GWTW Forum
October 24, 2014, 08:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Online (was:Wave) Accounting?  (Read 1637 times)
kenmcneill
Trade Count: (0)
« on: April 04, 2011, 07:27 PM »

Anybody familiar with Wave Accounting?  I'm way past due on updating my prehistoric copy of Quickbooks and looking at alternatives.  The price is right (free), and the few reviews I've found look good. 

It's all online, so I'd be entering banking info etc., on a remote server.  Am I being overly paranoid?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 09:21 AM by kenmcneill » Logged
indigo_wolf
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2011, 08:10 PM »

Haven't heard of them before, but I have to ask.... if the service is free, how exactly does their business model work?  Paranoia is never excessive.   The yearly death toll of bunnies due to low flying black helicopters is truly frightening.

An alternative for you might be Quickbooks Online.  The basic plan is $12.95 per month (first month free).  All of it is done online, so you never have to worry about upgrades.  Transferring any existing records would be painless because it would still all be Quickbooks data.

ATB,
Sam
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2011, 10:07 PM »

... I'd be entering banking info etc., on a remote server.  Am I being overly paranoid?
Ken

Not IMO, I looked at Quickbooks and M$ Money and just entering my banking info into a program on my own computer stopped me from using either of them. I only keep the last 4 digits of any banking accounts, or ID's on my computer. There are certainly conveniences to cloud computing, but I'm not sold on it yet. I know encryption makes the transmittal of such info over the web pretty secure, but somebody else storing and having access to such information and putting my faith in an unknown security dept. doesn't sit well with me yet.

Especially when my own bank threatens to block my access to my accounts because my Windows XP Pro is not secure enough. BUT their whole bank runs off of Windows XP Pro!!! This is the largest bank in the world and it's running on an operating system they themselves consider unsecure and a risk.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
kenmcneill
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2011, 03:35 PM »

Mike & Sam - thanks for your thoughts.  I'll probably wind up buying a new copy of Quickbooks.

I may go ahead and register an account with a couple of the online services just to poke around and try them out, without sharing too much sensitive info.

Watch out for those black helicopters.  Wink
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2011, 05:22 PM »

Aluminum foil lined Tilley firmly in place   Wink

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change