GWTW Forum
July 31, 2014, 12:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 8ft. rok plans  (Read 1354 times)
tommymcmillan
Trade Count: (+14)

« on: April 03, 2011, 08:55 PM »

I want to build the 8ft. rok by Mr. Gary Engval. The plans are located at:http://www.kiteplans.org/planos/rokkaku11/rokkaku11.htm . What I would like to know is how do you get the correct angle for the top and bottom of the kite? How many spars will I need the plan calls for:FL-505(for the spine,and from top to bottom of the kite is 96-inches long),and FL-414 for the spreaders(left to right the kite is 80 inches wide).
mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2011, 07:46 AM »

You'll need 4 x .414's for the spreaders they are 54" long, you need to ferrel them in the center so cut them both to 40", it's a waste of materials but if you don't keep the kite balanced it turns into a propeller. You'll also need 2 x .505 for the spine, again they are 54", for the spine you can use one full length and cut one.

The angles are a function of the the spreader placement along the spine and the width, you could do the math but why? Mark your spreader length top to bottom then measure the placement of the spreaders along that line and extend out at a 90 degree angle to the width, then draw your angle from those points.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
ezme6
Trade Count: (+17)

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2011, 09:22 AM »

I have a few 8ft and a few 3m Rocs. I ALWAYS split the spreaders and spine into 3 pieces, it breaks down smaller.
  I make the center part of the spreader the same size as the 3 piece spine, makes a longer piece in the middle for the bow and short pieces on the end. Works real well.

"Do what you like"
tommymcmillan
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2011, 01:20 PM »

On a few plans that I looked at the builder used bungie cord and nocks to connect the frame to the kite. And I want to use the same style,how would I go about creating the bowing effect  in the spreaders of the kite,and what material is used to tie the sail to the kite to the frame(I was going to use strips of dacron)?
mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2011, 03:46 PM »

I personally make pockets for the spars at the nose & wingtips then use the same method as used on duals for the tail and tensioning.

There are a couple small dacron patches on the sail to center the spine down the length. The cross spars get held by the bridle lines that go through the sail, another couple dacron bits at those points for the bridle lines to go through then around the spreaders. You can put some ties on the sail at the intersections of the cross spars and spine and tie them, but it isn't really neccesary.

For bowing the kite the nicest method I've seen is the bowline tied directly to the spar, I can't remeber the knot but something like a double larkshead, then you bow the spar and slide that knot up to hold the bow. If you go with nocks and bungies then just hook the bowline over the nock before the bungie and use one of the tensioners or a 4 hole button works.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
MB
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2011, 09:05 PM »

Roc corner pocket by MBsShots, on Flickr

Click on the photo or link for a description of what you see and info on the method to tension the bow.

Matt
MB
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2011, 09:39 PM »

I forgot that I have some better shots of the details.  These are all made of dacron.

Spreader pocket by MBsShots, on Flickr
I use these for the spreader pockets and the top of the spine.

Spreader & Spine Patch by MBsShots, on Flickr
Make sure you sew this on in the direction you intend to (or at least the same top and bottom).

Spine tensioner closure by MBsShots, on Flickr
This one at the bottom of the kite also has a velcro tunnel sewn over the dacron for the spine to pass through and velcro under the flap to lock it down.  A 3/4" long piece of fuel line tubing (from the hardware store), drilled on the side to place on the end of the spine making a T, works great to keep it from punching through.  The rest of the spars are capped with vinyl end caps.

Matt
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document