GWTW Forum
October 22, 2014, 02:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why Are Sport Kite Fliers So Aesthetically Serious?  (Read 4256 times)
DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2011, 07:56 AM »

I am getting tired from hearing few of you here. I have been in kitting for more then 20 year, helping many flier become a champion and many other thing every where on the, on the phone around the world. Spending time talking to so many pilot when their need help. Now you call me a cult from what??? Buy few kite from me and you call a cult, shame on you. Some time I am thinking get out of this kite family thing. Getting off all this BS.

Anyway, you can just sitting here and wasting your life away and I am heading to Asia for few month enjoy my life. Little advice to you. Change the way you are thinking before you get to old and die.

SNAP
 Cheesy  Cheesy  Cheesy  Cheesy  Cheesy  Cheesy  Cheesy

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
onlye
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2011, 08:10 AM »

It's not just kites.  Take a look at some statistics on the color of cars people buy.  The bright Red, Yellow, Orange, Greens draw people into the showroom but when the wallet comes out it's White, Black, Silver and Grey that dominate the final purchase.

eric
forum member since 04/21/2001
and still can't fly like those darn videos
Fearless Object
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2011, 08:17 AM »

Let's me tell you one more time, Buy what you like and do what you like. Understood Huh

Free world after all, right??? Why always bitching??? Maybe born that way, can't help it Smiley
UPNET
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2011, 08:31 AM »

Not sure I agree with your premise...in the first place. I think most people who gravitate to a kite that "trick's"...are looking for performance first. Aesthetics second. Not sure if folks even consider..."whimsy". Typically...if you want whimsy....you go SLK. And...one mans whimsy...is another man's.....wtf is that! Then there is the cost involved. What would Ken charge for a "Hummingbird" replica. Or Jon T.  Or any other custom kite maker. The market is small enough as it is... and has to appeal to more than one or two people. Still...I suppose you could contact your favorite custom maker...and get a quote. Although I suspect the cost for "whimsy" would be up there.. to reflect the labor/materials involved. Then there is the performance aspect. Would a "Hummingbird"replica "trick" as well...compared to another kite in a custom makers arsenal? Would this require the maker to construct several prototypes? And would you be willing to fund the cost of the prototypes as well? In the end...would the cost of "whimsy" be worth it to you?
 Grin
« Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 08:44 AM by UPNET » Logged

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Voltaire
in.divi.dual
Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2011, 09:25 AM »

I am getting tired from hearing few of you here. I have been in kitting for more then 20 year, helping many flier become a champion and many other thing every where on the, on the phone around the world. Spending time talking to so many pilot when their need help. Now you call me a cult from what??? Buy few kite from me and you call a cult, shame on you. Some time I am thinking get out of this kite family thing. Getting off all this BS.

Anyway, you can just sitting here and wasting your life away and I am heading to Asia for few month enjoy my life. Little advice to you. Change the way you are thinking before you get to old and die.

Um ... err .. whats the expression ?

Oh yeah, I 'member now

LMFAO

indigo_wolf

« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2011, 10:01 AM »

I suspect this Mamba performs like it's brethren.

Cost is certainly a factor.... performance probably less so.  Yes, if you do endless panels and detailed appliqués it will affect weight, drag, and general flight characteristics. But that hasn't always been an impediment:

Some of the aerodynamic challanges of whimsy could be addressed by dye-sublimation, but that would also ramp up the cost factor.

And lest we forget the whimsy factor engendered by adding two more lines to the mix:

Some folks already balk at the price of new Revs and more so with the Masterpiece Series.
Maybe it's not about the lines... maybe if we took away some spars, there would be some more room for whimsy

Ozone kites will do custom colors for a $75 surcharge on their higher end kites.  The surcharge for actually changing panel layout and more aesthetic panel changes is generally something that only companies, not individuals, can afford.

High tech, panel lay out is there for a reason, doesn't look like a kids toy.

toy - a device regarded as providing amusement

Ranging in size from 3M to 10M and based on the Ozone Frenzy platform, I don't think any of the kites by Kieron Jansch will ever be mistaken for something intended for an underage audience.  However, the 300+hours required in their construction would warrant a price tag that most larger "kids" wouldn't be able to foot.  FWIW: I can't think of many powerkiters that wouldn't covet adding one to their quiver.

In the end, it comes down to cost.  Manufacturers can ill-afford to produce a kite that only appeals to a fraction of an already small population.  Custom builders would have to charge for their time and the "PITA" surcharge would in some cases dwarf the base price for vanilla version of a kite.

ATB,
Sam
DWayne

« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2011, 11:08 AM »

Let's me tell you one more time, Buy what you like and do what you like. Understood Huh

Free world after all, right??? Why always bitching??? Maybe born that way, can't help it Smiley

Funny thing is, after rereading this thread, it seems you're the only one doing any bitching.
Maybe you were just born that way.  Wink

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
DD

« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2011, 11:37 AM »

You may not have contributed to the calling it a cult. But those who reccomend your kites on this forum as the ONLY answer for any kite to even the newest of fliers along claiming flites from no wind at all to hurricane force gails with same kite rubs the community at large the wrong way. This maybe coupled with the prices paid for your kites which seem to be over market value tend to give fliers of your kites a "cult" status.

but now more on topic, I think there is alot of whimsy in the kite market and i think those that fly sport kites try to distance themselves from the "rainbow toy beach kites" by being more restrained in their colors. The " i drive a ferrari and that alone is enough to make it great i don't need to paint it garish colors to get noticed" theory

Sine Metu!
DD

« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2011, 11:42 AM »

the seriousness of this day and age just seems to have beat whimsy down..no one can take a joke anymore or laugh, case in point this billboard that got removed

[attachments older than 90 days deleted by admin]

Sine Metu!
kiteclique
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2011, 11:51 AM »

the seriousness of this day and age just seems to have beat whimsy down..no one can take a joke anymore or laugh, case in point this billboard that got removed

Call me a killjoy, but I don't believe companies should really be profiting from the mass suicide of 900+ people.

http://www.raptureready.com/rr-kool-aid.html

-Frazer
Fearless Object

« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2011, 02:04 PM »

Remember one thing here, I did not ask you to buy anything from me understand??? if you like than you buy if you don't like than don't buy it. I am not ask you for anything for free. You pay for what you get. Stop calling a cult. Thank you. Have a nice day.

What a nice day Smiley don't want to wasting anymore time Smiley
« Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 02:10 PM by Fearless Object » Logged
in.divi.dual
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2011, 02:08 PM »

Remember one thing here, I did not ask you to buy anything from me understand??? if you like than you buy if you don't like than don't buy it. I am not ask you for anything for free. You pay for what you get. Stop calling a cult. Thank you. Have a nice day.

Yeah, thats right, leave Lam alone, its not his fault, he never asked for such adulation afterall !

He's Not The Messiah

jaybett
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2011, 02:16 PM »

Entry level products often times have a whimsical nature, to get people to try them. When performance is the main criteria, colors reflect that purpose.

I don't care for white kites on a over cast day, or black kites against a dark back drop such as woods or cliffs. I believe the OP, doesn't care for blue.  

Over the past few years, I've been picking up kites with bright colors that can easily be seen in all conditions.

Jay
jaybett
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2011, 02:42 PM »

Amazing a thread on aesthetics, turns into a one about Lam.

Out of curiosity, to those making critical and snide comments, why do you care so much about Lam?

Is it because he makes a great kite, that is easy to trick, and has a great wind range?

Is it because he is an extraordinary craftsman? 

Is it because he has a group of fliers, that  appreciate his kites?

What part of excellence don't you like?

Jay
Fearless Object

« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2011, 02:50 PM »

Never mine me, I am just little guy Wink Please worry about your country before China take over USA, keep supporting cheap price made in China and one day you and your country will be out of job soon. Wake up  and smell the coffee in China??? Huh

God bless America But you guy never did. Too bad. Keep going the way you are. I don't care my friend. I did not ask you for anything for free, I work hard for what I do. UNDERSTAND Cry
« Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 02:53 PM by Fearless Object » Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change