GWTW Forum
July 27, 2014, 09:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TOTL Hawaiian Spinoff - Repair Questions  (Read 3958 times)
w8kbrder
Trade Count: (+5)

« on: March 31, 2011, 12:14 PM »

Hey folks,

Looking to replace one of the lower spreaders as well as all of the connectors. Any idea as to the specs of the Hawaiian Spinoff and what size/type tubing to use? Being that its such an old kite, I'm wondering if it would be better to replace all of the frame with up-to-date Carbon Fiber? Bring it up to speed with newer kite technology?

thanks!
Nick
« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 12:18 PM by w8kbrder » Logged

PRISM: Micron, Ion, Eclipse, Total Eclipse, Radian, Classic Illusion (vented), Fanatic, Ozone, 3-D, Vector, Stylus 1.8

TOTL: Hawaiian Spinoff
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2011, 02:18 PM »

I'd replace the fittings with modern APAs, but going to a stiffer carbon frame will change the flight characteristics quite a bit. If the current sticks are sound, I'd say upgrade the fittings and fly it a bunch. After you know what it's supposed to feel like, you can mess with a reframe.

Allen, AKA kitehead
mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2011, 02:42 PM »

Replacing the whole frame is up to you, you can definitely lighten the kite up by 4 ounces or more while increasing the stiffness, but it won't be a modern kite. The center T ends up being an issue, your current one would need to be shimmed or make a new one, the HQ connector I used is no longer available but FSD has something similar. You'll find the APA leading edge fittings work perfect with mordern framing. P200's or 5PT's for the leading edges and spreaders, you could use the same for the spine or go up to P300 or P400's since the spine isn't balanced by any sail below the spreader and could use a bit more stiffness.

You can also drill out APA-D leading edge connectors to fit your current frame (They might stretch enough). They sure come apart easier then the Vinyl did and would be a worthwhile upgrade whatever you decide to do with the frame.

If that is a standard your current spreaders are probably Glaspar J65 at .337" diameter or maybe K75's at .350" diameter. If it's an UL then I think they were E40 at .298" diameter. I would replace both of them since the new ones might be significantly different from those 30 year old ones. Gone with the Wind doesn't list them since they are not used much anymore but they had them in stock or can get them if you contact Steve.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
w8kbrder

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2011, 08:08 PM »

Right now my goal is just to be able to get it airborne. Right now mine is missing the left spreader....completely missing. I wasnt sure if I could still find the same material its made of. I just want it to fly. I will probably replace both spreaders. I just need to figure out where to find the materials

PRISM: Micron, Ion, Eclipse, Total Eclipse, Radian, Classic Illusion (vented), Fanatic, Ozone, 3-D, Vector, Stylus 1.8

Steve
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+39)

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2011, 08:18 PM »

I can get all the rods Mike mentioned and still may a few odd ones around.  Drop me an email.

Steve ... Ancient One
-look to the sky with imagination, grasp the wind with outstretched arms and take flight
kiteking
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2011, 08:59 PM »

Here are some stats for the spinoff, I retro fitted a sack of avengers, used tubing from Home Depot, I took a spreader in to check the fit

Hawaiian Spin-Off '95
WINGS   Materials   SPINE  Material   LWR SPRDR  Material   UPPER SPRDR  Material      STANDOFF Material

65.0   SKYSK 6.3     32.5  SKYSK 6.3      32.5      SKYSK 6.3      22.0       SKYSK 6.3       9.0       3/32 FGR

Hawaiian Spin-Off '96

65.0 . 240 GRPH     32.5 .240 GRPH        32.5     .240 GRPH        22.0     .240 GRPH        9.0        3/32 FGR

"Wind to your back, Kite in the sky."

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-11

#518  -    #110883 -

Smeagol
Trade Count: (+79)

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2011, 11:32 AM »

I had thought of doing something similar with my Spin-Off, just never got around to it.  I seem to recall someone reframing one with Rev spars, might check out the Rev forum for more info.

I had also considered upgrading the APAs & possibly framing on my Laser 9 stack (very similar to Spin-Off just smaller) until I realized I would need 36 APAs and a boatload of spars to retrofit the stack.  Kind of a major project, maybe one of these days.

-Mike
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 01:53 PM by Smeagol » Logged
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2011, 01:24 PM »

Yeah I guess I should've asked what it was framed in since some of the later models and the re-productions out of Oz used different spars. His picture is pre-whiskers though and I don't recall carbon spars being available then, our dealer carried nothing but the glass framed standards.

*Mike* I thought you had posted the spec's for the fiberglass frame once, look under the TOTL Hawaiian Team Chevron, the original Spinoff used the same frame minus the batten spars.

Surprised you're not needing to replace the elastic on the wingtips and center. Might give that a stretch  before you place an order.

« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 01:28 PM by mikenchico » Logged

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
kiteking

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2011, 04:48 AM »

*Mike* I thought you had posted the spec's for the fiberglass frame once, look under the TOTL Hawaiian Team Chevron, the original Spinoff used the same frame minus the batten spars.

Previous post here

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-11

#518  -    #110883 -

w8kbrder

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2011, 07:28 AM »

So I'm looking to order a lower spreader. Per the specs listed above, I need a 32.5 Skyshark 6.3 Tube. I measured my current lower spreader and it is 32.5 long, 8cm wide.

Hawaiian Spin-Off '95
WINGS   Materials   SPINE  Material   LWR SPRDR  Material   UPPER SPRDR  Material      STANDOFF Material

65.0   SKYSK 6.3     32.5  SKYSK 6.3      32.5      SKYSK 6.3      22.0       SKYSK 6.3       9.0       3/32 FGR

So is this tube still availabe?

Can anyone IM me with a direct link to where I can buy this lower spreader?

Also here is a pic of my current "rigged" connectors. Anyone have a link to some new replacements of something that would work instead of these cut up pieces of garden hose?

kiteking

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2011, 08:59 AM »

Contact Steve (our host) or click of the Skyburner link to the left and ask Jon

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-11

#518  -    #110883 -

w8kbrder

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2011, 09:44 AM »

Contact Steve (our host) or click of the Skyburner link to the left and ask Jon

Thanks,

I just emailed Jon at Skyburner.

Steve
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+39)

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2011, 10:27 AM »

Not sure what Sky Shark 6.3 is.  They look to be an old P series rod guessing maybe 5P's?  Unfortunately they are no longer made. P200 or P300 might be the way to go.
Those "rigged " connectors are original. You could try APA B's.  My only concern would be that the APA's are a little shorter than the original and might allow the spreaders to pop out during flight.

Steve ... Ancient One
-look to the sky with imagination, grasp the wind with outstretched arms and take flight
Smeagol
Trade Count: (+79)

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2011, 11:05 AM »

You could probably get similar vinyl hose @ a hardware store if you wanted both sides to match, I'm pretty sure I've seen it there before.

-Mike
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2011, 02:50 PM »

I'm still not seeing those as Skyshark Tubes.

I don't recall any pre-whisker (stand-off's) TOTL kites sold having carbon frames. Skyshark Tubes didn't even existed before 1993, and I believe all TOTL kites had stand-off's by 1990.

And as I recall the 3, 5 & 8P tubes were not sanded and had the ridged surface like the current PT series tubes, the tubes in your picture definitely do not have ridges.

Your leading edge spars are also significantly larger then the spreaders, on all the carbon versions, the leading edges and spreaders are the same diameter, only on the fiberglass versions were the spars different sizes.

It's hard to see by your photo's the actual diameter, a 5P Skyshark would've been approximately .303" OD or 7.7 mm and your picture shows over 8 mm as best as I can tell. The other carbon option, which was a smooth finish like yours, were the pultruded tubes at .240" OD which are only 6 mm OD.

The fiberglass J65 at .337" OD would be 8.5 mm, the leading edges were K75's at .350" OD or 8.9 mm. I could be wrong but that's what I'm seeing in your photo's.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document