GWTW Forum
November 20, 2014, 06:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anoter Quad Newbie  (Read 4376 times)
sirrom
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2011, 09:39 PM »

You made a great choice Rick in the Rev B series.  Lyn and Rich from Midwest Kites will take good care of you.  That's me & my Custom Pro Vented Rev on their home page.  I love to fly that vented with Race Rods.  Talk about fun  Tongue

I definitely agree with mike above, watch the line management and assembly from John.  This will keep you in the air flying and not on the ground frustrated  Cry

Tell Lyn & Rich Hi from me next time you talk  Wink
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 09:41 PM by sirrom » Logged

Brett
Bob D
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2011, 06:57 AM »

When I wrap my lines up, start from the quad end and detach each pair one at a time. I larks head the lower line of the bridle to the higher line. I keep my pairs lines apart until I'm ready to attach them to the winder. I loop the upper line loop for each pair on the  winder and figure 8 the lines on the winder until I get to the handles. I detach the lines from one handle and larks head the bottom line to the top and keep it separate from the pair from the other handle. Then I'm careful to be sure that I don't accidentally drop one pair between the lines of the other pair. Carefully finish wrapping the lines and thread the elastic on winder through the loops to secure the lines to the winder. The next time you set up your lines shouldn't have any tangles.

Bob D.
Rick
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2011, 03:52 PM »

Thanks for the added input, I bought the "package" deal and it came with the tutorial DVD, very informative, and I'm with John about winding lines. Not to sound pre-sumptuous but I've never needed to figure eight my lines. I started with yo-yo winders, a real pain for storage, upgraded to Moran Winders and now use what ever comes with the kite or make my own out of PVC sheet.
The field where I fly is almost dry enough to go play in. That is providing we don't have a late snow storm. The University grounds-keeper gets upset if we tear up the lawn. (I share the field with the local RC Flyers.) I'm hoping to get enough practice in to be able to not embarrass myself to much at the local kite festivals. I've even bought a set of Q-flaps to play with for my Duallies.
goestoeleven
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2011, 09:41 PM »

Hello Rick - as another newbie to quad flying and IKE, welcome to the dark side.  Biggest hurdle for me was losing the dual line habits.  My flying has improved a lot by meeting up with other Rev flyers and practice, practice, practice.  Well, at least improved from "crashing" to "not crashing, most of the time."  As Jeepster mentioned, Jynx is relatively near you, and IKE gets together for club flys and also meets up at various festivals.  There's a festivals page on the IKE web site, and I'm pretty sure IKE people are going to Valparaiso in a couple weeks and Milwaukee at the end of the month. 
Jynx
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2011, 09:20 AM »

Rick ~ Just give a heads-up when you're in the (Milwaukee) area... Veterans park at our lakefront is a great place to fly and I'd love to meet-up and share the skies with ya!

Welcome to the obsessional Dark-Side! ...It's most WINDerFULL!    Wink

Info on Milwaukee's Family kite festival (May 28th-29th):
http://www.giftofwings.com/cgi-bin/SoftCart.exe/events/familykitefest/index.html?L+mystore1+vdcw7808ff237d23+1304267680

"Excuse me while I kiss the sky."
Jimi Hendrix
Rick
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2011, 03:00 PM »

Hi Guys N Gals,

I finaly got to get out my Rev today, I cheated a bit and started out with Q-Flaps on my NTK Diode and after some slight (ha ha ha) adjustments flew for about an hour before switching to the Rev. After a few more adjustments and yes a little frustration I was flying my Rev, well sort of any way. These are definately a different species of bird. Anyone that has flown both duallies and quads could tell that I'm a dual line flyer first. I have to learn NOT to pull the lines to turn the kite, at least not yet. I did a lot of "bouncing" off the ground and thinking that maybe 15 to 20 mph winds might not be a good choice to try learning a Rev. Thankfully I purchased a cheap ebay knock-off,and yes this was before I joined the forum and started reading about some of the issues that others had run into. I got the lines hooked up and adjusted and flew the knock-off instead, $70.00 is a lot easier to crash than $300.00 and I definately have that skill down pat. All in all I had a great time and can see that I am going to love the "Dark Side". My thanks to one and all for all the help and information you've given me and others through the forum. I will recomend to anyone I run into to at least take a look even if, (foolishly) they don't join.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum