GWTW Forum
October 25, 2014, 03:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TOTL Hawaiian Spinoff - Repair Questions  (Read 4318 times)
Steve
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+39)

« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2011, 03:05 PM »

You are right Mike.  Those definitely are not Sky Shark tubes.
If you are up for covering the postage to and from and the cost of replacements I'm sure I can get that kite back in flying condition.

Steve ... Ancient One
-look to the sky with imagination, grasp the wind with outstretched arms and take flight
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2011, 03:42 PM »

umm..yeah those are glaspar.....if they have a good amount of flex to them they are glaspars....tubular fiberglas..i would agree with Mike that they are the J65s.....
the step up was the prospar rods.....

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Magpiesfooty
Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2011, 06:34 PM »

Take it from an old schooler, I recommend going back to the original fiberglass tube spars. This is what the kite came factory with, and that is what it is designed for. Stay close to the diameter and the stiffness of the original stuff (which was not marked with a brand name). Keep the spreader holders, vinyl tubing like one that are pictured, the reinforced type that you have is available at the "orange" hardware store and are a good choice.  Be absolutely sure that the length of the spars are correct and equal on both sides. Use a good ferrule on the lower spreader (that goes into the "T" fitting, through and connects to the other lower spreader).  Replace the shock, (bungee cord) on the ends of the leading edges if you like to keep that "Fresh" feel.  Keep it tight but not overly so. Fly on lines that are at least 110'. (if you fly with Kevlar, make sure you separate yourself from the rest of the flyers... your line is lethal ! Spectra is better but has it's drawbacks.) You will get pulled a little, the kite will make some noise and you will have a blast!  Keep it simple and keep it original as you can. This kite was not designed for all of the fancy things and new technology that most of the modern kites now have, and that is a good thing.  You will be glad that you did.  Good luck and enjoy!
Magpiesfooty
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2011, 08:22 PM »

Use a good ferrule on the lower spreader (that goes into the "T" fitting, through and connects to the other lower spreader).

If you have the type of "T" fitting with the metal female ferrule, be sure to use arrow tip,  inserts to help keep the spreaders from splitting and breaking.

Happy Flying!
w8kbrder
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2011, 09:12 AM »

So I got the spinoff back into flying condition.

Anyone have any pictures of the later versions that came with standoffs?

How difficult would it be to add standoffs?

PRISM: Micron, Ion, Eclipse, Total Eclipse, Radian, Classic Illusion (vented), Fanatic, Ozone, 3-D, Vector, Stylus 1.8

TOTL: Hawaiian Spinoff
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2011, 03:32 PM »

You just need some of the 3.8 oz Dacron fabric or leading edge material, a sewing machine, a soldering iron (to cut Darcron and melt holes) and a few notions. Simple job. My Spinoff is actually pre-stand-off too, I added them but only guessed at the position and length, IMO I did darn good though, edge handling on that kite is the best I've experienced to date, but my position is old school WIDE. I'd bet somebody has the stock measurements or a better spot for a bit more modern feel.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Magpiesfooty
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2011, 03:33 PM »

Why would you add stand offs if the kite was not designed for them?  No real advantage would be gained if added. It will fly better without them.  If you are trying to modify the kite to make it do something that it was not designed to do... Maybe the Spinoff was not the kite you really wanted.  It was a great kite for its day.

Have fun!!
Smeagol
Trade Count: (+82)

« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2011, 04:34 PM »

I have one w/standoffs (whiskers), I can get pics of it later tonight if you'd like.

-Mike

w8kbrder
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2011, 08:39 PM »

I have one w/standoffs (whiskers), I can get pics of it later tonight if you'd like.

-Mike

that would be great! thanks mike!

PRISM: Micron, Ion, Eclipse, Total Eclipse, Radian, Classic Illusion (vented), Fanatic, Ozone, 3-D, Vector, Stylus 1.8

TOTL: Hawaiian Spinoff
tekarra

« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2011, 12:38 PM »

w8kbrder,

I have an identical Spin Off.  At one time I thought of adding whiskers, but after seeing some whiskered Spin Offs fly, I did not think it was worth the effort.  If you go ahead, let us know how it compares to previous.
Smeagol
Trade Count: (+82)

« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2011, 03:10 PM »

Not sure if you saw this thread already, but I had posted some pics in this thread of mine (when it was still mine  Wink):

http://www.gwtwforum.com/index.php?topic=5514.msg49770#msg49770

-Mike
coop
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2011, 08:24 AM »

I have several spinoff's, two with whiskers and two with out. I added whiskers to one of the two that have them. The big difference is at the edge and launching. Also, they quiet the kite down a little bit.

I will probably add whiskers to the other two, but mostly to aid in launching. I can take a pic of how I added them and post it.

@smeagol-Loving my new spinoff!
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2011, 09:14 AM »

just heard that a shop on cape cod might have a brandy new spinoff for sale...................

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
coop
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2011, 09:34 AM »

Theif, ill take it if they have one!

Tappin on my EVO
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change