GWTW Forum
April 19, 2014, 03:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Benson Gemini v. Deep Space  (Read 2353 times)
Doc Z
Trade Count: (+10)

« on: March 23, 2011, 07:23 PM »

I'm looking into getting a Benson and I can't decide between the Gemini and Deep Space. 

Apologies if this comparison was covered elsewhere - I did a quick search and nothing really jumped out at me. 

Recommendations?  Thanks in advance!
Texanpilot
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2011, 07:41 PM »

My $.02 worth (and its probably not even that valuable):

About 5-6 years ago, I tried out someone else's Gem, and I didn't care for it to much.  Not that the kite was bad at all, it just seemed a bit quirky for what I was used to flying (mostly Prisms).  That, and, in part, the wind wasn't that great.

A couple of years later, I tried out a Deep Space and felt like connected with it immediately.  I've since bought my own and fly it rather frequently, especially when I'm in a "fast and loose tricks" mood.  The DS certainly zooms through the tricks quickly, and you had better have a light touch. 

There may be a difference in my flying abilities increasing, or the fact that I was flying the DS in much better wind. 
I'd still like to give the Gem another try and see if my impressions would be the same. 

Not exactly a fair comparison, and certainly not scientific testing.  As I said, this is my limited experience and it may not be worth what you paid for it.

« Last Edit: March 25, 2011, 05:50 PM by Texanpilot » Logged

Steady winds, y'all.
coogee
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2011, 10:13 PM »

Hi
  love my old Gem but the DS is a huge amount of fun. It would be my pick of the pair. If you get a chance fly the Gem as it is a classic kite. What it does well it does very well. Tim's build quality is awesome.
  Mike
Dolphinboy
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2011, 11:01 PM »

DS

James -
Grants Pass, Oregon
A few kite videos YouTube / Vimeo (Yes, I am a Slacker)
Hadge
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2011, 06:45 AM »

It depends on what you are looking for.  The Gem is the 'Classic' Benson kite with it's own unique looks and flying style which is instantly recogisable. It is an older design and so probably won't do the most modern tricks so well and it does need a certain technique to get the best from it but it's a very nice kite.  The DS is a much more modern design, VERY trickable in the right hands and looks and flies like a modern kite. Both are made to the highest standards and either would be a great addition to any kite bag.  Check out the videos of both on Tim's website.

If you do go for the Gem, I would go for the Gem UL rather than the standard - it's more a light standard really unless your name is Tim Benson or Andy Wardley - it flies a little lower and top end is only slightly less than the standard - flies slightly better too - more 'floaty'.  If you possibly can I would recommend trying them out first - they have their own flying style that not everyone gets on with. 

Age and cunning will always overcome youth and skill!

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
Kareloh
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2011, 08:03 AM »

What are you currently flying?

A Gem takes a while to get used to if you have been flying "modern" sportkites.
The first few half axels always seem to fall down, but that's just because the timing is so different on the Gem.

This difference is much less on the DS.
Doc Z
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2011, 08:11 AM »

Thanks for all the recommendations!  Currently flying QPro mostly, so yeah, I think I'm definitely going with the DS.  I've always wanted to check out a Gemini up close and give it a try, but I think I'll enjoy the DS more over the long run. 

I was kinda leaning that way to begin with...I'm sure I'll wind up with both eventually. 

Thanks again.  I really appreciate it!
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 08:37 AM by Doc Z » Logged
Bob D
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2011, 06:50 AM »

The DS has a lighter pull compared to other kites (like the Nirvanas). It cascades beautifully and I finally learned  how to do yoyos using it. Lazy susans are harder but I think you have be more aggressive and give it more slack. The Transfers and the Exile are easier for me to do lazy susans. Overall it's a great kite but it's got its own strengths and weaknesses (for me at least).

Bob D.
inewham
Board Moderator

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2011, 07:04 AM »

They're close enough that I sold the Gem when I got my DS but the Gem has sufficient character of its own that I've kicked myself ever since for doing so.

The DS has a better turtle than the Gem but its a kite where you have to put it into a turtle aggressively then hit your move straight away, it won't hang around and wait for you. The DS also does really sweet flowing cometes.

You know you need both but go for the DS first  Cool

steve.hobart
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2011, 03:08 PM »

The DS is a great kite - be aware that it excels in smooth winds (sea breezes) and I've found is not as tolerant of inland bumpy winds as the Nirvana, QPro, Exile. Not a criticism of the kite, just a characteristic to be aware of.

cheers

steve
DD
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2011, 04:29 PM »

The DS is a great kite - be aware that it excels in smooth winds (sea breezes) and I've found is not as tolerant of inland bumpy winds as the Nirvana, QPro, Exile. Not a criticism of the kite, just a characteristic to be aware of.

cheers

steve

i tend to disagree, bumpy is what i fly in mostly and i fly the DS the most, it handles them better then the vana imo ymmv

Sine Metu!
Bob D

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2011, 05:05 AM »

I know it's off-topic but I like the Nirvana because it's such a neutral kite. The Nirvana demands good technique and good habits. It's not as easy to fly as the DS though.

Bob D.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Cal Custom
kitekids.net

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography