GWTW Forum
September 30, 2014, 05:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: first "trick"  (Read 1607 times)
johnsown48
Trade Count: (0)

« on: April 28, 2011, 08:59 AM »

learned my first "trick " yesterday, the cartwheel launch. Don't ask how I was able to practice it so much. Smiley
Allen Carter
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2011, 09:24 AM »

Excellent! You will now have more time in the air. Have Fun

Allen, AKA kitehead
fidelio
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2011, 02:18 PM »

i like that trick so much, when i'm at the park i do it about every 90 seconds.  Cheesy

it's an essential skill, congratulations!

Fdeli
ko
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2011, 05:35 PM »

congrats!! that is a major break thru there is a really big downside though-------you are HOOKED LOL have fun KO

have fun kurt
Allen Carter

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2011, 06:05 PM »

Just know that you WILL break LLEs doing cartwheels. You'll get excited and force it, or the tip will get stuck in the rough. Price you pay.  Smiley

After 12 years, it happened to me recently. I broke an old 5P doing a cartwheel in sand. Tough stick. Stupid pilot.

Allen, AKA kitehead
WinterDaze
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2011, 06:21 PM »

It might just be that I haven't perfected it yet, but I do find it's one of my most practiced tricks Smiley

Next on the list? I'm also working a lot on the 'Pop Up Launch' (belly down, nose away start) pop to fade, and roll out to flying position. elegant way to sky your bird.

WD

WinterDaze AoF
johnsown48

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2011, 06:42 PM »

I was flying an hq tango yesterday. Thats a hard kite to break. Today I flew an hq emotion for the first time. totally different beast,  ( but i could still cartwheel) Smiley
Bob D
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2011, 04:11 AM »

I learned to cartwheel with a Prism Flashlight. I must have broken at least 4 leading edges.

Bob D.
skyguy48
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2011, 05:56 AM »

I like that one too, but it wasn't the first trick I learned.
The first one was convincing my wife I needed an $80 kite.
Of course the more I practiced, the better I got.  Cheesy

Just Fly It!
johnsown48

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2011, 06:08 PM »

i may have spoken too soon.
It would be more accurate to say that I've learned to cartwheel sometimes, with some kites , in some winds, in some parts of the window
John
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2011, 10:20 PM »

And for the next trick its the pancake landing so you can lawn dart with "flare" Tongue
Allen Carter

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2011, 10:35 PM »

i may have spoken too soon.
It would be more accurate to say that I've learned to cartwheel sometimes, with some kites , in some winds, in some parts of the window
John

Remember, roll the kite towards the middle of the window. If you are even 20% off center it makes a big difference. When trying to flip the kite towards the edge of the window, the wind is working against you.

Allen, AKA kitehead
tpatter
Trade Count: (+22)

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2011, 10:44 PM »

Also remember to check for a tip wrap before your re-launch or you can easily break a spar or ferrule.

I was teaching a new flyer to cartwheel last weekend. She was getting it down pretty good, so I decided to give her a few more items to think about. I was in mid sentence mentioning to check the lines for a tip wrap in general before re-launching the kite when I heard the CRACK!

At least it's a mistake that you hopefully only make once!  Smiley

6 kite tom
Kantaxel
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2011, 02:14 AM »

Also remember to check for a tip wrap before your re-launch or you can easily break a spar or ferrule.

I At least it's a mistake that you hopefully only make once!  Smiley
and a huge Amen to that Brother!.........unfortunately it took me three times, and I hope the fourth has been deleted from all future possibiitiies.........

Kant Fly......might just as well buy!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document