GWTW Forum
September 18, 2014, 10:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: GWTW Memory Lane: Dan Whitney  (Read 2765 times)
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+19)

« on: April 09, 2011, 09:47 AM »

Many folks on this Forum and around kiting in general these days don't know much if anything about Dan Whitney. Lets make a thread of Dan memories, especially related to the founding of the Forum, but also about GWTW in the old days in general.

I'll start with the sentiment I've heard from many people:

Dan Whitney is the reason I got seriously into kiting.

Dan was the original owner of Gone With The Wind Kites and his website, www.gwtw-kites.com was more than just an e-commerce site, it was a daily destination for kite info, photos and news. Dan's personality permeated the site and carried over to the GWTW Forum when it started. Dan's interest in Community and Fun got this place off on the right foot before he turned it over to Steve and Chris later that year. Dan was around the Forum for a while, but has since retired from the kite world and is doing other things.

I have a few Dan stories and photos I'll post later.

How 'bout some of you old timers tell us more about Dan what he meant to the Forum and you personally.

« Last Edit: April 09, 2011, 09:48 AM by Allen Carter » Logged

Allen, AKA kitehead
Jeepster
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2011, 10:35 AM »

How about a side comment by a new comer?

I was once told to read a review of a dual line kite.  Said the review was very complete and really counted because it was authored by Dan Whitney.  I was puzzled because I didn't realize that "Larry the Cable Guy" flew kites.

Well, now I know better ...

Cheers,
Tom
tech267
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2011, 11:40 AM »

Dan Whitney was not the main reason I got into kiting,
but he was the main reason I got addicted to kiting,
and kite buying.

His late night specials made coming to the website so much fun.
And his providing a place where flyers could trade kites,
thus being able to try out many duel-line kites,
without the expense of buying every one,
is what got me hooked for many years.

Got to know many good kite folks,
from all over the country,
from trading with them here.

Besides that, Dan was just a GREAT guy.

Thanks Dan,
be well my friend.

Bill Haebler
kitebug
Trade Count: (+20)

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2011, 02:47 PM »

I got to meet Dan when he still had the shop in San Carlos, my bud Matt and I went there cus Matt had a broken standoff, Dan called prizm got the specs and built one for him, as he did not have one in stock, he walked us to the storage and we just drooled at all the cool stuff he had.

I did not own a kite yet when I met Dan, he invited us to go hang out with him and fly at shoreline, and I was hooked, the rest is history....

Cheers to Dan,

Cisco

Volando!
Cisco
lylenc
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2011, 06:44 PM »

I think I joined the GWTW forum in 2002. It was after Steve and Chris took over anyway. What I learned about Dan was through the forum and included  costumes, stories, and pictures. It made me wish I had found GWTW earlier. The picture of him putting a Vapor into a flare was cool enough to make the 2004 GWTW Calendar, even though he didn't care for it.

Craig     Walla Walla, WA     Just One More!
Allen Carter
Board Moderator

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2011, 09:30 AM »

Dan loves costumes. His Easter Bunny is awesome (he's pretty tall)

Here's one of my favorites taken by another long gone Forum Member, Stephen Bixby

Halloween, 2003, Shoreline Park.

Danni The Clown flys quad, with Uly as Zorro in the background.

http://replay.waybackmachine.org/20040210023922/http://www.gwtw-kites.com/keepitonkitefly.asp
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 09:55 AM by Allen Carter » Logged

Allen, AKA kitehead
Allen Carter
Board Moderator

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2011, 09:40 AM »

Another favorite Dan photo.

Flying his PL Octopus at my wedding. Classic Dan, he had the smallest kids involved trying to control a huge, unruly kite in stong, swirly wind.  Smiley

He also had a Robertshaw Delta Serpent up. It handled the conditions pretty well.

Allen, AKA kitehead
Allen Carter
Board Moderator

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2011, 10:04 AM »

Many of the contests done the the Forum hark back to the original GWTW site. Dan used to have email-in contests. Guess a number, third email after midnight, best excuse for a day off flying, etc. I once scored a custom red & black Illusion for being the first email after midnight April 1st.

Dan was also a great documenter of kite events. His photo stories made you feel like you were there, or at least wished you were.

One of my favorite stories ended with these nuts fling the Octopus from the top of a very tall lighthouse.

The whole story is here courtesy the WayBack machine:

http://replay.waybackmachine.org/20040210012317/http://www.gwtw-kites.com/pointarenalighthousefunfly.asp

Allen, AKA kitehead
Gardner
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2011, 02:31 PM »

I only met Dan once at the 2003 WSIKF, but I had talked to him enough by telephone to recognize him by voice when we met.  He was "flying" a spikey ball on the beach and there were dozen of kids around.

He was responsible for my kite flying addiction and got me started  with an Aires Diablo.  That kite came to an unfortunate end the first time I flew it, though.  A couple of dogs, running loose in the city part where I fly, ate it.  The sail was shredded.  Dan sold me another Diablo -- the last he had in stock -- at a very special price since KMac decided to quit kitemaking for a while and sold out his shop and designs.

I'm don't really remember the year.  However, it was way back when..

I still have that Diablo in original condition.

Gardner
RonG
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2011, 06:42 PM »

Dan sold me the second stunt kite I bought, and the first "serious" kite - an HQ Jam Session, in 1997.  I literally flew the sail off that kite, and it (and the DG Flight School series) provided me with my entire primary kite education.

I think it's fair to say that if it weren't for Dan giving me a fair deal and lots of great advice, my trajectory in kiting might have been very different, and possibly quite a bit shorter.
onlye
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2011, 05:24 AM »

My first intro to GWTW and Dan was winning a Prism 3D from one of Dan's crazy auctions/contest.  Soon after Dan helped my pick out my first "really good" kite, a Tram 2000.  After that many more...

Got a chance to meet Dan and Brian in New Orleans at the 2000 KTAI meeting.  (The Crescent City Kite Flyers helped host the flying day.)  I drove down and picked them up at the air port to taxi them around.  Ask where they wanted to go first.  Before the hotel we were off to Shoreline Park to fly.  Here is a picture of Dan and me at the demo fly.  Dan is the tall one. Dan was showing that he was always willing to help empty a fellow kite flyers wallet for some new kites.

And a few other pictures from the KTAI
http://onlye.org/ktafly.html
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 04:02 PM by onlye » Logged

eric
forum member since 04/21/2001
and still can't fly like those darn videos
gwarren
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2011, 02:19 PM »

Did something happen to Dan?

Bought many kites from him. even back when he produced a catalog that had most of the pages out of order. 

glen
Allen Carter
Board Moderator

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2011, 03:51 PM »

As far as I know, Dan is still around. This was just part of celebrating the Forum's 10th birthday.

Allen, AKA kitehead
brian champie

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2011, 01:36 PM »

Danny Boy is just fine!
 He still lives in foster City Ca.
He Has burried himself (as he once did with kites) in/with thousands of pixar cars..
He is having as much fun with his new business as he did with Gone With the Wind. You can find him on E-Bay as "Dans car lot sales"
A search will turn up 3 or 4 hundred cars for auction/sale!
 He also has  Web site at  http://errorcars.com/ .
Dan still does a couple kite events with me a year, the next one will be The Marina festival near Monterey on Mothers day weekend
Brian Champie
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document