GWTW Forum
December 18, 2014, 08:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Logo Rok project  (Read 1476 times)
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+20)

« on: March 24, 2011, 01:40 PM »

I posted this over at the kitebuilder forum, but I thought I might as well put it here too.

---------------------

Hi All,

I've got a project in mind and I'm seeking some advice and maybe some assistance.

I work at NASA and I've been thinking about a slk with a big NASA logo on it. The blue "meatball" on a white kite. Probably a rokkaku, as the aspect ratio fits the logo proportions and I like roks. I've checked with HQ and personal use of the logo by a NASA employee for recreation purposes is OK.

I'm long time flyer but not a kite builder so I have some questions.

How close could we come to the proper logo colors with ripstop?

The colors are: PMS185 (red) and PMS 286 (blue)

I probably would be more likely to get grief for using the wrong blue than for anything else.

Would an 8' rok like this be super time consuming or is this design fairly easy to sew?

Anyone interested in giving me a quote on sewing the sail? I could frame and bridle it.

Thanks,

Allen

Allen, AKA kitehead
mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2011, 03:50 PM »

Looks like a pretty straight forward project to me. But matching the blue is going to be the trick, that's one color that really looks different under reflected light (picture of a swatch sheet) and transmitted light (in the sky) the 1.5 oz retains the deeper colors better then the lighter weights, too bad there isn't a proper Blue or Red in the Carrington the other Steve has on closeout, that's the prettiest fabric ever.

Otherwise it's a pretty simple reverse applique job, the smaller stars will be a bit of a problem to sew around and cut out. I would take a little artistic initiative and simplify them just a bit, you could retain the feel with fewer but larger stars  and they would be more visible in the sky. Looking at it you might need to use two layers of red since it goes over and under all the other colors, I'll study it tonight, the other option is the full Randy Tom stained glass technique but with  those small stars I would steer away from that.

Hop on over to Jon T's, those P4X camo's would make the perfect spine, P200 or 300 for the spreaders or you could get fancy and go with 5PT's or 7PT's. Could even use 7PT's for the spine since there's a 40" available, that way you won't have to use a small 3rd piece to get the full 6'.

Plan on a 5 piece sail, making the triangular upper & lower sections seperate will let you do the little angular cut between them to keep the sails shape just a bit better when bowed. Do the applique on the large center square first before sewing it all together. Use Bazzers bowing technique "to the spars rather then the pockets" to keep it simple and not deform the sail.

A Rok is a pretty good first build, not too difficult and a reliable flier to keep you from getting dissappointed.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Stuart99
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2011, 04:02 PM »

From the colors I have seen in person, I'm guessing that Midnight blue will be your best match for the blue, at least in pc31. I used to work for a contractor at a NASA base, and I have painted the "Meatball" quite a few times. Usually the paint that NASA picks looks quite a bit darker in real life than it does in your picture. As Mike said, the darker ripstops will lighten up in the sky a bit.
Allen Carter
Board Moderator

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2011, 04:51 PM »

The blue can vary in density quite a bit as it will be seen in different light and is translucent. It just can't be too purple or too green.

Anyone have experience with double layers of a lighter fabric to hit a color?

That PMS color is just for reference, and it does display differently in various media. Even on the web it's interpreted widely. Here's an example of a bunch of logos that are all "286"

[attachments older than 90 days deleted by admin]

Allen, AKA kitehead
ezme6
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2011, 05:16 PM »

OR........have Los Hermanos Show Kites ....PRINT one for you on PC-31

Cool

"Do what you like"
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2011, 05:23 PM »

Ok a couple step process using both reverse and positive applique.

Blue on white as a reverse applique and cut it out, I would use blue thread. Then red onto that panel as a positive applique, I would use red thread. I think it'll work.

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Allen Carter
Board Moderator

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2011, 05:34 PM »

OR........have Los Hermanos Show Kites ....PRINT one for you on PC-31

Cool

That's something I'd consider, but a sea of solid blue like that is hard to print well with a lot of gear. Can get murky or uneven. It would be nicer in ripstop anyway.

Allen, AKA kitehead
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2011, 08:27 PM »

Oh 8 foot, my old eyes saw 6 foot, that's a big kite, I would consider the 1.5 oz unless you absolutely need low wind performance, an 8 foot Rok will hardly know the weight difference and the richer colors could be worth it in a logo kite. See if you can get the other Steve and Bonnie to send you some sample swatches.

My workmanship isn't good enough to sell IMO, it might've won a few competitions but that has more to do with designs. You want to learn how to sew we're 3-4 hours away.

MB
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2011, 11:52 PM »

For the blue, I would recommend PC 31 Royal Blue - double layered.  Ask Bonnie for a swatch of the Red, Berry and Wine.  Hold those up to the light in single and double layers to see what works.

PensionOne Kite by MBsShots, on Flickr

This kite has a single layer of Royal in the ligher blue and Midnight Blue for the darker.  The colored material is attached to the white skin with 12" wide 3M tranfer tape and can be doubled.  It comes out very clean and sharp.  With a little patience, you could cut it all out, stars and all.  Email me for tips if you want to do it.

Matt
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Kite Classifieds Ad
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum