GWTW Forum
July 23, 2014, 12:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Recommendations vs. Quantum  (Read 3939 times)
cerfvoliste
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2011, 12:46 PM »

Don't forget he's just starting guy's. Nighthawk is a great lite, but just starting it's to small and too fast, he's going to need some wind to fly the Nighthawk. Maybe a second kite.

I think the idea that the Nighthawk is not a good choice for a beginner is ridiculous. I have seen beginners do just fine on the one I used to own. And if you think the Quantum needs less wind, then you have not flown both kites.
CV

Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2011, 12:58 PM »

The Nighthawk is a good starter kite as well but IMO the quantum is a bit more forgiving in the fact that it is a bit slower and a small bit more precise.  THe Nighthawk is trickier but somewhat twitchy and that makes it a bit harder to learn on.  I had both and you really can't go wrong with either one but for a truly novice flier that has little to no experience with dual line kites I lean toward the Quantum or hypnotist as a first kite and lately I prefer the hypnotist since it can do everything in the book and is tough as nails for a small bit more.
Dolphinboy
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2011, 01:08 PM »

The Quantum is a sturdy, easy to fly beginner kite. If you want to learn to fly dual line kites it will take lots of abuse. The Quantum is very limited as a trick kite though and needs about 5 mph plus to get going.

If you want to learn dual line tricking, then the Nighthawk or Hypnotist will do much more trickwise. The Nighthawk is a bit smaller but it's not too fast and it will fly in less wind than the other two. Many new dual line trick fliers have made it their beginning trick kite with good results.

Peace,

James

James -
Grants Pass, Oregon
A few kite videos YouTube / Vimeo (Yes, I am a Slacker)
Ca Ike

« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2011, 01:10 PM »

The Quantum is a sturdy, easy to fly beginner kite. If you want to learn to fly dual line kites it will take lots of abuse. The Quantum is very limited as a trick kite though and needs about 5 mph plus to get going.

If you want to learn dual line tricking, then the Nighthawk or Hypnotist will do much more trickwise. The Nighthawk is a bit smaller but it's not too fast and it will fly in less wind than the other two. Many new dual line trick fliers have made it their beginning trick kite with good results.

Peace,

James
Right.  THe quantum will do pretty much everything but yoyo tricks without a bit of modding and thats why I started leaning toward the hypno as a starter kite. 
bigpappo1
Trade Count: (+8)

« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2011, 01:41 PM »

cerf
Nobody's saying the Nighthawk isn't a good kite, but it's not a beginning level kite as stated by Jon in his own add. Sure a beginning kite flyer can start on one, but a 3/4 size kite was made for stronger winds, at least that's my experience. The nighthawk is rated as a Intermediate to Advanced. Back when I owned a Nighthawk I thought the kite to have some unusual traits especially hard to deal with as a newcomer. The NH is hard to slide, hard to hold a fade, not very precise, and a greater amount of oversteer than a beginning flyer needs. Nothing worse than having a kite that's doing stuff the flyer doesn't know anything about because it's beyond his or her skill level. More than likely he'll be on his own when flying most of the time. Solid and easier to fly seems logical here. Somebody made reference to the deal Steve had on the French Connection UL that would be my recommendation of the three. For the price, trickabilty (as good or better than the Nighthawk) easier to fly, full size, and ability to take punishment it's a great kite. I've probably owned over two hundred sport kites in the past 25 years. Randy I have a Vision that I'd give you if you want to pay shipping, if the next kite that you buy you get from Steve Hall.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 01:59 PM by bigpappo1 » Logged
DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2011, 05:24 PM »

Randy, call Steve at GWTW/Chico Kites. He'll give you the best advice for your particular needs.
He's helped a lot of people get started right.  Wink

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
Dolphinboy
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2011, 12:05 PM »

Peace,

James
Right.  THe quantum will do pretty much everything but yoyo tricks without a bit of modding and thats why I started leaning toward the hypno as a starter kite. 

Actually it won't "do pretty much everything but yoyo tricks". Not even close. Newbie fliers that want to get into tricking could read statements like that and end up needing to replace their kite right away. The Quantum is a fine beginner kite but it isn't tricky.

So if the OP wants to learn dual line flying, the Quantum is fine, but if they want to get into tricking, I would pick something different.

James -
Grants Pass, Oregon
A few kite videos YouTube / Vimeo (Yes, I am a Slacker)
Ca Ike

« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2011, 01:55 PM »

Peace,

James

Actually it won't "do pretty much everything but yoyo tricks". Not even close. Newbie fliers that want to get into tricking could read statements like that and end up needing to replace their kite right away. The Quantum is a fine beginner kite but it isn't tricky.

So if the OP wants to learn dual line flying, the Quantum is fine, but if they want to get into tricking, I would pick something different.
Hmm I have to disagree.  I have been able to do axels, 540's, cascades, JL, backspins, insanes(though sloppy cause I'm still working on this), flic flacs, flic flac-540, A few rough slots and taz machines(also just learning these), rolling susan, coin toss, revers coin toss, flap jack and axel launch on my quantum and that just the tricks I know or have just learned.  I know a few people that have gotten roll up tricks out of it with the addition of zip ties for yoyo stops and I have done a couple roll  ups myself but unsuccessful cause I missed catching the US fittings and don't have stops on mine.  Granted its not the easiest kite to trick but it is trickable.  IT requires precise inputs for tricks like the Qpro and is not very forgiving of bad inputs.
tpatter
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2011, 02:12 PM »

Tricking that kite is like trying to pickup a dime with gloves on.  It can be done, but......

6 kite tom
Ca Ike

« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2011, 02:22 PM »

Tricking that kite is like trying to pickup a dime with gloves on.  It can be done, but......

Yes it is.  You can do it but you have to do it just right, but once you learn to trick a quantum tricking most any other kite is easy.
mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2011, 03:11 PM »

I agree with Prism's recommendations, pure entry level is the Quantum. Already flying and know you want to move into tricks then the Hypnotist is worth the extra bucks if just for the video.

IMO the Quantum is a more well rounded kite for an entry level flier to discover what aspects of kiting they'll enjoy. It has a constant speed and good drive across the window in any wind so control comes easily, it doesn't suffer from over-steer and handles a first time fliers exaggerated inputs well. It'll get those often overlooked basics of control and precision flying down. It'll also do the first tricks you'll be learning just fine. If you get discouraged doing tricks it will still provide hours of fun & relaxation listening to that pleasant buzz & drawing figures in the sky, I highly recommend slapping a tail on it to entertain onlookers & play with the park dogs.

If you do find tricking to be rewarding then you might be looking for a trickier kite and something with a lower wind range next season. The Quantum won't go to waste though, it'll stay in the bag for friends & family or new friends on the field.

« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 03:13 PM by mikenchico » Logged

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Randy101

« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2011, 03:32 PM »

Your responses have been more than I anticipated.  Thank you all who took the time to respond and offer advice.  I've ordered a French Connection UL from Steve.  It sounds like it'll be a little "trickier" than the Quantum and better on calmer days.  And the price point is outstanding.

I expect there'll be more to come when I can afford it Roll Eyes.  Just as a side note, the same thing happened to me with airguns.  HMMM, that Crosman 2240 looks like fun, oh wow, did you see that Alecto, the Drozd is a BB machine gun?, you've got to be kidding, etc. etc.  If any of you are into airguns as well, please come by and see us at http://www.airgunforum.ca/forums/.

Thanks again, Everyone, and I'll drop a line to let you know how the new endeavour is going.

Regards
Randy
ko
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2011, 06:26 PM »

glad to here you got a kite! sounds like if you dont like it you can use it for target practice LOL let us know how it goes , and HAVE FUN  KO

have fun kurt
cerfvoliste
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2011, 05:36 PM »

I've ordered a French Connection UL from Steve.  It sounds like it'll be a little "trickier" than the Quantum and better on calmer days.  And the price point is outstanding.

Regards
Randy

Glad you took the plunge. You can't go wrong with some advice from Steve. There should be a nationally syndicated column called "Ask Steve". He set me straight on my first kite.

CV

mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2011, 12:13 AM »

I think that's a great choice, and that deal Steve has on it can't be beat.

As I recall the line set that came with my standard was pretty equal but as with any factory line set you really should check, stretch and equalize them if needed before your first flight. It really helps to avoid an unpleasant first experience with your new kite.

Hook both loops of the kite end of the lines over something stationary, say a nail in the corral post, and unroll them, pull evenly on the straps with say 30-40 lbs pressure for a minute or two then check that the lengths are still even.

Enjoy your new kite.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document