GWTW Forum
April 19, 2014, 12:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What do you use your smartphone for?  (Read 1237 times)
Stardragon
Trade Count: (+14)

« on: April 03, 2011, 01:16 PM »

So I finally broke down and got the family cellphones.  Chose AT&T over T-Mobile mainly because of the unlimited mobile to mobile on any network that came with the unlimited messaging.  Everyone else got messaging phones but I had to pick up the HTC Inspire with the 8mp camera.  So, now a few questions:

What do you use your smartphone for?
Is the insurance for an extra $5/phone/month worth the price?
For those of you who use AT&T, how satisfied are you with their service?

Thank you
Ron
onlye
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2011, 02:27 PM »

Been with ATT for years.  Service is ok, customer service sucks.  Long as you don't have an account issue all is just fine.

Had a Blackberry for a year got a hand-me-down iPhone at Christmas when my wife got a new one.  I use it mainly for phone calls, second use it text messages-when I have to, third play angry birds.  Don't have a large data plan so my internet connection is based on wi-fi connection.   It is convenient to check email and I did the the app to make the forum here more usable on a smart phone. 
« Last Edit: April 03, 2011, 06:24 PM by onlye » Logged

eric
forum member since 04/21/2001
and still can't fly like those darn videos
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2011, 02:28 PM »

Well, my phone would cost like $500 to replace, so damage insurance keeps me from worrying about it and just use the damn thing.

I have no idea what an HTC Inspire is, but I use my iPhone for the following in order of overall screen time:

Email (2 work and 4 personal accounts)
Web (this forum & Facebook are top)
Photos & Video (taking & viewing)
iPod (music & podcasts)
Phone calls
Text messages
Various useful and fun Apps (top of the heap no particular order: Navigation/Maps, Calvetica, Weatherbug, IMDB, Netflix, alarm clock, bank, flashlight, etc.)

By service do you mean, like customer service or coverage quality? I've had all the major providers over the years and they all go through up and down periods of customer service and they all hve wek spots of coverage. In the 14 years I've lived on this street, ATT has had the best signal compared to Sprint, Cingular, verizon and Tmobile. Its the only cell service I've ever had that makes me feel comfortable dumping my land line. YMMV
« Last Edit: April 03, 2011, 02:31 PM by Allen Carter » Logged

Allen, AKA kitehead
cgregurich73
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2011, 03:03 PM »

I have sprint and i use my smart phone for everything:
web
photos
email
phone
games
and chatting on gwtw forum

My wife can't tell me to go fly a kite when shes mad at me now.

Whats in the bag?
 Hq baby tana 2002
 Revolution 1.5
tcope
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2011, 09:36 PM »

So I finally broke down and got the family cellphones.  Chose AT&T over T-Mobile mainly because of the unlimited mobile to mobile on any network that came with the unlimited messaging. 
I've had TM for about 6 years now. Looks like I will be moved to the "crappiest network" in another year or so.

I made the mistake of not getting insurance on my last Android phone. This time I went through Square Trade as it was cheaper (difference is that SQ does not cover theft... but they do cover water damage). They almost always offer 20%-30% off. I'd highly recommend it as it's difficult to replace a $500 phone.

Can't really narrow down how I use the phone as its all based on apps... and there are a _ton_ of apps. I control my thermostat with it, I read forums with it (TapaTalk), I read my email (K9), Monitor my cars systems with bluetooth OBDII and Torque, Google Calender (a must), my alarm clock (don't use anything else now), Google Chrome to Phone (handy), Pandora, etc. Oh, every once in while I'll use it as a phone.

I also _love_ Tasker. Turns down my ringer when I'm 300 yards from work, launches a menu of Pandora and MP3 player when the 3.5mm jack is plugged in, turns off cell/data/Wifi when it does not have a cell signal for 20 seconds, etc.

Todd Copeland
Member of T.I.S.K.K
Memeber of Utah Kite Fliers
http://www.utahkitefliers.org
mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2011, 09:48 PM »

I have a 'Droid and use it constantly

Number one use is news, the News & Weather App for headlines then wherever the links take me. When I've exhausted that I go into the World Newspapers app, 2300+ newspapers and counting, along with most popular magazines & blogs all in one place.

I check this forum a couple times a day.

Alarm Clock - I have a few daily alarms set to keep me on schedule.

Research - any question I have I click the microphone icon and ask the phone, and there's the answer. Also I have apps for conversion of any unit to any other unit (1500 in 16 categories) & currency.

Communication - 2-4 phone calls a day and a text or two a week. I don't do much email so only one account is set up on it, but I get immediate notification (i'm talking seconds) of new mail if I'm expecting something.

Directions and navigation

I use the screen as a flashlight to find my way to bed without waking Rhonda up and with the dual LED flash and flashlight app I can light up anything like daylight.

Gameplay - I have Jewels on the phone for when I run out of other things to do with it.

We are with Verizon, Customer Service has been very good.

We have Insuance on the kids phone since she's had a history, I don't think we have it on ours though. Hows your record for losing, squashing, dropping or swimming with your phone?

oh and I show off pic's of the grandkids

« Last Edit: April 03, 2011, 09:57 PM by mikenchico » Logged

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
JimB
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2011, 09:52 PM »

A paper weight. Wink
Stardragon
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2011, 10:43 PM »

A paper weight. Wink

There's an app for that?? Huh Roll Eyes  Undecided
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Cal Custom
kitekids.net

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography