GWTW Forum
November 22, 2014, 06:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need help with Fighters  (Read 1231 times)
WRDO Wolf
Trade Count: (0)

« on: April 09, 2011, 09:05 PM »

I'm fairly new to the kite community, and beginning to build my collection.  Started looking at Fighter kites but can't seem to find any basic directions on how to properly control a Fighter once I have it up.  If someone could help me with the basics, it would be appreciated.   

Fair winds and following breeze.
Flying Fish
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2011, 11:29 PM »

Tried this site: http://fighterkitecentral.com/?

mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2011, 11:38 PM »

Hmmm... I'm sure you've probably heard or read the basics. A properly setup fighter kite is unstable when held at a neutral tension or releasing line, that is it will spin. Actually when properly tuned and you stall it low to the ground in a nose up position it should "Cobra" (sit and wobble back & forth) at neutral tension. When the nose of the kite is pointed in the direction you want it to go pull in on the line, either hand over hand or with a spool if you choose use one. That causes the bow spar to flex and forms a dihedral allowing the kite to move in a basically straight line. Past that it's pretty much practice to get the feel.

Put a Crepe Paper tail on the kite to start, say 3-4 + feet depending on the kite. It will slow the rotation down significantly and give you straighter flights. Once you are keeping it off the ground rip a third or half off that tail and fly some more. It really helps to get the movements you will be using down with some time to react.

Have you found http://fighterkitecentral.com/ ? much good info there, flight basics, tuning, plans and a forum which is still pretty active. I would go spend some time there. (beat me Dromel)

What kind of fighter have you gotten? I really should get back to building some and flying them again.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
MB
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2011, 11:55 PM »

Anticipate and pull when the nose comes around to where you want to go.  Keep pressure or draw in line to keep it going in that direction. Let out or release pressure to spin.

To me it feels like: pull, push, pull, tug, draw in line, push, let out line, micro pause waiting for nose to come around, pull hard, slight pressure release to change direction, pull and draw in line, let out line, pull, etc.  All within about 20 seconds.  Of course that is with a small zippy kite.

It takes some getting used to the feel for it and timing, but it's doable.

Matt
WRDO Wolf

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2011, 05:47 AM »

Gee here I am thinking its tougher then it really is.  Thanks for the assist folks, now to go out and see how many kites I can damage before getting in an actual "fight"

Allen Carter
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2011, 07:03 AM »

Here's some more basic info:

http://www.gombergkites.com/howfight.html

Self launching is probably the hardest "basic" skill to learn. Having a helper in the form of a person or something bulky to prop the kite against is very helpful. More time spent in the air

Bruces' starter page from fighterkitecentral (kind of buried)

http://fighterkitecentral.com/pdfs/your%20first%20flightrv.pdf
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 07:11 AM by Allen Carter » Logged

Allen, AKA kitehead
tonycarl60
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2011, 01:17 PM »

Here's what I use to launch fighter kites. I cut up a wire clothes hanger to form a large U and pushed it down the corrugations in the cardboard.
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/_3ZEEy1wCCQE/S84Y9_maXAI/AAAAAAAAAOc/cBVvbsSV5JA/s128/IMG_0180.JPG
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 01:22 PM by tonycarl60 » Logged
WRDO Wolf

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2011, 03:33 PM »

Sweet little trick.  Inexpensive and get the job done.  I just bought a new string trimmer, now I have a use for the box too.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum