GWTW Forum
April 19, 2014, 11:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Recommendations vs. Quantum  (Read 3815 times)
Randy101
Trade Count: (0)

« on: April 05, 2011, 06:18 PM »

I'm a senior who hasn't touched a kite in 50 years, but I've recently got the bug again, so here I am.  Needless to say, things have changed somewhat since "back in the day".I've been looking at dual line stunt kites and have more or less settled on the Quantum so far.  The reasons are price point, carbon frame, well-known and respected manufacturer.I've been looking at carbon because I expect I'll lawn dart the thing a few times before I get the hang of it.

I've read everything I could find on the net, including this wonderful forum, but before I pull the trigger I thought I'd give a shout out for advice.  Is there another kite which matches my stated criteria that you would recommend as an alternative to the Quantum?  Thanks for your time and hopefully your input.

Regards
Randy
st3307
Trade Count: (+29)

« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2011, 06:48 PM »

Hiya  Randy    Welocome  to the  forum    and  a  Quantum  is a   very  good   choice   as  a starter    kite   tough  as  nails  and  will  grow    with  you  over  time  as  your   skill devolpe  Grin

Good air always Bobby
bigpappo1
Trade Count: (+8)

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2011, 06:51 PM »

Randy the Quantum will meet your needs. It'a a great Novice to Intermediate kite. If  you live near an area where there's active flying, hang out for a while and talk to the other flyers see what's best for your area. What part of the country are you in?.
chuck
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2011, 06:52 PM »

Hello Randy, welcome back to the hobby.  You really can't go wrong with the quantum as a first choice.  Its a great beginner-intermediate kite for the price and it will do just about anything trick wise, however you need to be very precise on inputs to get it to trick and it does have more of an old school flare and is not a pitchy as some kites.  There are some better choices though that will take you a lot farther in learning.

I started back with a quantum myself but If I had to choose again I'd go with the hypnotist instead.  Its a bit more money but a lot more capable intro kite and will carry you through virtually all the advance stuff.

Flying wings Silver fox is also a good intro kite for the price.

My suggestion though is to talk to Steve here at gwtw.  He was running a special on the french connection which is a more advanced kite yet still pretty tough for beginner mishaps.  IF he is still running the special then it would be the better value since it put the FC in the same price range as the Quantum and you will get a kite that will do anything you want it to, once you learn of course.  Heres the post on that special.  http://www.gwtwforum.com/index.php?topic=4433.0

Also, where are you located?  THere are plenty of people, myself included, that are willing to let you try our kites to see what you might like and help you get started.
Randy101
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2011, 07:12 PM »

Wow!  You guys are fast!  I live in Langley, British Columbia, which is a semi-rural area about an hour from Vancouver.  I live on a farm so I have lots of room to play as long as I dodge the horses.

Being a senior who was seriously affected by the recent economic meltdown, money is an issue.  The Silver Fox looks like a great kite, but it is out of my price range.  The Hypnotist is a mild stretch that I will consider.  The French Connection looks like a great deal, but I didn't follow up on it because of concerns over shipping costs.  I'll drop him a line now and see what the damage is.

The only storefront kite shop that I know of is an hour away in Gastown (Vancouver) and they don't have a website.  I hope to get there later this week for a look around.  FYI most of the Canadian online sources for the Quantum are pricing it around $110 plus shipping.

I did find an Alpha+ on Craigslist for $50.  It's a few years old but is described as complete and in good shape.  I'm thinking about that one too but don't know much about it.

Anyway, thanks for your inputs.  They are greatly appreciated.

Regards
Randy
cerfvoliste
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2011, 07:33 PM »

Another tough little kite that can take some slamming around and is trickier than the Quantum is the Nighthawk by Priemer.
CV

Bob D
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2011, 04:18 AM »

If you don't need something right away, you could post in the Wanted section and see what happens. A Nighthawk is good and maybe you could post for a Quantum too.

Bob D.
ko
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2011, 06:54 AM »

here are a couple. the quantum and the hypnotist offered by are host both are great kites. i believe the hyp. comes with a vid that is well worth a few extra bucks hope this helps http://www.chicokites.com/store/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=29  http://www.chicokites.com/store/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=30

have fun kurt
cerfvoliste
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2011, 10:20 AM »

If you don't need something right away, you could post in the Wanted section and see what happens. A Nighthawk is good and maybe you could post for a Quantum too.

If your Hunting a ton for a Nighthawk I think Steve might have a Connection that has them on sale for $90.
CV

bt
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2011, 09:14 PM »

Hey Randy,
If you live in Langely, B.C. there is a great kite shop in the kids market on Granville Island in Van. I`ll pm you the website....
Also take a trip out to Garry Point Park in Steveston....that`s where the locals fly. Also at Vanier Park in Van.
I`m up on the Sunshine Coast myself....
bt
bigpappo1

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2011, 09:21 PM »

Don't forget he's just starting guy's. Nighthawk is a great lite, but just starting it's to small and too fast, he's going to need some wind to fly the Nighthawk. Maybe a second kite.
Bob D
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2011, 04:13 AM »

The Nighthawk was one of my first kites and I didn't know it was a smaller kite. It's not a bad starter kite but a 2+ meter kite WOULD be slower. It's got pig tail attachments for the bridle to adjust for wind speed so it can fly with different wind speeds. And it's TOUGH! Bigger kites might be more money and $90 is a decent price. (I think I paid $120 for mine years ago.)

Bob D.
DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2011, 05:57 AM »

here are a couple. the quantum and the hypnotist offered by are host both are great kites. i believe the hyp. comes with a vid that is well worth a few extra bucks hope this helps http://www.chicokites.com/store/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=29  http://www.chicokites.com/store/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=30

+1 on the hypnotist. A great starter kite that will take the abuse a beginner puts a kite through.
IMO, stay away from smaller starter kites. They make learning a lot harder than it needs to be.
BTW, buying new from a kite shop (like our host) will get you support you won't get buying a used kite.  Wink

Denny
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 05:58 AM by DWayne » Logged

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
Allen Carter
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2011, 09:38 AM »

The Alpha+ is an OK kite, but not as well made and durable as the Quantum. I think the Quantum is the best all around beginner kite out there. I bought one for my daughter and have flown it quite a bit when she puts it down. It's capable of lots of stuff, so don't worry about outgrowing it.

Allen, AKA kitehead
bigpappo1

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2011, 10:26 AM »

I agree Allen. The Quantum will take you half way or better down the road. I might add Randy kites reproduce pretty fast so go slow until you learn some, then the lid can come off.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Cal Custom
kitekids.net

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography