GWTW Forum
November 22, 2014, 06:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Recommendations vs. Quantum  (Read 4336 times)
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2011, 12:19 AM »

True mike.  pretty much every NTK line set I have ever gotten was uneven and un stretched so plan on evening them out and prestretching them as one of the first things you do when you get the kite Randy.
DB
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2011, 04:00 PM »

I am also a newbie, and bought a Quantum as my first kite. However, after four months I am not convinced this is all that great of a kite. Maybe it's just my lack of experience and the fact that I am depending on online videos to self-teach myself, but I find the Quantum to be big, bulky, heavy and slow to respond (lots of pull). Also, the wind conditions for this kite are listed in the 4-5 mph range (low end) and I can't get this thing off the ground in much less than 10 mph -- much less keep it airbone. After months I have yet to be able to really say that I am even intermediate at a single trick.  Embarrassed
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #32 on: May 08, 2011, 06:30 PM »

I would say its more lack of experience DB.  THe sweet spot for tricking the quantum is 6-12.  However there are a few settings you need to do.  First I found the best adjustment range for the bridle is middle to low wind and the "forgiving" tow point setting.  Most of the time I leave it at the low wind setting.  THe second thing I did was get a 85'x100# line set to use for tricking.  The stock line set is a bit heavy for low wind tricking in that it has a lot of drag.

Another tip I can give you is get ahold of a video camera and start filming your practice sessions.  Being able to watch yourself fly and compare what your doing to the tutorial vids helped me out a lot since I fly solo most of the time.
Allen Carter
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #33 on: May 08, 2011, 06:58 PM »

In the grand scheme of things, the Quantum is a pretty small kite. Anything less "bulky" is generally harder to learn on because they're faster and more sensitive. Pull is just something to get used to. While the Quantum has good pull for a kite it's size, it's much less than many full size kites. Judging the wind quality is part of the learning experience. Some of what you said could be attributed to bad ground wind, or gusty winds or both.

Allen, AKA kitehead
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum