GWTW Forum
October 01, 2014, 01:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: backup  (Read 2087 times)
ko
Trade Count: (+9)

« on: March 11, 2011, 10:11 AM »

hi all i figure since i am waiting for the beach to open in huntington this would be a good time to ask.i finally got a toshiba 1TB ext hardrive(59 at office depot) .anyway i have heard that creating an image is the way to go 4 backup as well as the usual. i guess my question is should i use windows 7 program for this ? i dont have a lot to lose, but would prefer nt to have to reload all of the programs i have
thanx KO
« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 10:13 AM by ko » Logged

have fun kurt
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2011, 10:21 AM »

Acronis is the brand I've used a lot at work, but I don't know their consumer products.

Allen, AKA kitehead
ko

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2011, 10:40 AM »

hi allen i just looked them up .way over my head. i am just wanting to protect my mapping systems and the usual home stuff .dont get me wrong though i want to do it right whats happening down south?? are you hanging in the parking lot? if so say hi  and hope to see you soon

have fun kurt
Bob D
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2011, 04:34 AM »

I just a copy of the latest version of Acronis True Image. I had gotten TI 8.0 years ago and it was great to use to clone the hard drive. The newest version is even better. I can't say enough about it!

Bob D.
RobB

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2011, 06:39 AM »

There is no such thing as a full disaster recovery solution... there's always something that needs to be reloaded. Just worry about your personal data, and load the programs if you ever have a full disaster...
~Rob.

mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2011, 07:07 AM »

I can't personally vouch for it but I was just reading about Macrium Reflect, they have a free version of their imaging program out that got some pretty good reviews. Doesn't do incremental backups and such, for that you'll have to pay.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
ko

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2011, 08:16 AM »

i ended up using the program that came with the toshiba external hardrive for cloning. i am using the windows 7 backup tool for weekly additions i hope this is adequate? . i have most of my music and pics on an mp3 player also sooooooo i guess i am prepared? thank you for your help all ,i am learning  ko oh yeh! is there a way to lock the clone files so that i can use the hardrive for other things? i guess what i am worried about is if i am attacked will it contaminate my backup also?? sorry if i dont use the proper terms as i am self taught and the language is foreign to me  Smiley

have fun kurt
Bob D
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2011, 04:51 AM »

I do random back ups and disconnect the drive when I'm done. I've also cloned the drive with Acronis True Image so that I can do a restore if there's ever something disastrous. (I did have a problem with the boot loader DLL that I had to restore when the hard drive wouldn't load.)

Bob D.
mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2011, 08:46 AM »

The feature I found impressive on the free Macrium was the included ability to build a PE (preinstall environment, a bootable minimum version of Windows with the Macrium software) so you actually have a way to restore your image in case of a complete drive failure. Most of the free imaging software don't include this, some can make a Linux disk if you're comfortable with that.

Keeping your image and backup drive unplugged and even off site is the safest bet. Data can go to an online backup service now, which is convenient since you cann then access it at any time from any computer and use the service to keep all your computers synched if you use more then one.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
ko

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2011, 09:01 AM »

thanx guys it looks like if i dont go with acronis (as it is simple and inexpensive) for cloning, MR. MURPHY will probably rear his ugly head. thanx for the tip on shutting down the backup also. i dont have much but what i do have i would like to protect. the cloning just seems to be the way to go. last time my old computer crashed, the tech replaced the H.D. and i figured i would be starting over with the recovery disks but low and behold i fired it up and MAGIC (to me) everything was as it was thanx again and regard KO

have fun kurt
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document