GWTW Forum
October 25, 2014, 12:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anoter Quad Newbie  (Read 4308 times)
Rick
Trade Count: (0)

« on: March 21, 2011, 06:30 PM »

OK guys,

I've read the posts and I'm sold on the Rev. My question, 1.5 SLE or EXP, is there a big difference other than price? I've been flying duals for 30 years and want to expand my horizans. Will I be sorry if I go with the EXP or should I spend the extra buck and get the SLE?
Jim Foster

« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2011, 06:42 PM »

Either the EXP or the  1.5 SLE will be fine, just depends on colors you want and how serious you are.  If you are really serious, and intend to stick with Rev flying, you might consider stepping on up to a "B" series.  "B"s do fly very well and come with an extra frame set which will widen the wind range and come in handy as you get more experience.

You might also check over on the Rev forum for more information and ideas.

Fly Together! Share the Joy, Share the Fun
nckiter
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2011, 06:47 PM »

Hi Rick,
If you are really sold on the rev I'd recommend springing an extra few bucks and getting a B series. You won't notice a difference in the learning stages but after you get the basics down there is a noticeable difference. Plus the B series will come with an extra frame set which about makes up for the cost difference and widens your wind range.
Rick

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2011, 06:55 PM »

Thanks Guys,

And I'm off to the REV Forum.
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2011, 09:09 PM »

From the perspective of a long time dual line flyer who has only started on quads in the last couple of years:

I get the most enjoyment and learn the most from my vented Rev. In nice normal wind I'm more likely to fly a favorite duallie, but I had grown tired of high winds with even a severely vented dual line kite. The vented Rev is easy and fun in strong wind. I don't even own a real vented dually any more.

At the opposite end of the spectrum, I struggled mightily with the lower wind range until I got a 2 wrap frame for the standard Rev. If you primarily have normal to light wind, getting two frame sets on a standard or B series Rev is the way to go. I know at least one retailer offers packages with both frames on regular Rev 1.5s like with the B series. Personally, I think some of the regular 1.5s are better looking than many of the Bs.

Allen, AKA kitehead
bigpappo1
Trade Count: (+8)

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2011, 11:34 PM »

Allen has some good points, even though I love the B Rev, I'm still a light wind Dual line lover. So far my favorites are the vented revs though, and for the same reasons Allen gave. Take a look at the 1.5 SLE vtd  or the B series 1/2 vent. I prefer the wind to fly the kite rather than moving around a lot.
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2011, 08:58 AM »

What Allen said, one of the shops sells the standard 1.5 with your choice of two framesets which lets you setup your kite with a wide wind range. I believe they have an advertisement on the right.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Gamelord
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2011, 12:58 PM »

We can customize any Rev package with any frameset.  If you are not sure what you want, give us a call and we can set you up.  We have all models and nearly all colors in stock at all times.  Our link is over there ----> Smiley

Rick

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2011, 02:26 PM »

I guess I really need to back off on my impulse buying. I ordered myself a REV B last night through Midwest Kites, spoke to Lyn, seemed nice. As to my Dualies, still love em and I won't be giving them up any time soon.
Jim Foster

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2011, 06:53 PM »

I ordered myself a REV B last night

Good choice.

Rick

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2011, 07:04 PM »

Got my B REV Saturday, watched the DVD, can't wait for the weather to clear off and dry out the field I fly. This is one pretty kite, thanks for all the input guys, I think I might just like the "Dark Side".  Smiley
Jim Foster

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2011, 07:31 PM »

You might contact someone from IKE (Illinois Kite Enthusiasts).  I think they may have members in or near your area.

Getting someone to help with your first Rev set-up, flight and take down can save you loads of time and frustration.

It isn't so much the flying of the kite, but line set-up and take-down where folks can have trouble.  It is very different with a set of quad lines than with a set of dual kite lines.   Wink

Jeepster

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2011, 08:56 PM »

Rich,

Jynx lives in the Milwaukee area as do some other Rev fliers.  You can PM her via GWTW, Rev forum or IKE forum ... same screen name on all forums.

Glad to see another convert ...

Cheers,
Tom
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2011, 10:11 PM »

From another relative newbie, take your time with the lines. Get in the habit of doing everything the same way every time. Do it right, no problem, you're flying in a couple of minutes. Do it wrong and your next "quick trip to the kite field" will have a lot less flying time.

I've been shown maybe three or four distinct methods or philosophies of quad line management, and I think it comes down to finding a method that works for you and sticking to it. There was a good thread on the old GWTW, but I know there is at least one on the Rev forum too.

Have Fun!

Allen, AKA kitehead
kiteking
Trade Count: (+11)

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2011, 11:42 PM »

John has a series of tutorials for the rev

Line Management

Assembly and Disassembly

"Wind to your back, Kite in the sky."

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-11

#518  -    #110883 -

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change