GWTW Forum
July 25, 2014, 08:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking for Mods to the CDC STX 2.3 std.  (Read 1388 times)
donaldrke
Trade Count: (+10)

« on: June 19, 2011, 06:08 PM »

I have a CDC STX 2.3 std. and I love the way it looks, but it just does not fly well at all. I heard of changing the bridle to a 3 point helps, does anyone have the Mods for this kite. any help is greatly appreciated.

Donald

Member of Got Wind?
Donald
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2011, 06:44 PM »

What is it about your kite that you don't like?

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
DD
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2011, 08:04 PM »

stx 2.3 std e1-0 60cm, e2-0 56cm, 0-d 15cmd-i 74.5cm
stx comp 63cm, 53cm, 11cm, 74.5cm
3point stx 59cm,51cm,0cm,68cm

Info gleaned from a sheet by RonG

I guess i am also with John, what is it that you dont like?

[attachments older than 90 days deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: June 19, 2011, 08:09 PM by DD » Logged

Sine Metu!
donaldrke

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2011, 08:15 PM »

it flies good,  not great, I notice that it has a tendency to float once it is about 15 feet up, I have tried to put it back to the setting that you have posted. Not sure if that is due to design and I am not use to it. or just a bridle setting.

Donald

Member of Got Wind?
Donald
donaldrke

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2011, 08:16 PM »

I have tried to add some weight but does not help much.
Donald

Member of Got Wind?
Donald
Michel
Trade Count: (+11)

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2011, 09:39 PM »

I have a CDC STX 2.3 std. and I love the way it looks, but it just does not fly well at all. I heard of changing the bridle to a 3 point helps, does anyone have the Mods for this kite. any help is greatly appreciated.

Have a look here Donald.  Wink
RonG
Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2011, 05:51 AM »

The only version of the 2.3 that I think i improved markedly with my 3 point bridle was the UL; the static bridle really makes that kite come alive.  For the Comp (and Std.) and Vented, the 3 point was a series of trade offs and not an absolute necessity IMO.

Can you describe in more detail what you mean when it say it "tends to float 15 feet up"?  Lacks drive?  Falls on its back and floats?

You probably also want to check your current bridle settings against those sheets that have been posted here.  It's possible your turbo bridle is just badly out of whack - not uncommon with these kites since those easy-to-adjust connection points tend to loosen up and adjust themselves over time.
donaldrke

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2011, 05:23 PM »

Took the kite out today, and with a 8 mile wind. The best way to describe it is exactly that "no drive forward", has been that way since I bought it new. I will measure all the settings again and I appreciate all the input, let you know what I find.  Also mistaken this is a STX 2.1.

Donald

Member of Got Wind?
Donald
stucm89

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2011, 06:19 PM »

Sounds like the nose may be too far back. You can try doing an "upper spreader wrap" by running both upper flying lines under-then over the upper spreader. This shortens the length of the upper bridle leg, and pulls the nose forward. This should give you more drive in lower winds. I still have my standard 2.1 and it can fly in some fairly low winds. This is a great kite, that can do many tricks. If the bridle is off, you may need to do more than one wrap. I see you're in Roanoke, so you may be running into some tricky mountain winds. There are still plenty of these kites around, so you should be able to find plenty of info on them. Good luck!
Stuart
www.wackos.org
www.youtube.com/stucm89
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2011, 09:56 PM »

QUESTION:

Indoors. When you hold the tow points so that all bridle lines are taut and the kite hangs below.....

Is the nose above the keel tip, below the tip? And how much? 1 inch, 2 inches.

If the nose is too far above or too far below the keel tip, the kite isn't going to fly well.

RonG could probably tell you where a good starting point is. I usually suggest the nose be 1 or 2 inches above the keel to start with.

Good luck.

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
RonG
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2011, 02:56 AM »

Took the kite out today, and with a 8 mile wind. The best way to describe it is exactly that "no drive forward", has been that way since I bought it new. I will measure all the settings again and I appreciate all the input, let you know what I find.  Also mistaken this is a STX 2.1.

Donald

Look here:
http://bscv.free.fr/styx/bridage/Brid_anglais.htm

That's my translation of the bridle settings for the whole STX series (back in my Avia/CdC days, one of the things I did was help them translate the kite data sheets into English).  Look at the settings for the 2.1 and try to get your kite as close to that as possible.  The 2.3 was my kite of choice back then so I never spent a ton of time on the 2.1, but I do know that the stock bridle settings work just fine.  Either your bridle is badly out of spec, or something else is wrong with the kite.  But start with the bridle.
donaldrke

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2011, 06:55 PM »

I do Appreciate!!!  all of the help and all knots were on the white marks, pulled out the rod and marked all the setting per the sheet for the 2.1, and every one of them were off and was not consistent with being off. some had to be shorted and some had to be lengthen.  Hopefully that is all it needed. would not think being brand new it would be so off.   I do appreciate all the help and guidance, Thanks

Donald

Member of Got Wind?
Donald
donaldrke

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2011, 07:52 PM »

Went and flew it the on Friday and with 8-10 wind, Wow it was awesome. stalled on a dime, and even got a few axles out of it.  Again thanks for all your help, much appreciated.

Donald
Got wind Kite club

Member of Got Wind?
Donald
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document