GWTW Forum
November 22, 2014, 01:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Book Recommendation?  (Read 1758 times)
PortSmith
Trade Count: (0)

« on: April 02, 2011, 10:26 PM »

I've never made a kite.  As I look around the net looking for kite-making information, all of it seems to be ugly garbage-bag kites (which, honestly, I should probably make first before getting more ambitious), or way over my head. 

I guess you get what you pay for, eh?

So, do you have any recommendations for a book on kite making to help me make some kites that I'll be proud of?
Untitled

« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2011, 10:48 PM »

This site has all the info for a dual line http://www.tweelijners.com/tom/tomskitesite-en/Home.html

sugarbaker
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2011, 10:52 PM »

Check out Stunt Kites to Make and Fly and the sequel Stunt Kites II (Servaas van der Horst Nop Velthuizen).  These are old, and I don't know where you can get them now, but they have some good information about construction and include some basic kite designs for sport kites, foils and 1 or 2 quad line kites.

For better step by step instructions for building a sport kite, check out http://www.tweelijners.com/tom/tomskitesite-en/Home.html as posted in the previous response to your thread.  I like this site and you'll be proud of the end product.  LeQuartz is a good kite (subject of previously listed website) and utilizes a less expensive frame than many plans call for.  

There are more resources online for kite making than I have found in print, so keep searching the forum and utilizing google and you'll find enough to go further than you probably want to!

What kind of kite would you like to have?  Make sure you build something you want to add to your collection, or you will be less satisfied with the end product.  I think you can skip the garbage-bag kites and move straight to something you'll appreciate for a long time.
fidelio
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2011, 11:01 PM »

these sites will also give you something to look at.

http://members.cox.net/maggiekite/sew/sew101.html
http://www.ian.ourshack.org
http://www.kiteplans.org
http://www.kitebuilder.com (mods: please edit if need be, wasn't sure if this one is permitted.)

Fdeli
indigo_wolf
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2011, 11:25 PM »

It would be a shame to leave The Orange off the list.  Sad

Options are available for using Exel or APA fittings, pultruded carbon or SkyShark rods.

ATB,
Sam
Hadge

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2011, 02:02 AM »

Check out Stunt Kites to Make and Fly and the sequel Stunt Kites II (Servaas van der Horst Nop Velthuizen).  These are old, and I don't know where you can get them now, but they have some good information about construction and include some basic kite designs for sport kites, foils and 1 or 2 quad line kites.

These come up on EBay quite often (at least they do here in the UK)

Try this site http://www.kiteplans.org/

Age and cunning will always overcome youth and skill!

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
stapp59
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2011, 03:45 AM »

Ian has already listed some kite building sites as sticky topics at the top this section:

http://www.gwtwforum.com/index.php?topic=105.0

http://www.gwtwforum.com/index.php?topic=104.0
« Last Edit: April 03, 2011, 03:47 AM by stapp59 » Logged
PortSmith

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2011, 08:11 AM »

Thanks.  I'll read through those pages and learn what I can.

Right now, I'm more interested in making beautiful and fun single-line kites to fly with my children than I am a sport kite.   I apologize for not being more specific in the OP.

But, it looks like there's a lot to be learned for any type of kite making in the links you sent me.  I'll learn what I can, and go from there.
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2011, 09:33 AM »

I wondered and held off since everybody was directing you to Sport Kites.

OK then

"Kiteworks" by Maxwell Eden
"The Magnificent Book of Kites" by Maxwell Eden
"Kites" by Ron Moulton & Pat Lloyd
"Kite Craft" by Lee Scott Newman & Jay Hartley (Newman)
"The Kite Making Handbook" by Barnes and Noble (a compilation made for themselves)

And of course the "Bible" of kitemaking

"The Penguin Book of Kites" by David Pelham - but reprints are by Overlook and just called "Kites"

There's a nice grouping of 7 books on that auction site that I've been ready to buy but have a few of them already $30 with free shipping can't be beat and would be a great start for a library.

As everybody has said "The Kite Plan Base" and "The Kitebuilder.com Forum" are the best available resources right now, the books are dated. But always a source of inspiration, really don't even ignore those trashbag kite books, there's some interesting ideas in some that you can scale up and using better materials.

Good luck and let us know what you're doing, we like pictures of user built kites and all of us are not strictly Sport Kite fliers.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Grant L
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2011, 09:46 AM »

Regarding the kitebuilder.com forum, I always suggest to new builders that they read through the "On-Line Kite Building Projects and Plans," section. Seven different kites built step by step and almost any question you could possibly have has probably already been asked and answered there. Takes a lot of the hesitation out of jumping into kite building.  Smiley
Kareloh

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2011, 01:57 PM »

Also check out Better Kites by Marten Bondestam.
PortSmith

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2011, 03:35 PM »

Regarding the kitebuilder.com forum, I always suggest to new builders that they read through the "On-Line Kite Building Projects and Plans," section. Seven different kites built step by step and almost any question you could possibly have has probably already been asked and answered there. Takes a lot of the hesitation out of jumping into kite building.  Smiley
I went to kitebuilder.com, and am not sure which section you're talking.  Could you provide me with a link to exactly the section you're talking about?
Grant L

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2011, 07:26 PM »

I went to kitebuilder.com, and am not sure which section you're talking.  Could you provide me with a link to exactly the section you're talking about?

http://www.kitebuilder.com/forums/index.php?c=8

Grin
inewham
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2011, 05:10 AM »

It would be a shame to leave The Orange off the list.  Sad

+1

Did anyone mirror Stan Kellar's site before he gave it up? That had some good info about building.

PortSmith

« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2011, 07:48 AM »

Oh my, yes!  Thank you very much -- that's exactly the sort of thing I'm looking for!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum