GWTW Forum
April 24, 2014, 09:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How to get started doing appliques?  (Read 1477 times)
tommymcmillan
Trade Count: (+14)

« on: April 03, 2011, 03:39 AM »

I would like to build a Rokk w/an applique something simple. So i'm looking to learn how to do appliques. Is thier any website/book/ect.that I can learn from?
Thank you,
stapp59
Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2011, 03:49 AM »

Second link down...

http://www.gwtwforum.com/index.php?topic=105.0
Grant L
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2011, 04:28 AM »

A great article on reverse applique ,( sewing several layers of material and cutting away what you don't want.) I especially like the photos and explanation on how to sew zig-zag stitch around curves and corners.  Grin

http://004dcee.netsolhost.com/tips/applique.htm
Untitled

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2011, 02:25 PM »

Been wondering about this myself.  Decided to give it a try today.  Didn't come out too good.

thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2011, 03:16 PM »

Been wondering about this myself.  Decided to give it a try today.  Didn't come out too good.

That didn't come out good? how so???that looks pretty good to me.......

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
tommymcmillan

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2011, 08:39 PM »

He's right at least you've got the basic principles figured out Cool. I'm still trying to understand how/what to cut. Cry
Untitled

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2011, 09:11 PM »

It is kind of like paint by numbers.  Once you know what color you want where, just have to remember how many layers down it is and cut out 1 less.  After doing that I can see why appliqued kite cost more,  not only an increase in material cost but time.

inewham
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2011, 05:04 AM »

Like Steve said:

http://kaiskitesite.synthasite.com/applique-workshop.php

That's where I learned from.
My tip is invest in some really sharp stich ripper and good, really sharp scissors, the kind you can just push through the ripstop. That way you can avoid the jagged edges from opening and closing the scissors.

Be warned its quite addictive but you have to be careful not to wind up in the FA bad applique gallery Cheesy Tongue

tommymcmillan

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2011, 01:10 PM »

On my first 8ft. Rok I decided togo with the Japanese kanji for wind, :)since my wife is Japanese I hope she can help with the writting and cutting out the stencil for this kite build. Wink I just need to figure out how large it should be. Undecided
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2011, 10:45 PM »

I would guess about 50" - 52" tall, that'll fit between the cross spars on the Engvall plan

[attachments older than 90 days deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 10:47 PM by mikenchico » Logged

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
tommymcmillan

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2011, 08:08 PM »

WOW! Thank you for the help. Now I can get started on ordering the parts for this build. Once again thank you and all who helped me.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography