GWTW Forum
July 31, 2014, 01:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: White Bird Kites  (Read 6792 times)
thief
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2011, 05:16 AM »

Thanks Ron ... shoulda been able to work that out all on my own.

thats ok steep Wink

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
rncembal
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2011, 09:39 AM »

There is a huge difference between "she who we did not mention" and she who shall not  be mentioned!

Remember before buying on Amazon use this link to help Steve!
http://tinyurl.com/kkid20
Stardragon
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2011, 12:22 PM »

Don, I sent a PM for a copy of the catalog since I couldn't find your email address.  Did my PM get through?

Ron
hedronist
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2011, 09:48 PM »

Hi --

I'm brand new here and I'm looking to find information about the woman I bought a number of kites from back in 1976-1978. I first met her on the Marina Green in S.F. when she was flying a kite made from old saris. I seem to remember she had a young daughter with her at the time.

Her name was H... (is her name not to be mentioned?) and I have 5 kites made by her (maybe 6).

Several of them have a tag saying "White Bird Kites, Po Box 2XX, Sebastopol, CA", but not all. I think the earlier ones I bought from her don't have that tag. I have the following kites and I would love to know more about them and her:

1. A Taj Mahal kite. A hex star approx. 32" wide.  Orange background, the Taj in gold applique, with the bottom apparently from an old sari. Several long streamers of orange and red.

2. A French Military kite done as a bird. 36" wide by 32" long + a long tail connected by a swivel connector. White, blues and purples with applique of silver representing a bird's head and feet. The long tail is multilayer of green and purple.

3. A winged box kite. Signed "19/200 He.... 1978". It is a Sun/Moon motif and measures 39" across the wings and is 36" high. This sucker pulls like an 18-wheeler in even a medium wind. It has heavy applique of orange and gold for the Sun on a yellow background, and silver/black on a blue background for the phases of the Moon. Portions of the box are overlays that depict clouds and rainbows. This is one of my personal favorites.

4. Icarus. A bird kite depicting the black silhouette of a man with multilayer wings 56" wide of yellow/orange/red/purple/blue cut as if they were flames. It uses 2 fiberglass rods that thread through the edges of the wings and cross over in the back. It moves in an amazing way.

5. A 36' dragon that she called either the Wind Spirit or the Moon Spirit (I forget which). It is signed "9/100 He... 1978" It is an amazing, multilayer sewing masterpiece that is difficult to describe. Another of my personal favorites.

I bought these from her when I was going through some very emotionally challenging times and, quite frankly, flying them was better therapy for me than anything my therapist came up with. I would love to be able to communicate with her and tell her, "Thank you!"

I can supply pictures of any/all of the above if that helps.

Peter Rowell
  Sebastopol, CA

Ps. I forgot to mention, all of these kites are taffeta (I think that's the material), not mylar.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2011, 09:53 PM by hedronist » Logged
thief

« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2011, 03:27 AM »

Morning Peter.
Definitely post up some pictures!
Heloise and her crew made some beautiful beautiful kites!!!

The earliest white bird kite that I have is a diamond from the late 70's and a dragon from the early 80's....... 

Heloise shut her business down a few years back and seems to have retreated into the wilderness of the non-kite world (like so many other kite makers have done)......

Welcome to the forum Peter!

kiteslinger
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2011, 05:51 AM »

kiteslinger
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2011, 05:53 AM »

thief

« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2011, 09:06 AM »

btw Peter:
I should have mentioned this as well...if you are looking to part with any of them please let me know! Wink
r

thief

« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2011, 09:11 AM »

here are three of my White bird Dragons......there are a few more in the bag...

kitenut75
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2011, 07:06 PM »

btw Peter:
I should have mentioned this as well...if you are looking to part with any of them please let me know! Wink
r

Grin

"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Leonardo da Vinci
photomom
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2011, 07:25 PM »

I too have to chime in here.  I'm collecting White Bird Kites and am always interested if someone as any they want to part with.  Please keep me in mind.

The French Military kite with the bird was known as the Phoenix Box. 

The one kite with the dragon head was called the Friendly Dragon and the other with the hat was the Charlie Chapin.

My pride and joy is the Icarus.  And second is the 150' Friendly Dragon.

kjm

thief

« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2011, 03:45 AM »

the French Military that WB produced and sold in the early 90's was actually the Firebird.   I would need to see a picture of Peter's french military to know if it is a Firebird - it probably is not one since it was made a lot earlier....

rob
white bird dealer from the 90s to 2005

hedronist

« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2011, 09:31 AM »

My sister is in town so I haven't had time to take the pictures, but I'll see if I can do them today. I'm afraid they will be on-the-ground shots.
thief

« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2011, 03:18 PM »

No worries Peter!
if you need help posting them please feel free to email them to me and i can host them for you.

good winds
rob

ainokea

« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2011, 10:36 PM »

I too have to chime in here.  I'm collecting White Bird Kites and am always interested if someone as any they want to part with.  Please keep me in mind.

The French Military kite with the bird was known as the Phoenix Box. 

The one kite with the dragon head was called the Friendly Dragon and the other with the hat was the Charlie Chapin.

My pride and joy is the Icarus.  And second is the 150' Friendly Dragon.

kjm

All of which are very cool kites. A bunch of 150's in flight is an awesome sight to see.

Take a S.W.A.G. at it.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document