GWTW Forum
October 25, 2014, 09:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kite tricks  (Read 3001 times)
Gargle_blaster
Trade Count: (0)

« on: April 05, 2011, 08:52 AM »

Hey guys! I happen to stumble upon this very informative forum and glad I did! I have some questions, hopefully you all can share your expertise with me!

I'm not new to flying kites, however I am new to flying the delta stunt kites. For the past year I've been flying a 2.4 parafoil, which I've had a blast with. Recently I saw some awesome videos here on this website and so it has sparked my interest! I went ahead and bought a 2 line Cherry Bomber, it seemed like a sound choice for a novice after reading the forum for a bit.

Here are my questions:

1) Where can I find a good source to learn some tricks with my newly purchased Cherry Bomber? (I am more than willing to pay for a dvd)
2) I've seen a couple people post about having different weighted lines depending on wind speed, what do you recommend? Mine came with an 80lb line.
3) Do I need to make any adjustments to the kite I bought in order to perform special tricks?

Thanks in advanced!
Hadge

« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2011, 09:17 AM »

Welcome to the forum and the world of trick flying.  Your Cherry Bomb should be fine to get you started but be warned kite flying is highly addictive and if you get hooked you'll soon be buying more, better kites!!

1) Ok, I like the Dodd Gross 'Flight School' DVD as it takes you from absolute basics right through to more advanced tricks it's one I used a lot when learning. You can also look on Youtube and serch for 'mama74' - Martin Madsen who has done some great tutorials for more advanced tricks also Randy Greenway http://randygreenway.wordpress.com/ does some great tutorials.

There is a free to download book http://www.seek2know.org.uk/kites/PJKites/Kites%20notes.pdf which will probably answer a lot of your questions. I'm sure some of the others will be along soon with more suggestions.

2) An 80lb line should be fine to start with given the wind range of the Cherry Bomb. As you get other kites you may need heavier and light lines but learn the basics first.

3) Practise, practise and then go out and practise some more! Trick flying isn't easy but will come with practise.  If there are other fliers in your area try and fly with them. Kite fliers are a friendly bunch and it's much much easier to learn from other experienced fliers than from DVD's.  Once you feel you are good enough to buy a better kite, buy the best you can afford. There is really no point in buying several kites each sightly better than the other, a good quality kite makes flying much easier and you will enjoy it more. It might also be a good idea to upgrade the Cherry Bombs dacron line with some Spectra/Dyneema line to reduce stretch.

4) Remember it's fun!  Wink 

« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 10:12 AM by Hadge » Logged

Age and cunning will always overcome youth and skill!

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
Allen Carter
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2011, 10:11 AM »

Welcome to our weird little world!

With ith tht screen name, I can tell you'll fit in just fine.  Cheesy

Hadge's is advice is good (as usual). I'd second the point that live is better than video. An afternoon with some real flyers is better than a month with a video. Even if you're just watching and chatting. If you can actually get up the nerve to ask someone to teach you some things, you'll have a great time and advance much more quickly. It is rare to find a sport kite person who doesn't like to talk about flying and you don't need an expert to teach you good stuff. Anyone with even a bit more experience has tips to pass on.

The Cherry Bomb is a good little kite. Beware of the kite fanatics that will immediately tell you you need something else that can do all the latest tricks right away. They mean well, but they LOVE kites and kite lust often gets in the way of common sense.

Resist the temptation to try a long list of tricks. Flying technique comes first, then a few basic building block slack line tricks. I'd say most people who can fly a couple of times a week could spend several months with a starter kite before moving up. Problem is, they get on a site like this, which is often all about hardware and lists of tricks and spend more time worrying about and buying kites than flying them. Fly your kite until you understand why you need another, not just because someone says so.

You WILL want more kites, and as Hadge says, buying quality stuff is money well spent. We;; made kites are in the $200-$300 range. one or two good kites will take you through your first year+ of kiting. Depending on where you fly, most people do fine with a pair. Either a light wind and a standard or a high wind and a standard.

Have Fun!

Allen, AKA kitehead
lylenc
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2011, 11:26 AM »

Most beginners want to learn how to fly a stunt kite. With tricks, you need to learn how to make the kite not-fly but remain under control for the tricks. They also want to start with the sexy tricks. A snap stall and a stable side slide are very fun, satisfying, and require attainment of valuable control skills. They are harder to do well than they appear. They seem to be among the better crowd pleasers, too.

Learning how to stall from various entry point orientations and to perform stable side slides across the window make learning other tricks much easier. You learn how to control the kite with finesse using hand, wrist, arm, body, and foot inputs. For example you may only need a little slack by moving a hand or wrist (a few inches), you may need a lot of slack by swinging your arms from behind your back to outstreched in front of your body and lunging forward with one foot (about six feet), or running (a lot and too much work for this old fart).

Fly diagonally down from top center of the window to just above the ground at one edge of the window and spin the nose around past the ground until the nose is vertical. Let the momentum initiate the side slide. Maintain the slide by keeping the inside hand (direction of slide hand) closer to you than the outside hand and tweak the difference in hand position to maintain balance.

This trick also teaches the footwork required to maintain the proper amount of slack/tension for a level slide across the window. The faster the wind, the more you'll have to move forward. In lower winds you may have to move backward to maintain a level slide. The pace of your footwork will vary as the kite slides from one edge to the center of the window and on to the other edge, since the wind will be the strongest at the center of the window. Throw in a few wind shifts and gusts to enhance your skills even further.

Craig     Walla Walla, WA     Just One More!
Gargle_blaster

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2011, 12:49 PM »

Thank you all for the warm welcome!

After looking into all the information you (all) have provided, my brain does feel as though
it's been smashed by a slice of lemon wrapped round a large gold brick!   Cry

Thanks for the information though! The wind here in Austin, TX has been pretty fantastic lately, hoping to try out my kite within the next few days!

« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 12:51 PM by Gargle_blaster » Logged
Gargle_blaster

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2011, 12:52 PM »

There is a free to download book http://www.seek2know.org.uk/kites/PJKites/Kites%20notes.pdf which will probably answer a lot of your questions. I'm sure some of the others will be along soon with more suggestions.

This was an absolute gem! Thanks!
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2011, 03:39 PM »

A little dated but Pete Peters listing of Tricks with instructions is still available, some of the names have changed or the tricks have evolved.

Home - http://www.idemployee.id.tue.nl/p.j.f.peters/kites/

Direct to Tricks - http://www.idemployee.id.tue.nl/p.j.f.peters/kites/basics/flying.split.html

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
WRDO Wolf

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2011, 09:17 PM »

Do a search on the internet for kite clubs in your local area, if you're not a member of one yet.  I'm sure there will be one person in the club who will be willing to teach you a few things.  I joined a local club in NC and my first club-fly one of the guys had me doing back-flips and lazysuzanns  for my first tricks. You can read all you want and watch videos, but nothing beats having a coach the watch you and give you hints on fixing the little things like timing.

Fair winds and following breeze.
Gargle_blaster

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2011, 12:58 PM »

Do a search on the internet for kite clubs in your local area, if you're not a member of one yet.  I'm sure there will be one person in the club who will be willing to teach you a few things.  I joined a local club in NC and my first club-fly one of the guys had me doing back-flips and lazysuzanns  for my first tricks. You can read all you want and watch videos, but nothing beats having a coach the watch you and give you hints on fixing the little things like timing.

I actually found out that there are no kite clubs here! Austin is a bigger kite boarding city. I even asked Austin's World Wind Kites, they told me I would have to drive to Dallas.
WRDO Wolf

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2011, 04:06 PM »

Ewww not sure how far of a drive that is, but I'm sure its not a fun one.  I guess your best bet then is to get the videos and watch them and teach your self until you can get to a Kite Fest in the area and see if some one will help you with the stuff you are still having problems with.

Footnote:  Just a crazy idea, but put a add in the local paper saying you are interested in finding other stunt-kite fliers.  You may be able to start a local club yourself

Fair winds and following breeze.
spence602
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2011, 05:16 AM »

Gargle - if you're ever in the Houston area, look on the SHARK website and join us.

eMail or PM me - I believe have a spare DVD copy of Flight School I'll send to you.

Spence
rncembal
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2011, 08:04 AM »

Hi . The next event was in Dallas butthe central Texas cloud chasers meet the Third sunday of the Month at Old settlers park in round rock about 12.
Cloud_Chasers@yahoogroups.com

Remember before buying on Amazon use this link to help Steve!
http://tinyurl.com/kkid20
Gerrie7407

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2011, 01:17 PM »

@ Hadge : the you tube search for Mama74 has helped me alot, to understand what is possible, I followed all the coments, thanx, can't wait for the wind to come up, its starting of winter in South Africa and in August the Big winds arrive, can't wait!!
Imafloater
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2011, 02:11 PM »

Welcome to what may or may not be a 'class M planet' but is definately populated by some friendly aliens who are on the side of the conferderation.  Cherry Bomb was a lucky choice as  a first stunt kite - good little flyer.  All of the advise here for learning tricks is great.  I have been flying for more years than I want to admit and refuse to count how many kites I have.  I found kite flyers in Orlando totally by happy accident.  I kept track of likely looking fields and drove by one on a Saturday, said "Hi, I have a kite."  The rest is a tragic history you can probabaly figure out.  The classified add is a good idea though probabaly before this thread gets too much longer you will find a flyer in your area.  Welcome and remeber "it don't mean a thing if it don't have a string".
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change