demo sessions are for the crowds, not the fliers. The fliers are there to hang with other fliers and fly, not watch routines we've seen many times.

The demos are a necessary evil, hopefully kept to a minimum.

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
King-J

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2011, 05:50 PM »

Might be able to make this one, as long as my son doesn't take leave during those dates, Missed this years kite party, my son was home on leave from his second tour in Iraq, wanted to spend some time with him before he was heading back to Iraq.
John

My Family, With More To Be Born                          
Jim Foster

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2011, 05:55 PM »

The time for demos seemed to be a little shorter this year.  The first demo session of the day seemed to be just at the right time to break for lunch.  Really worked well for us.  Otherwise some of us will fly and fly and fly, and find we have blown right by lunch and have not taken a break.  Perhaps Lynn and I are the only ones who have this happen, perhaps not, but it did work out well for us.

Sit, relax, watch some great flying, have lunch, drink some water, apply another layer of sunscreen, perhaps a short snooze (just kidding).

Fly Together! Share the Joy, Share the Fun
Revgod

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2011, 10:00 PM »

John, correct, and I thought there were less this year. Allen, forget about it, won't be an extra day, and I was thinking about Monday anyway, keeping Friday as is. But never mind, format stays the same. Here is the deal, if the city does what they say they want to do, the public can't be excluded. For city sponsorship money, they're gonna require "festival" type atmosphere, and they want it BIG. To keep the Kite Party as is it is, which is the biggest challenge every year, there is only one option as far as I'm concerned, a second event in the Fall. The hardest part for me is figuring out how to manage the growth since it appears that each year, more and more people want to be "registered" fliers. Well, numbers get bigger, the beach doesn't. If they ever let me pull volleyball poles from both sides of pier, it would be much easier to manage growth. So once again, this event is for you folks, so you tell me what you'd like to see happen. Limit numbers? Establish seniority based on number of years attended? I'm all ears.

Steve's CTR
Jeepster

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2011, 11:36 PM »

First let me extend my "THANK YOU" for a tremendous party ... Dave, it was great.

As Jim explained, the timing and the demo length felt more balanced this year ... thank you!  The demos need to take place to wow the crowd and get them thinking about joining the kiting fraternity, and thereby, help support The Kite Connection.  Plus, they force us off the field to eat lunch and give us a chance to talk to others.  Rev flying in a line is very conducive to conversation and camaraderie.  For safety, the big kite fliers have to be anchored to their kites and can't wander far afield to talk to others.  Thus, the demos offered a good chance for sport kite fliers to wander around and talk to them.

The evening meals are another great chance to spend quality time with old and new friends.  Don't curtail them.

It would be interesting to know how many fliers actually showed up each year.  I noticed that the box of official passes had a lot of unclaimed tags in it.  Is it really growing so much that restrictions are necessary?  Some of the old timers didn't show up and they were missed.   But, quite a few first timers were there and it was fun to see how much they enjoyed themselves ... the three that I talked to were making plans to attend next year.  Please try to find a way not to restrict attendance.

From an extremely selfish stand point, I would like to see the format stay the same.  The IKE guys taught me to come early in the week and stay over into the next week.  That's half the fun ... unrestricted time to fly, talk and trade lies.  I'd give up one of those days to support a fes ... fes ... festival, but then I'm retired and don't have to work to support my family.  Others might find it hard to add an extra day or so.  An official festival in the fall that includes support from the city for Kite Party, might be an idea worth pursuing.

That's my two cents ...

And again Dave, thank you for another memorable party.

Cheers,
Tom

Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+20)

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2011, 12:43 AM »

Demos were just right this year. Everyone involved knows the ropes. Subbing another dual line routine for a quad would be good. Even an impromptu mega fly would be cool. A bunch of duallies zooming around is a nice contrast to the precise quads.

Even though we seemed to have a lot of people registered, the field wasn't any more crowded than average.

Judging by the number of "campsites" around the field and attendance Saturday night, I don't think we grew much.

Only field issue this year was a lot of revs staked out and left for long periods of time. Next year we might want to start with an expressed atitude of "make space for someone else when you leave the field" It's easy to lose sight of this, especially for quad fliers who can more easily operate in confined spaces.

Allen, AKA kitehead
Pages: [1] 2 ... 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Kite Classifieds Ad
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum